ProPlates - Siliconed On or Fitted From Behind the Handle? (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Hi everyone :)

I want to get some ProPlates fitted to our Fiat Ducato based MH. I've seen some that can be siliconed on here

and others that need the door taking apart here

I'd like opinions on both, please, as I'm unsure which to get. If I get the siliconed ones, I could fit them myself. For the fitted ones, I'd have to pay someone to do it for me (although I don't know who could do that). Which ones should I go for, please? Or does it not matter? Thank you :)

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I used prickstops on my last MH, ducato C class. Was a bit of a job removing the inner door cover, but once in dead easy.

I'm too scared to fit the fitted ones myself. I'd worry that I'd damage something or mess up the electrics. On the video, it shows no end of things being removed or disconnected and I'm just not confident in doing that, so I'd need to pay someone to do it for me.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I have no experience of either BUT, if they were stuck on the outside, couldn't they be sliced off with a sharp instrument or blade or is there provision to stop that? 🤔

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I have no experience of either BUT, if they were stuck on the outside, couldn't they be sliced off with a sharp instrument or blade or is there provision to stop that? 🤔

That's what I wondered but I'm unsure how easy that would be. On first appearance, it seems the siliconed ones are a cheaper version of the fitted ones, so I'd go for the fitted ones, normally. My only issue is with having no one to fit them for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I think the ones that are stuck on the outside are there as a deterrent as unless you are able the push them under the door handle seal then they are unlikely to prevent the door being opened.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I fitted my pro plates ,took off the door skins and handles,it actually quite easy when you get into it. If you have any DIY skills you wouldn't be able to do it. Good luck
Cheers Cris 🍻.

Reactions: HKF
OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I fitted my pro plates ,took off the door skins and handles,it actually quite easy when you get into it. If you have any DIY skills you wouldn't be able to do it. Good luck
Cheers Cris 🍻.

I do have some diy skills but nothing to do with door skins or electrics :)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I fitted pro plates with the inner protection channel to all the doors on my previous PVC. Nothing is technically hard. No special tools or skills required. But some were really frustrating because you're threading on nuts blind and in awkward places. I kept dropping the fixings into the depths of the door inners.

Tip: It's also a good opportunity to put in sound and thermal insulation where your converter didn't bother.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I do have some diy skills but nothing to do with door skins or electrics :)
I'm sure you would do it ok then ,if you watched the YouTube videos and took your time.
You could start the job and if you felt uncomfortable stop and put back what you had done and then get a garage to do it but I'd definitely fit them under the handle and not silicone them .
Cheers Cris 🍻

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
There are plenty of commercial van mobile security fitters. It's the same van at the front, you just need to find one where you are with decent reviews.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
There are plenty of commercial van mobile security fitters. It's the same van at the front, you just need to find one where you are with decent reviews.

I live in France, where it's not so easy to find mobile anything :)

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
I live in France, where it's not so easy to find mobile anything :)
So I understand. I thought you were currently in the UK?

Did you get the alarm fitted? Belt but no braces is better than neither!

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
So I understand. I thought you were currently in the UK?

Did you get the alarm fitted? Belt but no braces is better than neither!

No, I'm not in the UK right now although we do have a trip back there coming up, which we're hoping to do in the MH and get an alarm fitted. Before that, though, we have to go to Spain, Italy and Austria.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
No, I'm not in the UK right now although we do have a trip back there coming up, which we're hoping to do in the MH and get an alarm fitted. Before that, though, we have to go to Spain, Italy and Austria.
Why not silicone and 3 pop rivets, it will wake you when they drill the rivets but should deter them before then? 🤔

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
That is WAY beyond my capabilities!! :eek:

I'm surprised that pop riveting is beyond you but if that is the case, get someone else to fit plates inside the door, most van security companies that supply them will normally fit them IF you think it necessary! 🤔

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
There are plenty if examples around where I live (London) of attempts to prise these plates off courier vans, you can see their edges bent from attacks and they seem to stay in place …

Doubt if it would work if they were stuck on

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I'm surprised that pop riveting is beyond you but if that is the case, get someone else to fit plates inside the door, most van security companies that supply them will normally fit them IF you think it necessary! 🤔

Why are you surprised at that? :unsure:

Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Book a professional van security guy to fit pro plates when back in the uk. In the meantime get a strap to fix your passenger and drivers door together by looping through the armrests 👍😁😎

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Why are you surprised at that? :unsure:

Sorry, I've had VW campers in various guises for the past 50+yrs, naturally I assume everyone can drill a hole and inserting a pop rivet.
An essential makeshift tool along with gaffer tape! 😄

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Sorry, I've had VW campers in various guises for the past 50+yrs, naturally I assume everyone can drill a hole and inserting a pop rivet.
An essential makeshift tool along with gaffer tape! 😄

I wouldn't dare drill a hole anywhere in my MH :eek: I thought long and hard about putting up a sticky-backed sign that says 'Cuisine' and sticking a roll of 12v LED lights up. Can you imagine how long it would take me to get over the fright of drilling a HOLE ?!?! :eek::eek:

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
I can't see how it can be possible to fit any proplate over a door handle and slot it behind without loosening the door handle from inside the door.

Has anyone fitted one of these easy fit proplates?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I can't see how it can be possible to fit any proplate over a door handle and slot it behind without loosening the door handle from inside the door.

You don't have to loosen the handle, just strengthen the door metal underneath it I believe? 🤔

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
I baulked at the idea of pulling the door of new van apart, so I asked a body shop to spray the Proplate to match van and fit.
Much less anxiety and a better finish.
I struggled to find anyone (glasgow) would would fit one.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp

I unbolted the handles. I think I left the attached cables on place though, the plates just slipped over... It was a few years ago...

I used the version that included an internal channel that was supposed to make it even tougher for a thief to fish into the mechanism and get in. Made it more fiddly to fit.

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
I unbolted the handles. I think I left the attached cables on place though, the plates just slipped over... It was a few years ago...

I used the version that included an internal channel that was supposed to make it even tougher for a thief to fish into the mechanism and get in. Made it more fiddly to fit.
I did exactly the same as you. Obviously had to remove the internal door card.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back