Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 12, 2021
Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Malvern
Exp
Since 1999
The government website tells me I should be able to purchase my prescription medicine in Spain. What are your experiences of doing this?
How did you go about it?
Wales only allows me two months supply and I will be away a lot longer!
It also says that, as a pensioner, I only need to pay 10% of the cost.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
The government website tells me I should be able to purchase my prescription medicine in Spain. What are your experiences of doing this?
How did you go about it?
I told my GPs I would be away for more than two months and they gave me another two months worth.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Love to know how the Spanish pharmacy will know I entitled to prescription meds? I only get two months in England.
I order my repeats on the surgery website and whenever I collect meds there's always a paper copy of the prescription with it which I take abroad with me. Never had any problems.

I told my GPs I would be away for more than two months and they gave me another two months worth.
Yes, I did the same this year and got extras to cover the long trip away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
Produce proof of script.
If you use an app.... NHS, AIRMID, SYSTM ONLINE etc your prescriptions will be on the app..... When can be ordered, quantity etc

I use patient access to re-order my prescription every two months or so. This year I should be lucky as the re-order date is a week and a bit before I go away. But in case of emergency it would be nice that I can get some.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Same here but we only get 3 months worth plus we order on line and have some one collect if we are away. We try to order a couple of weeks up front . Don't forget tabs are packaged in 28's. So not a full month. If you order 2 weeks early every time you can build up a little stock as a back up or in case the pharmacy runs short. (y)
How did you go about it?
If you get your prescriptions filled in Spain still order your meds on line so you have a back up for when you return. Just get someone to collect them

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We were in Spain in January and Mrs Emmit discovered she was short of one of her medicines that she obtained by prescription.
We matched up the Rambla in Barcelona on a Sunday morning and found a pharmacia open and thronged with people.
The lady behind the counter took her prescription and disappeared behind a computer terminal.
She then came back with a months worth of prescription and demanded.....10 cents! :Eeek:
She said would have been cheaper but we didn't have a Spanish social security card.

OP
OP
jeddy
Mar 12, 2021
Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Malvern
Exp
Since 1999
Wales NHS are adamant two months only. Have tried.
Have managed to build up enough of one tablet to last three months but just been prescribed a new tablet. Heading south in early December.
My prescription is for 56 days but won’t give me twice that.
Anybody else, besides Emmit (thanks) actually got their prescription from a Spanish pharmacy with no problems?

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We live in wales and write a letter to our gp surgery Manager giving our dates. Currently for over 3 months and she organised all our scripts to be collected from the chemist.

I have also bought my meds (for MS) in Turkey, Spain, India and Mexico.

Take either a packet with your name on or the paperwork that comes with your meds from the chemist and they will sell them to you.

If it’s statins, blood pressure, thyroid or nothing too medically extreme they will be in stock if not they can usually get them that day.
Prices are very reasonable. My HRT patches are strangely expensive in Spain but 3 months of one drug was only €9!

Edit we are in Carmarthenshire.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
In Benidorm I just asked for Ramipril at the pharmacy and they gave it me, I was told by the folks on the camp site though you can take one of your tablet boxes as proof, or the prescription ticket of course.

Oct 19, 2019
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Swift
Exp
Since 2012
Most of the UK prescription medication is available over the counter in Spain. Take the empty box to the pharmacy and they will supply the medication as long as it isnt a controlled drug.

Dec 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
I was in Ayamonte (ES) in early March this year. Took my scrip and empty tablet box to a pharmacy, they just shook their head. Next pharmacy, said as it was a UK scrip and not a Spanish one,no sorry. Third pharmacy no problem.Luckily they have a lot of pharmacies there.Had exactly the same experience in Le-Treport,N.France last year,first pharmacy no go,second no problem.No refusals in Portugal yet. Maybe my experience was different as it was an antibiotic I needed.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Just take your prescription into a Pharmacia and they should supply it okay, have done this many times over the last 18 years. They are usually quite cheap as well, the most expensive item is Paracetamol so we have learned to take plenty with us .

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I’m pretty sure the national rules for England are you are entitled for up to 3 months supply if going away on holiday, cannot recall the name if the Gov department who manage the prescription rules but I spoke to them and was told that personally some years ago.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I’m pretty sure the national rules for England are you are entitled for up to 3 months supply if going away on holiday, cannot recall the name if the Gov department who manage the prescription rules but I spoke to them and was told that personally some years ago.
Yes I get 3 lots when going away 👍

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
actually got their prescription from a Spanish pharmacy with no problems?
They have tightened up lately but should usually be ok with a prescription or even the box.what is it you are needing?
Paracetamol so we have learned to take plenty with us .
You can buy Xumadol which is paracetemol 1000mg in either tablet or powder form , 40 tabs or sachets,& is around 2,80€ BUT they have now cracked down on supplying paracetemol in amounts of 'over 10' so many farmacias will not supply them without a prescription:rolleyes: My one I have no problem but I have been refused in others.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Wales NHS are adamant two months only. Have tried.
Have managed to build up enough of one tablet to last three months but just been prescribed a new tablet. Heading south in early December.
My prescription is for 56 days but won’t give me twice that.
Anybody else, besides Emmit (thanks) actually got their prescription from a Spanish pharmacy with no problem
Hi, I didn't want you thinking that Mrs Emmit got the medication with her actual NHS prescription.
Just to clarify, she gave the assistant the counterfoil from her written script along with the packet to help in identifying the medication which was amatriptyline.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back