POTHOLES ... are drivers' biggest bugbear, RAC finds (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The roads are an embarrassment when we get visitors from Poland, I try and drive round them.
Letting the roads disintegrate surely doesn't save money in the long term šŸ™„

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Potholes are a pain.

However, worse than them I find 'Gully grates' just as bad, if not worse.

Down here at the 'Pointy bit', roads are narrow, even the 'A' roads.
(there are 'A' roads down here that are less than 6mts wide and don't have road markings.)

As a result of the narrowness, one is forced on occasions to be 'at the edge' and the
grates taking the water away seem, (to my eyes anyway) to be sunken down, way below
the road surface. The jarring of traversing them makes some potholes seem acceptable.
At least one can steer around potholes. With grates, it's either them or a collision.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Road maintenance has been below that required to stop our roads deteriorating for a long time. Quick patches only work on the most superficial of surface damage.

Once a pothole has developed, it's broken into the lower sub layers of the structure and damage quickly occurs. The top coarse has to be stripped away and the base has to be repaired. Slapping tarmac in the hole or putting binding and chippings over the top of pointless because it'll quickly fail again. It's a short term fix that costs more in the long term.

It going to cost vast sums of money just to get our roads back to a minimum standard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back