Planning fitting Gaslow external filling point (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
Had a variety of tents, tipis, motorhomes, caravans and now back to a coach built motorhome!
So a fellow Funster has sold me a nearly new 11kg Gaslow bottle which came with a rubber filler hose.
I’ve bought a Sill mount square box fill point with a long bracket, as it was quite low profile.
So I’m now starting to plan the installation, and inviting any comments or suggestions on fitting.

This morning I’ve temporarily clamped the filling point in place. Where it’s positioned there is a strong steel bracket behind that I can fix to so seems ideal.

My plan was to run the filling hose through one of the vents to avoid modifying the vehicle as much as possible. It seems like I should protect the rubber hose from any chafing that might happen. Is there a proper way to do this?
Should the hose be fixed / clipped to the underside to minimise any possible flex and then chafing?

Here’s some photos hopefully self explanatory.
Advice gratefully received.

IMG_1757.jpeg
IMG_1758.jpeg
IMG_1759.jpeg
IMG_1760.jpeg
IMG_1761.jpeg

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Personally I would have gone for a fill point in the side skirt, it looks well supported, and for either method a new hole through into the cabinet from underneath in the most convenient position. Then a large rubber grommet and the hose run in flexible conduit to protect it.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
That position as shown is too low ... apart from picking up sh1t from the road which WILL get into the internal threads and non-return valve, you will be on your knees trying to attach the fill hose from the pump.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
That position is almost exactly where Autogas 2000 fitted my fill point for an underslung on my PVC, i.e. in front of the rear wheel. Been on for a year and some 6,000 miles and remains nice and clean inside as the plastic cover fits nice and snug. But I do also have mudflaps on the front wheels.

Yes careful positioning needed when pulling up to the lpg pump, not too close to any kerb else you don't have space for an inflexible pump hose to move about. Also may be more conventional to have the spigots on the valve horizontal, not vertical as in the photo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DaveS
Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
Had a variety of tents, tipis, motorhomes, caravans and now back to a coach built motorhome!
It'll pick up a lot of muck in that position so fit some sort of cover or you'll have gas leaks galore when filling.
There is a cover on it which you can see in one of the pictures.

OP
OP
DaveS
Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
OP
OP
DaveS
Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
That position as shown is too low ... apart from picking up sh1t from the road which WILL get into the internal threads and non-return valve, you will be on your knees trying to attach the fill hose from the pump.
There is a cover for it. I did think it might be too low, but a fellow funster had it at that height with no issues, plus I could move it if it becomes a pain to fill.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I put mine thorough the vent for the same reasons and it works well. I did put the fill point in the valance though.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Is there a vehicle jacking point behind that filler location (in case it interferes with the jacking/winding handle etc)?

OP
OP
DaveS
Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
Is there a vehicle jacking point behind that filler location (in case it interferes with the jacking/winding handle etc)?
No nothing there, but good to check!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Personally I would have gone for a fill point in the side skirt, it looks well supported, and for either method a new hole through into the cabinet from underneath in the most convenient position. Then a large rubber grommet and the hose run in flexible conduit to protect it.

A fill point in the side skirt is good if the skirt is strong alloy, like ours, but if 'plastic' it needs a supporting block behind to take the weight of the filling nozzle.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Make sure that you will definitely be able to get the filler gun on the inlet, ie it doesn't snag on the skirt etc. I used the one where you screw in the appropriate inlet/adaptor and found that the standard length UK one was too short so bought a longer one, but as you have a fixed one I'm not sure if it will be long enough already or not.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
There is a cover for it. I did think it might be too low, but a fellow funster had it at that height with no issues, plus I could move it if it becomes a pain to fill.
I'm speaking from experience as mine is only 300mm above road level and I find it to be a pain in the bum back and more so as I get older and less agile ... in fact I will probably move it into the gas locker iven if I get refused service sometimes.

OP
OP
DaveS
Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
I'm speaking from experience as mine is only 300mm above road level and I find it to be a pain in the bum back and more so as I get older and less agile ... in fact I will probably move it into the gas locker iven if I get refused service sometimes.
Noted!

OP
OP
DaveS
Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
Make sure that you will definitely be able to get the filler gun on the inlet, ie it doesn't snag on the skirt etc. I used the one where you screw in the appropriate inlet/adaptor and found that the standard length UK one was too short so bought a longer one, but as you have a fixed one I'm not sure if it will be long enough already or not.
Thank you, will bear in mind.

OP
OP
DaveS
Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
It will get mucky there and you will lose the filler cap,I would have bought a tethered cap! 👍😁
It really doesn’t come off easily, but I can easily tether it, so that’s a good point. Worst case if it doesn’t work out I’ll move it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It will get mucky there and you will lose the filler cap,I would have bought a tethered cap! 👍😁
It really doesn’t come off easily, but I can easily tether it, so that’s a good point. Worst case if it doesn’t work out I’ll move it.
We have the small 'flat' filler with a push on 'flat' cap (eh-up lad! :giggle:) and the hinge bit of plastic soon broke, I've never bothered to tether it as it's never ever moved, never mind fallen off, and that's in 4 years of use and around 22k miles ...

gas filler 1 - r.jpg

gas filler 2 - r.jpg

OP
OP
DaveS
Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
We have the small 'flat' filler with a push on 'flat' cap (eh-up lad! :giggle:) and the hinge bit of plastic soon broke, I've never bothered to tether it as it's never ever moved, never mind fallen off, and that's in 4 years of use and around 22k miles ...

View attachment 891735

View attachment 891736
That’s really helpful thank you. Mine’s all fitted now, just to fill up!

OP
OP
DaveS
Jan 2, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Knaus Van Ti 640 MEG
Exp
Worth checking as far as I know it is best practice to fit the filler with the spigots vertical.
Yep I’ve made sure it’s fitted that way.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

View attachment 891735

View attachment 891736
Tight arse a new cover is only a couple of quid. 😊

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Tight arse a new cover is only a couple of quid. 😊
If only it was as easy as that!

I actually have a new one but the problem is in order to fit it I have to actually remove the filler itself, disconnect the pipe, remove the existing cover back-piece, slot the new one on then refit it all ... if the existing cover goes walkies I have to sort it but until them I'm not messing with it! :giggle: So :moon2: to you! :LOL:

1714570932835.png

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
If only it was as easy as that!

I actually have a new one but the problem is in order to fit it I have to actually remove the filler itself, disconnect the pipe, remove the existing cover back-piece, slot the new one on then refit it all ... if the existing cover goes walkies I have to sort it but until them I'm not messing with it! :giggle: So :moon2: to you! :LOL:

View attachment 892232
You are making hard work of it Minxy , I found it to be a quick & simple job ............

.... just called in to Autogas2000 and it was done in no time.:LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I did it without any drama, my mate cheated he cut a slit in the bottom and just losened the mounting screws to fit it.
I thought of doing that too but I'll wait and see if the original one goes walkies first, sod's law will dictate as soon as I fit the new one it's cover will snap off like the old one!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back