Planning a trip to the Italian Lakes (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We stayed here in Venice, not fancy but a few minutes walk to the water taxi that takes you into the back of Venice.
You see so much more coming in the back and walking through the little streets to loads of shops you probably wouldn’t see if you arrived at the front.

For Salzburg we stayed on this site, just park where you want and a short walk to the bus stop then 5 minutes into town.
Site has a shop and restaurant/bar and is owned by a lovely helpful lady.
Looks interesting, thanks.

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
Remember to check out the date of the horse race in Sienna to see if you can arrange to be squashed in like a sardine and see nothing !
Good description of the Palio! We were touring on a motorbike a few years ago and stumbled across it. Obviously hadn’t done our homework. Incredible atmosphere and fantastic fun in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. We could hear the horses, and the noise of the crowd, but even at 6’3” I could see very little. Utter madness! Highly recommended though.

IMG_0290.jpeg IMG_0289.jpeg IMG_0288.jpeg

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We went to Como, Garda and one of the smaller lakes last year, Stayed between Garda and Bardolino and managed to land in nice time for the wine festival, We spent a week at lakeOrto i think, waiting for a space on any suitable campsite, it was vey busy. We did need 2 pitches near each other though. Would go back in an instant, first time in the van but had been several times before. We chose to just take a day trip to Venice as we had all been before.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Lake Garda is lovely, I liked Lazise and there is campsite just at the northern entrance to the town (which looked ok from the road). Sirmione is also lovely but busy unless you can get there early evening when the tourists have gone. I can recommend the spa there right on the lake, well worth the 20euros or so for a couple of hours. Use the ferries on the lake to visit a few more towns, they are all very picturesque.
I also liked Verona, we went to the opera in the colosseum which was one of those once in a lifetime things.
Lake Maggiore has lots of nice towns if your coming in from the west and Also Lake Orta if you want somewhere less touristy but still very Italian.
The campsite at the northern entrance to Lazise is Campeggio Comunale CAMPING LAZISE Viale Roma, 1, 37017 - Lazise (VR), it`s a nice site, good facilties ( I think so anyway) and a short flat walk to the town, and a nice lakeside path up to Bardolino etc, the pitches are fine for the up to 7.5m vans, a bit tight for the bigger ones but there is an open area for the really big boys ( Concorde etc).
Been going there for 10 yrs, its one of our go to places for a break and a good pizza, it does get full over holidays.
Verona is a short car hire ride away and the Opera is well worth it in season, it can get very hot in the arena, have done Tosca and Aida, if you have a wheelchair user with you, tickets are very easy to get last minute at the box office....

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Soave is a great town for a visit. There’s a good aire just outside the old town walls. Plenty of opportunities to get your wine, we bought directly from a producer’s shop.
Sounds perfect, a few bottles to take home.

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We went to Como, Garda and one of the smaller lakes last year, Stayed between Garda and Bardolino and managed to land in nice time for the wine festival, We spent a week at lakeOrto i think, waiting for a space on any suitable campsite, it was vey busy. We did need 2 pitches near each other though. Would go back in an instant, first time in the van but had been several times before. We chose to just take a day trip to Venice as we had all been before.
What time of year did you go?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
What are the roads around the Lakes like to drive in a PVC?
Tarmac wise, no issues at all for Maggiore bottom bit of Garda and Como.

Please take my word for it that planning to drive round there on a hot Bank Holiday that doesnt relate to any of ours may slow you down significantly

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Another vote for Glossglockner, was 35 euro three years ago but well worth it. Keep a look out for the fake (fibreglass) snow.
if travelling through Lake Garda I would advise avoiding the Western side, loads of tunnels and very tight in places mirror damage common, especially if right hand drive. Eastern side okay though. Found many roads in Italy to be full of pot holes so you should feel right at home.

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Another vote for Glossglockner, was 35 euro three years ago but well worth it. Keep a look out for the fake (fibreglass) snow.
if travelling through Lake Garda I would advise avoiding the Western side, loads of tunnels and very tight in places mirror damage common, especially if right hand drive. Eastern side okay though. Found many roads in Italy to be full of pot holes so you should feel right at home.
Thanks, it sounds like the Grossglockner will be the route home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Make sure you check out the dates for Pentecost and the Bavaria school holidays. (End of May beginning of June I think) The German's head en-masse for the Italian lakes. How do we know? We got caught last year on our first trip to the area, having being used to France and turning up at camp sites, Aires etc as we felt like it! You can generally find out the busy times, as ASCI rates will not be applicable, if you subscribe to it. In my view, ACSI, is well worth it for Italy out of season.

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
I did notice some sites didn’t offer ACSI ratea last week of May and first week of June. Did you struggle to get places to stay. Did you book ahead, we never normally book feeling it curbs spontaneity?

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
On previous visits we try to go around the lakes clockwise, there are some overhanging cliffs to be aware of not as a problem but if you go anti clock wise and a lorry is coming the other way you have to be careful

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Are campsites in Italy as flexible as France, can you just rock up at this time of the year?

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Wanders from Glos we did end up having to book and changed when we stayed at the lakes. It was so bad we drove back to a site in the dolomites that had space and stayed there for a week. You will find some farm sites which vary in quality and the one we found was 30 Euro plus for the night. That's when we headed back to the mountains!

Feb 6, 2019
No fixed address, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
Don't leave out Como - very classy compared to some of the other areas (lotsamoney) - it has the funicular to the top of the mountain - occasionally above the clouds - Bellagio which is glorious tourist trap and there is Isla Comacina which is really lovely. Get a bit more ambitious and cross over to Switzerland - you are almost there in Como. They take €uro there and the fuel was cheaper the last time I went, Lugano at the top of the lake there has a glorious faded elegance.

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Wanders from Glos we did end up having to book and changed when we stayed at the lakes. It was so bad we drove back to a site in the dolomites that had space and stayed there for a week. You will find some farm sites which vary in quality and the one we found was 30 Euro plus for the night. That's when we headed back to the mountains!
Hmmm sounds like we need to think about that then.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Wanders from Glos just check when the German holidays are and hopefully you can work round it. As I mentioned the ACSI exclusion dates are a good guide as to when it is busy. I have had a quick squint at a couple of ACSI site round Garda and theel rates are excluded from 25 May have until the second week in June.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I have looked at a few more sites and the exclusion dates do vary so if you book you should be ok but it sort of takes the spontaneity out of it. If you like cycling I can recommend a lovely site near Cuneo!

OP
OP
Wanders from Glos
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Wanders from Glos just check when the German holidays are and hopefully you can work round it. As I mentioned the ACSI exclusion dates are a good guide as to when it is busy. I have had a quick squint at a couple of ACSI site round Garda and theel rates are excluded from 25 May have until the second week in June.
It looks like we may have to book, very much goes against the grain but seems pointless going all that way and then not having somewhere to stay. First stop will probably be Lake Maggiore via the Simplon pass, better choose a site!

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Cannero is a nice little town just north of the spot where you will arrive at Maggiore. There's a campsite with lake access and a nice bar restaurant on the beach. Also several nice restaurants and hotels with lakeside tables along the lake near the Ferry station. Stresa on the opposite shore is worth a visit by ferry especially if it's market day.
The campsite is https://www.campinglidocannero.com/

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
There is quite a big site at the top of Maggiore we stayed there last year whilst it is larger than we normally like it was really quite pleasant. Some good cycling routes as well! It is called camping village conca d'ora. Remember to take your anti mossi stuff!

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
It looks like we may have to book, very much goes against the grain but seems pointless going all that way and then not having somewhere to stay. First stop will probably be Lake Maggiore via the Simplon pass, better choose a site!
Agree, we’ve just booked Camping Parisi for the start of May. Looks like a small site on Lake Maggiore. Plus a 2 night stopover in Strasbourg.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back