Portugal Toll Roads (1 Viewer)

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Hi all, I'm off to Portugal soon and I have a bip and go (emmovis) toll tag. Does this cover all Portuguese toll roads or do I have to register elsewhere too?

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Best to register van and a credit card on line with one of the systems OldCodger has the details.
Overhead gantries clock your register and tot up the bill as you go. - reasonably cheap system.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for the heads up RobbyMClark !

Mleabon I don’t know if Emovis works with Via Verde and the electronic gantries.

EDIT: it looks like it does but you need separate tags for France and Spain/Portugal

Here’s the general way the toll work

There are two toll systems in Portugal.

1) The traditional take a ticket / pay on exit types. Used on the older motorways They work the same as in many other European countries.

Many are contactless BUT. remember every 10th contactless payment needs the credit card pin putting in - and sometimes mine stop working awkward.

2) The “all electronic gantries” which are on the newer ones.

If you don’t want the hassle of registering for a second toll tag, then heres what to do. Go to this website and pre register The registration only lasts a month so if you need longer don’t forget to renew.

Scroll down the bit about eazytolls.

Just enter your registration number and credit card and payments are taken periodically. It can sometimes take a couple of weeks for the bills to arrive!

Tolls roads in Portugal are generally well maintained and other than around the major cities (Porto,Lisbon, Algarve) generally very quiet. They are also very cheap. A one hour drive from here to Lisbon Airport (100k) is about €6.60 each way.

It is a bit disconcerting that there are the toll gantries every junction but the “price list” is displayed and it is often 10-15c a junction.

It sounds complicated but once you get the hang of it it’s simple.

PS You can also register your vehicle and credit card at the first service station in Portugal on some of the major routes in. Theres a special “toll booth”. Drive in, it reads your number plate, put your credit card in and off you go!

Hope this helps

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mleabon
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Thanks for the heads up RobbyMClark !

Mleabon I don’t know if Emovis works with Via Verde and the electronic gantries.

EDIT: it looks like it does but you need separate tags for France and Spain/Portugal

Here’s the general way the toll work

There are two toll systems in Portugal.

1) The traditional take a ticket / pay on exit types. Used on the older motorways They work the same as in many other European countries.

Many are contactless BUT. remember every 10th contactless payment needs the credit card pin putting in - and sometimes mine stop working awkward.

2) The “all electronic gantries” which are on the newer ones.

If you don’t want the hassle of registering for a second toll tag, then heres what to do. Go to this website and pre register The registration only lasts a month so if you need longer don’t forget to renew.

Scroll down the bit about eazytolls.

Just enter your registration number and credit card and payments are taken periodically. It can sometimes take a couple of weeks for the bills to arrive!

Tolls roads in Portugal are generally well maintained and other than around the major cities (Porto,Lisbon, Algarve) generally very quiet. They are also very cheap. A one hour drive from here to Lisbon Airport (100k) is about €6.60 each way.

It is a bit disconcerting that there are the toll gantries every junction but the “price list” is displayed and it is often 10-15c a junction.

It sounds complicated but once you get the hang of it it’s simple.

PS You can also register your vehicle and credit card at the first service station in Portugal on some of the major routes in. Theres a special “toll booth”. Drive in, it reads your number plate, put your credit card in and off you go!

Hope this helps
Thanks very much. Really useful.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I'm renting a car at Faro in just over a week and wondering how the system will operate? Apparently I'm going to have to pay €35 for some device in the car?

Be interested to know if anybody can provide guidance on how it all works with rental vehicles? Will probably only be using the east-west motorway along the Algarve (A22). :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I'm renting a car at Faro in just over a week and wondering how the system will operate? Apparently I'm going to have to pay €35 for some device in the car?

Be interested to know if anybody can provide guidance on how it all works with rental vehicles? Will probably only be using the east-west motorway along the Algarve (A22). :unsure:
Normally the rental cars are fitted with a tag. If your don't use the toll road you pay nothing, if you do you pay a Euro 5.0 activation fee and then whatever charges you clock up. Marina car hire is very good if you have yet to book. Bear in mind that normal roads in Portugal are good so using the tolls is not strictly necessary although the N125 from Faro west can get busy and slow.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016

Yes. It’s now the law. Hire car companies have to provide toll tags. And of course they charge you for the privilege - usually a couple of € a day up to a max. (If you are lucky)

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Normally the rental cars are fitted with a tag. If your don't use the toll road you pay nothing, if you do you pay a Euro 5.0 activation fee and then whatever charges you clock up. Marina car hire is very good if you have yet to book. Bear in mind that normal roads in Portugal are good so using the tolls is not strictly necessary although the N125 from Faro west can get busy and slow.
Sadly not quite the case. They use it as the excuse to empty your wallet. Use just one electronic toll and you pay the lot.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Not my experience prior to the legislation and since. The company I use always has a tag fitted in the car but only charges for its "hire" if you use it. They also pay the charges and I pay them. They have never expected or allowed their customers to pay the toll company.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
All very helpful - thanks! (y)

And yes, we will be heading west from Faro. :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements