Position Of Crit Air Certificate On The Windscreen?

• Thread starter Thread starter KD
  • Start date Start date

KD

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
According to the French Youtube video, the Crit Air certificate should be positioned in the bottom right of the windscreen. I'm assuming from the video that this is the RHS looking out from the drivers seat - in other words on the passenger side for a LHD vehicle. But looking at Google, there are also mentions of this being a MoT failure in the UK, suggestions that it should be on the passenger side (so left when looking out for a UK vehicle), and even top rather than bottom of the screen.

Where do others place theirs? (ours is a RHD Fiat Ducato-based coachbuilt)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
According to the French Youtube video, the Crit Air certificate should be positioned in the bottom right of the windscreen. I'm assuming from the video that this is the RHS looking out from the drivers seat - in other words on the passenger side for a LHD vehicle. But looking at Google, there are also mentions of this being a MoT failure in the UK, suggestions that it should be on the passenger side (so left when looking out for a UK vehicle), and even top rather than bottom of the screen.

I think the clue is "looking at Google" - just follow the instructions that come with the sticker. Never heard of failing to place a sticker in the right place on the windscreen being an MOT failure - unless of course it is within the arc of the windscreen wipers and in the driver's eye-line . . . . So far passed three MOTs with the German one in place and one with both German and French.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I think the Germans made a mistake with ours

image.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
I got a green one for my old Hymer, should have been yellow but didn't complain. :giggle:

You can't get yellow or red umwelt stickers anymore.

Pete

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013

I'm in Toulouse now and every French vehicle I see is bottom RHS. Remember that a UK vehicle is LHD, but when in France you drive and pull into the RHS, so the sticker is intended to go "kerbside"... The wardens (if any exist) can then view your sticker safety from the pavement.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
1991 swift kontiki
Exp
4years

kerbside in france

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Titaniu
Exp
Since 2018

Just a little thought, can’t it be slipped into a clear sleeve on the screen like we used to put tax discs? That way it could come out for the MOT or when using anywhere non-CritAir, also swap for the German one or any others needed where you’re heading

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
The instructions are clear when you receive it. But for those who are incapable of reading simple instructions - Bottom RH Corner as looking out of the windscreen. So curb side on the roads in France!
Exactly. Put in the very low right hand side against the pillar and you will not have any problems. Computers with cameras read them on French roads and if you were to place it on the other side, you may well get an automatic ticket.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If I put mine in the bottom right corner, even being left hand drive, that screen part is shaded black. Now I have so many I have the french & german ones on clear perspex inside the screen & the spaish one stuck to the screen. Think I'll get another spanish one so that can go on the perspex also.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 4
Exp
Since 2022
I must be one of those who can’t understand the instructions…
I guess I got the Swiss vignette wrong too. I just like to keep my screen clear.

Spent all of June in France and Switzerland, no tickets through yet.

IMG_5870.jpeg

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Some might say that any label should be positioned according to how the viewer would see it.

Therefore 'bottom RH corner' would be as seen from facing the vehicle.

Tee Hee

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Exactly. Put in the very low right hand side against the pillar and you will not have any problems. Computers with cameras read them on French roads and if you were to place it on the other side, you may well get an automatic ticket.
I'm not sure how it is actually enforced in France, but roadside cameras snapping the actual sticker seems unlikely to me. Once registered, the vehicle will be on the database, so much more practical to use standard ANPR cameras that read the vehicle numberplate. (Same as ULEZ in the UK).

I suspect that the physical sticker is perhaps relatively unimportant. This is bourne out by the fact that when you apply for a sticker online, it specifically says that you can use the confirmation email as proof of registration while waiting for the sticker to arrive in the post.

I've no evidence of the above, just my hunch, and happy to be put right by anyone better informed.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Just out of pure inquisitiveness I have read the QR code on our Crit'air sticker...

DC04FR04IN021FEC1FECA701FRA0GBA1VK66VVUA2VOLKSWAGENA4WV1ZZZ7HZGH118939A5N1 A6GOA9120AMA3MOTORHOMEWICRCYPX24XRJDHNRJYLRB5FPK6L7KCFYELBBSA2O2J642BDNEJP7HYP7OOZNN3ZMTSSIMPNHRINRTSR67LYDYAP34YFZFIFXUF43DI

Notice that it has quite a lot of info off the V5C including Make, Reg mark VIN, body type, etc.
Yes I know you can all read that about my motor but so can anyone else who walks past it.

Upvote 0

GrahamCardiff

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC Sunlight Cliff
Exp
Since 2018
I guess I got the Swiss vignette wrong too. I just like to keep my screen clear.

View attachment 803638

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I'm not sure how it is actually enforced in France, but roadside cameras snapping the actual sticker seems unlikely to me. Once registered, the vehicle will be on the database, so much more practical to use standard ANPR cameras that read the vehicle numberplate. (Same as ULEZ in the UK).

I suspect that the physical sticker is perhaps relatively unimportant. This is bourne out by the fact that when you apply for a sticker online, it specifically says that you can use the confirmation email as proof of registration while waiting for the sticker to arrive in the post.

I've no evidence of the above, just my hunch, and happy to be put right by anyone better informed.
From my comment above you can see what info is on the French sticker.

Nothing other than the Reg No on a German one and that's probably faded away if yours like mine was sourced from the Berlin official office as they only write it on with a marker pen!

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

View attachment 803638
I think also that you need to put the windscreen wipers on the right way.When they are bignlittle ones the bigger one goes on the drivers side,so screen is fully cleared

Nothing other than the Reg No on a German one and that's probably faded away if yours like mine was sourced from the Berlin official office as they only write it on with a marker pen!
same as mine . i've had mine in a tax disc holder for a few years and only stuck on perspex the other day. Was worried that the clear cover wouldn't peel off but it did eventually . perfectly readablestill

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
Just out of pure inquisitiveness I have read the QR code on our Crit'air sticker...

DC04FR04IN021FEC1FECA701FRA0GBA1VK66VVUA2VOLKSWAGENA4WV1ZZZ7HZGH118939A5N1 A6GOA9120AMA3MOTORHOMEWICRCYPX24XRJDHNRJYLRB5FPK6L7KCFYELBBSA2O2J642BDNEJP7HYP7OOZNN3ZMTSSIMPNHRINRTSR67LYDYAP34YFZFIFXUF43DI

Notice that it has quite a lot of info off the V5C including Make, Reg mark VIN, body type, etc.
Yes I know you can all read that about my motor but so can anyone else who walks past it.
That info is available to anybody walking past your van anyway......

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

KD

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Thank you to all who replied. My confusion - and the original reason I went to Google - was "right hand side" on the official letter with the sticker, but not specifying whether that was viewed from the inside - as it clearly seems it should be - or outside. Anyway, problem now solved :)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Thank you to all who replied. My confusion - and the original reason I went to Google - was "right hand side" on the official letter with the sticker, but not specifying whether that was viewed from the inside - as it clearly seems it should be - or outside. Anyway, problem now solved :)
All references relating to Left & Right on a Motor vehicle are ALWAYS as viewed from the rear of the vehicle looking forward.
That applies to 'handed' parts and any other descriptions of the vehicle.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back