• Well done, you found us. THIS IS THE NEW SERVER

Plymouth-Santander: seat or cabin? (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I haven't previously used a long crossing to Spain as crossing to northern france is so convenient for me. However, on the next trip I will be starting from the midlands and so a crossing to Santander looks a reasonable option. Plymouth will only be 60 miles extra compared to Portsmouth, so that is my current favourite.

There are various cabin options, cheapest is around £90 but a seat is only £11. With the Plymouth crossing being so much shorter than from Portsmouth, I was wondering if a seat would be a sensible option. I wondered if anyone had tried it and could comment?

I would be a very grateful recipient of a code to make the cost cheaper, if someone would be kind enough to make one available!

Jun 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Apache Hi Line 634
Not sure how long Plymouth is to Spain (believe shorter), but from Portsmouth use cabin due to 2 nights crossing.

OP
OP
Whitebirdyman
Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Not sure how long Plymouth is to Spain (believe shorter), but from Portsmouth use cabin due to 2 nights crossing.
It is 15:45 one day until 13:15 the next, therefore much shorter than the Portsmouth alternative.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Along with my son and some mates we once tried the seat option on the shorter crossing to Cherbourg on a motorcycle tour, and ended up sleeping on the floor. Personally I wouldn’t even consider it an option for the Santander run.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It is not unusual to see peeps crashed out in corners around the vessel.

They must have bought a seat because you cannot make a booking without one.

I suppose it depends on what you carry that you could transfer out of the 'van to
make your night more comfortable.

OP
OP
Whitebirdyman
Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
Thanks to Mike123 for the code and everyone else for the opinions on seats, I will go with the advice and book a cabin.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Wouldn't consider not having a cabin! We have dogs that share it too, so that's my excuse, even for a short Portsmouth St Malo crossing.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We crossed Hook of Holland to Harwich on the super fast catamaran many years ago. The seats were benches and not particularly comfortable. The lounge was mainly dark so a little eerie. We only did it once 😉

With some other staff I supervised a group of 40 teenage school kids in the lounge overnight (cheap!) from Cherbourg to Portsmouth. Other passengers had to contend with them moving around, chatting, playing music etc. It didn’t help that it was a rough crossing so the communal toilets were awash with ……🙄

My advice: enjoy the start of your holiday!

Gordon

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Been having the same thought on the Ireland ferry cross through the night decided cabin its only 4 hours or cross through the day day crossing has won if I go

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Been having the same thought on the Ireland ferry cross through the night decided cabin its only 4 hours or cross through the day day crossing has won if I go

We did the overnight Fishguard to Rosslare a couple of years ago and stayed up in the lounge. There are only a few bench seats where it’s possible to stretch out fully, so it wasn’t very comfortable. In the similar length overnight crossing from Dieppe to Newhaven I’ve twice taken our lightweight Thermarest sleeping mats with us and managed a few hours decent shuteye. Any longer crossing and it’s deffo a cabin for us.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
We did the overnight Fishguard to Rosslare a couple of years ago and stayed up in the lounge. There are only a few bench seats where it’s possible to stretch out fully, so it wasn’t very comfortable. In the similar length overnight crossing from Dieppe to Newhaven I’ve twice taken our lightweight Thermarest sleeping mats with us and managed a few hours decent shuteye. Any longer crossing and it’s deffo a cabin for us.
I'm looking at Liverpool to Belfast so it's easy midmorning from Liverpool so can travel on the day or probably the night before and straight to overnight stop after disembarkation . If I crossed from south Wales home to boat and then get a few miles under my wheels to head north.
I have been to Southern Ireland many times but NI only once for a quick week. I think I'll wait to see how the new parliament works out .I'm not going until mid March.and then it's only one option

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
I'm looking at Liverpool to Belfast so it's easy midmorning from Liverpool so can travel on the day or probably the night before and straight to overnight stop after disembarkation . If I crossed from south Wales home to boat and then get a few miles under my wheels to head north.
I have been to Southern Ireland many times but NI only once for a quick week. I think I'll wait to see how the new parliament works out .I'm not going until mid March.and then it's only one option
Decent boat Birkenhead to Belfast! Food same as cross channel though. Think it's still P&O.
Northern Ire is a gorgeous place and very undersold as a destination. Sure you will have a great time, people warm and friendly. And Guinness cold (y)

Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
Went to Santander years ago when they used to have entertainment. Did the early evening quiz and watched a very good queen tribute act whilst consuming several pints. Theory was if I drank enough I would sleep through anything. I hadn't reckoned on the deaf french guy who insisted on playing with the TV all night and turning the volume up to disco level. There were very good showers though. But through lack of sleep I was one of the first in the breakfast queue at about 7. :(

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Have done Plymouth to Santander several times (and return). Don't even think about a seat. If you are going to start driving some distance when you get off you need a good night's sleep (and having driven from the Midlands). Have always found Santander port quite efficient and friendly, so you should be able to get away quite quickly.

Regards,

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Went to Santander years ago when they used to have entertainment. Did the early evening quiz and watched a very good queen tribute act
I remember those days but you are looking back fifty years or the like, a fabulous cabaret show with some of the staff doing numbers also. I cannot remember the name of the ship but it had a massive auditorium.

Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
I remember those days but you are looking back fifty years or the like, a fabulous cabaret show with some of the staff doing numbers also. I cannot remember the name of the ship but it had a massive auditorium.
Only 15 years 2008. The queen tribute had played Freddie Mercury in the west end musical so was very good

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Done Plymouth to Santander route a few times and although it is the shortest crossing, personally, I wouldn't consider going without a cabin. Yes, they seem expensive, but privacy and comfort essential for that length of voyage. :giggle:

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Only 15 years 2008. The queen tribute had played Freddie Mercury in the west end musical so was very good

We may have been slightly later than that even. It was a Michael Jackson tribute. The only one to have been given a standing ovation by MJ apparently...

Was it Pont Aven maybe?

And yes, cabin.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I wasn’t referring to the Queen tribute act they were probably not even on the map back then l was referring to the show that was put on. Probably 1960 difficult to recall as it was so long ago.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back