Planning a Trip to Isle of Wight (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Just Ensure you dont try crossing during the festival periods as a ticket to New York would probably be cheaper! I used to got to take my camper to music festivals regularly in the past, but sadly realised the ferry costs were kicking the backside out of going to the IOW over that period! Think its the reason why Bestival up sticks and moved to Dorset!
Hi Trevor. Yes we are trying to avoid festival and school hols.
Happy Jack.

Jan 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all. Been quiet for a while busy.
Thinking of on Isle of Wight in May.
Possibly staying at Whitefield forest.co.uk.
They have good facilities and bus stop just outside the site,
we could use our bus passes to get about.
Campsite looks good and price is £195, 14 nights for 2 people and van.
They also get ferry at £100 ( Red Funnel ) or £140 for Wightlink.
Have to do a bit more research but coming from the North East we would have a couple nights at 2 or 3 sites on the way down (cs1166 overlooking the Solent looks good to be near the ferry) and same on the way back. Probably ccc cs sites.
Would appreciate your thoughts on the ferry options and also the site on the Island. Also, recommendations on where to visit while on the Island. We will be NT members and we love walking and beaches.
Keith.
Hi Bina.
If you are ccc members then when you log in and do map search, filter out the cs and cl sites to leave just ccc club sites.
Then select a site you fancy, have a look and you should come across 40% off code GRASSUK40. Not all sites have this discount. It is also only for minimum 3 nights and must book 14 days ahead.
Happy Jack.
Thanks Happy Jack. I’ll follow it up - £12 a night sounds amazing. Also - just looked at Whitefields site and it is showing £195 for seven nights but £390 for 14 nights. Did you find a discount for that as well?
Bina

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Iirc the emission zone in Portsmouth is for taxis and doesn't affect motorhomes.
However Wightlink are fairly mercenary since they were taken over by the venture capitalists I'd avoid them out of principal.
There's lots to do on the island, depends on what you are interested in.
We take the kids and wild camp, have found dinosaur bone fossils as well as other interesting things like turtle shell fossils too. Everywhere is pretty close since it's quite small, and you'll never drive the full length or breadth, unless going from niton (lighthouse and walks) to cowes or Culver (views) to the needles...
Hi Trevor. Thanks, it opens up possibilities for which ferry to take.
Already noticed red funnel is cheaper.
Happy Jack.

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
If you have Tesco vouchers you can use them 2 for 1 on Wightlink (used to be 3 to 1 but changed last winter). Don't know about Red Funnel as we always use Wightlink since it's closer. Think you have enough info on places to visit but enjoy it as it's a bit of a step back in time to a slower pace of life.
Hi Don.
Got no Tesco vouchers. Will enjoy slow pace.
Happy Jack.

Apr 28, 2019
Herne Bay Kent CT65HT
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972
I use " Waverley Holiday Park " East Cowes. (01983-293452) half mile from ferry , overlooking the Solent & cruise movement They have preferential 'Red Funnel ' bookings too.I'm there now,ferry out & ferry back 10 days on site £ 332 (including 'Insignature Lounge both ways ),hard standing,electric,water,drainoff,all facilities including wash room ,showers,bar& restaurant,swimming pool.Walking distance into town or Cowes Walking distance to the "RNLI Lifeboat manufacturing facility & VERY good eatery/ pub nearby " The Lifeboat " .Buses outside Waitrose to anywhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
We now live on IoW and run a Guesthouse on Shanklin seafront. We have trade accounts for all ferries and the price you are getting is better than we can offer to our guests. So go for it. We have also stayed at Whitefield and its great. I love it there. Nice site and well kept.

There are places to park the MH but I'd agree that its sometimes tricky - like anywhere really. Best option for some ventures out is to catch the bus. Island Coaster is good fun but check the route for your destinations. It's cheap and efficient. Mostly though you can find places if visiting out of the school holidays. Quite busy here otherwise.

Pasted here is our recommendations on attractions we give to guests - it's a personal view and biased a little toward Shanklin as our guests are here so take it as is but hope it will help....

THINGS TO DO

Alum Bay & The Needles, Totland Bay

This has got to be the most famous attraction for the island. It’s over the other side of the island – and should be visited on a sunny day. Leave early as you’ll probably have to queue up to 30 or 40 minutes to get in.

At the top there’s a few “touristy” bits – there’s lovely IOW Glass and they do 4 demonstrations a day so it’s really interesting to see that. You can also (if you really want !) make yourselves a sandy ornament in one of the shops (i.e. spoon coloured sand from the cliffs into a glass lighthouse or teddy bear ornament !!!)

Then you need to take the chairlift down to the beach and do the slow boat trip (takes about 25 minutes). There’s a guide & he points out local landmarks, etc. and we even saw dolphins last August !!! It costs £8 per person (2023).

There is also a fast boat trip which takes 15 minutes and costs £15 per person (2023) and which some guests have experienced saying it was exhilarating and gave them an even better view of The Needles.

Take layers as it will be breezy…

Osbourne House, East Cowes

Queen Victoria loved the island and (particularly if you’re a royalist) you will enjoy this visit back in time. There are also beautiful gardens to walk around and you can get down to the beach (and in season there’s a little shuttle bus to take you & bring you back if you’re tired !!!)

Shanklin Chine

Right on the doorstep – 5 minutes walk from Pink Beach !!! It’s got lots of exotic plants and even a waterfall ! There’s a café serving cakes, cream teas & ice-creams (no alcohol) and in season they have a chatty acoustic guitar guy on a Tuesday and Thursday evening – which is worth a listen. Also I’m not normally one for museums but DO go into the museum in the conservatory and learn about PLUTO (Pipeline Under The Ocean) !!!

It doesn’t close until 10pm and it’s all lit up and pretty by night.

Quarr Abbey, Ryde

I only found out about this a couple of years ago. I’m Catholic so I always like visiting churches – so there’s an abbey, beautiful gardens, a tea shop, farm shop & visitor centre, a lovely little shop selling holy things and they even have little piggies on site too. And it’s free – run by volunteers.

Godshill

You have to go to the picturesque village of Godshill and have a cream tea. It’s full of thatched cottages, there’s a big (free) carpark, a model village, the Old Smithy (café, shops & gardens) and the main street also has loads of little shops to wander around with local produce (pickles, ciders, etc.

Shanklin Old Village

Most of my restaurant & pub recommendations are for the picturesque old village – but take a trip in the daytime to visit Jingle Bells (the all year Christmas shop), other little gift shops, cream tea cafes, the Rock Shop, the Donut Hut (also with crepes & ice creams) and even a mini golf course ! And it’s really pretty by night too with twinkly lights.

Shanklin Theatre

The theatre is also in the old village and have they have some really good bands, etc.

Check out the website for details:- https://www.shanklintheatre.com/events.aspx?cookie=3

☔️ RAINY DAY SUGGESTIONS ☔

The Isle of Wight is lucky to be one of the sunniest places in England, enjoying a weekly average of 37 hours of sun, compared to the national average of 29.

However this is England (!) so should you encounter a rainy day during your stay, perhaps you may enjoy:-

Busy Bee Garden Centre (PO33 1QG)

Busy Bee is a huge award-winning garden centre with an array of items for both the home and garden: a gift & hobby craft shop, locally produced food area, garden living, pet care & aquatics and of course plants which are largely grown in their onsite nursery.

It also boasts the lovely Olive Tree Restaurant with a hearty menu to suit all tastes – including it’s own on-site pizza oven !

Oasis Home Store (PO36 0QA)

Large store with a huge selection reasonably priced unusual homeware & gifts – my own personal “go to” – drop in & take a look – you won’t be disappointed 🛍️

Cineworld, Newport (PO30 2TA)

As you would expect at home.

Commodore Cinema, Ryde (PO33 2HX)

Blast from the past - this not-so-modern cinema – is a bargain with all tickets priced at £4 !!! The last time I went, I spent more on sweeties than on the tickets (so pick your’s up from Morrison’s or Poundland before you go !!!)

Shopping In Newport

Your Tourist Parking Permit will not cover you for the Riverway car park but there are lots of other car parks in the area (e.g. Marks and Spencer, Medina Avenue Car Park - just across the road from M&S). Not exactly Oxford St (!) Newport does have a T K Max, Next, H&M, New Look, Matalan & The Works…. Then you could go & treat yourself to a nice sandwich & cake at Café Isola (with a good GF range) and take a look at the local crafts on the upper floor.

And some of the attractions listed below are more inside than out – but we hope this helps 😊

BEST OF THE REST…

If you like animals, there’s also lots of attractions like The Donkey Sanctuary, Monkey Haven, Amazon World Zoo Park, Wildheart Animal Santuary, Haven Falconry & Butterfly World.

Then there’s Isle of Wight Steam Railway, Carisbrooke Castle, The Isle of Wight Pearl (but you’ll end up buying a piece of pearl jewellery !!) & The Garlic Farm to name but a few.

This is by no means a full definitive list so please see below for a list of 83 attractions with postcodes (which my hubby found recently) in case the names of any of the rest spark your interest.

Warmest wishes

Helen & Dave

Pink Beach

* * * * *​

PO36 0ESADGESTONE VINEYARD
PO36 0LXAMAZON WORLD ZOO PARK
PO30 1JTAPOLLO THEATRE
PO33 1NSAPPLEY TOWER
PO38 3EWAPPULDURCOMBE HOUSE EH
PO30 3AAARRETON BARNS CRAFT VILLAGE
PO35 5NABEMBRIDGE WINDMILL ETC NT
PO38 2HNBLACKGANG CHINE
PO36 0ENBRADING ROMAN VILLA
PO36 0EBBRADING STATION HERITAGE CENTRE
PO33 4RYBRIDLESFORD LODGE FARM
PO33 4RWBUTTERFLY WORLD
PO30 4JNCALBOURNE WATERMILL
PO30 1XYCARISBROOKE CASTLE EH GW2for1
PO30 1YSCARISBROOKE PRIORY
PO41 0UECHESSELL POTTERY BARN
PO30 2TACINEWORLD CINEMA
PO33 2HXCOMMODORE CINEMA
PO31 8OUCONFLICT HISTORY & REMEMBRANCE
PO32 6EZCOWES CLASSIC BOAT
PO31 7SGCOWES MARITIME MUSEUM
PO33 2LQDONALD MCGILL POSTCARD MUSEUM
PO40 9QEDIMBOLA LODGE MUSEUM AND GALLERIES
PO36 8QADINOSAUR ISLE
PO32 6EPEAST COWES HERITAGE CENTRE
PO41 0RRFORT VICTORIA COUNTRY PARK
PO36 0NRGARLIC FARM
PO36 8HXGLORY ART GLASS
PO38 3HHGODSHILL MODEL VILLAGE
PO33 4DSHAVEN FALCONRY
PO33 4DSHAVENSTREET STATION RAILWAY MUSEUM
PO36 0LTHOUSE OF CHILLI
PO37 6RGRYLSTONE GARDENS CRAZY GOLF
PO33 2BFIOW BUS MUSEUM
PO33 1QSIOW KARTING
PO30 4DDISLE OF WIGHT PEARL
PO36 0DJLILLIPUT DOLL & TOY MUSEUM
PO30 4EBLONGSTONE
PO30 4EBLONGSTONE MONUMENT MOTTISTONE NT
PO30 2EWMEDIA THEATRE
PO30 2NBMONKEY HAVEN
PO30 4EAMOTTISTONE MANOR GARDENS NT GW2FOR1
PO39 0JHNEEDLES BATTERY NT
PO39 0JDNEEDLES LANDMARK ATTRACTION
PO30 4PANEWPORT OLD TOWN HALL NT
PO38 3HZOLD SMITHY
PO32 6JXOSBORNE HOUSE EH GW2for1
PO38 3AAIOW DONKEY SANCTUARY
PO30 2JXIOW POSTAL MUSEUM (appointment only)
PO30 3AAIOW SHIPWRECK MUSEUM
PO33 4ESQUARR ABBEY
PO30 5BDQUAY ARTS
PO32 6RFRED FUNNEL CAR FERRY (EAST COWES T2
SO14 2ALRED FUNNEL CAR FERRY (SOUTHAMPTON T1
SO14 2AQRED JET PASSENGER (SOUTHAMPTON)
PO31 7ARRED JET PASSENGER (WEST COWES TERMINAL)
PO35 5TDRNLI BEMBRIDGE LIFEBOAT
PO30 2NUROBIN HILL
PO33 4BEROSEMARY VINEYARD (INC SHARON ORCHARD)
PO36 8ATSANDOWN PIER
PO37 6DWSHANKLIN CHINE HERITAGE CENTRE
PO37 6AJSHANKLIN THEATRE
PO31 7AJSIR MAX AITKEN MUSEUM
PO38 2NFST CATHERINES LIGHTHOUSE
PO38 2JBST CATHERINES ORATORY EH
PO38 1AFSTEEPHILL COVE BEACH
PO41 0YJTAPNELL FARM
PO39 0HYTENNYSON MONUMENT NT
PO31 7QRTRINITY THEATRE
PO36 0JQNUNWELL HOUSE
PO38 1ULVENTNOR BOTANIC GARDENS GW2For1
PO38 1JRVENTNOR HAVEN FISHERY
PO38 1PEVENTNOR HERITAGE MUSEUM
PO41 0SZWEST WIGHT LLAMAS
PO32 6LNWHIPPINGHAM ST MILDREDS CHURCH
PO36 0JPWIGHT AVIATION MUSEUM
SO41 5SBWIGHTLINK CAR FERRY (LYMINGTON)
PO41 0PBWIGHTLINK CAR FERRY (YARMOUTH)
PO2 8SPWIGHTLINK CAR FERRY(PORTSMOUTH)
PO1 3PSWIGHTLINK FASTCAT (PORTSMOUTH)
PO33 2HFWIGHTLINK( FAST CAT RYDE PIER HEAD)
PO36 8QBWILD HEART ANIMAL SANCTUARY
PO41 0PBYARMOUTH CASTLE EH
HI Windy and thanks.
Will check out all your info.
Just a note on ferry cost. Omitted to mention cost I quoted was for car !!!!! Hadn't noticed that. I have to phone them for cost for campervan. Will do it at end of month when I get " paid".
already maxed out on spending this month.
will do our site booking at same time.
We will get about by bus prefarabky.
Do you know if we can use our bus passes and from what time each day?
Happy Jack.

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
I use " Waverley Holiday Park " East Cowes. (01983-293452) half mile from ferry , overlooking the Solent & cruise movement They have preferential 'Red Funnel ' bookings too.I'm there now,ferry out & ferry back 10 days on site £ 332 (including 'Insignature Lounge both ways ),hard standing,electric,water,drainoff,all facilities including wash room ,showers,bar& restaurant,swimming pool.Walking distance into town or Cowes Walking distance to the "RNLI Lifeboat manufacturing facility & VERY good eatery/ pub nearby " The Lifeboat " .Buses outside Waitrose to anywhere.
Hi Triky.
Did look at Waverley.
Only open field (no EHU )available now for June & July.
Cost £200 for 10 nights + ferry cost.
Would be OK as we have solar but had checked out on you tube someone did site tour.
Field looks very sloping apart from top end and bottom end.
don't eat to risk being on a bad slope. Our levelling chocks will only do so much.
Can you confirm the slope and is there cdp place.
Waverley is still possible. Did like the look of that area.
Happy Jack.

Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
The Campsite must be partnered with Red Funnel so they may also know this year's pricing for the Red Funnel camping deals if they do include that campsite again - may be worth checking as it could be cheaper again?
I can’t get that and I live on the Island!

Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
Great beaches at Sandown and Shanklin but, depending on the size of your van, parking may be an issue. Compton Bay is a lovely beach, including surfing, but no facilities, although toilets are currently being constructed.

Apr 28, 2019
Herne Bay Kent CT65HT
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972
Hi Triky.
Did look at Waverley.
Only open field (no EHU )available now for June & July.
Cost £200 for 10 nights + ferry cost.
Would be OK as we have solar but had checked out on you tube someone did site tour.
Field looks very sloping apart from top end and bottom end.
don't eat to risk being on a bad slope. Our levelling chocks will only do so much.
Can you confirm the slope and is there cdp place.
Waverley is still possible. Did like the look of that area.
Happy Jack.
Only the lower end is sloping ,rest of the pitches only require a small amount of levelling and are hard standing What is " CDP " ??

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
It's shocking that Islands residents are no longer catered for and given cheaper ferries, the discount they now give out is a joke. Most of the time i can get over there cheaper than they can to come over to the mainland.

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi Colin.
Just checked Heathfield farm website again.
Red funnel S/Hampton to Cowes is £109 and Wightlink is £119 Lymington to Yarmouth.
Both return price in early July when we are planning.
Would prefer Lymington as it ties in nicely coming from Salisbury ccc club site down the A36, M27; A337.
Appreciate could go from A36 shorter distance to Red Funnel S/Hampton but would be longer ferry journey then a short road distance further from Cowes to freshwater, but as it's only £10 more think we will go Lym/Yar.
BUT, that is for a car up to 5m.
Will have to ring them for campervan prices.
Happy Jack.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
This was our favourite site when we went.

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Only the lower end is sloping ,rest of the pitches only require a small amount of levelling and are hard standing What is " CDP " ??
Sorry triky, meant chemical disposal point for toilet cassette.
if you look at Waverley park on Google maps, you can see the open field down from the 24 ? hardstanding pitches. The field looks like grass on ly, and open field pitches are available.
can you check these pleas e.
happy jack.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Really enjoy Wight. Just booked for the third year running at Appuldurcombe. Used the Red Funnel inclusive offer, end august, 10 days £466 for 8m moho and fully serviced pitch.
Wouldn't consider driving anywhere once parked up, bus service is excellent. At this site, stop is on doorstep, buses every half hour. If you wanted to go large, they even run night buses, at weekends in the small hours! Bus pass accepted everywhere save on the "Breeze" tourist buses.
Great for walking also - several guides available.

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Really enjoy Wight. Just booked for the third year running at Appuldurcombe. Used the Red Funnel inclusive offer, end august, 10 days £466 for 8m moho and fully serviced pitch.
Wouldn't consider driving anywhere once parked up, bus service is excellent. At this site, stop is on doorstep, buses every half hour. If you wanted to go large, they even run night buses, at weekends in the small hours! Bus pass accepted everywhere save on the "Breeze" tourist buses.
Hi ericonabike.
Appledurcombe is/was on our list. Looks good and still in the running.
Price for our dates (approx 8th July, 10 nights) is £335 fully serviced. Ferry cost would be extra.
Will bell Appledurcombe and Heathfield to get total costs.
Heathfield do 2 OAPs for £160 for 7 nights. Will ask them if they can do 14 nights at same rate. £320 for 14 nights would be good value. That price is grass with EHU.
Happy Jack.

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Update Eric.
Just done dummy booking via Red Funnel, 10 nights from 8 th July at Appledurcombe at earlyish times for ferry.
Total is £481. That is grass pitch with EHU.
Happy Jack.

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi again Eric.
Forgot to mention, Heathield price for 10 nights is £310 when we are going + ferry cost which is not on their website for campervans. Car is £109. Will have to bell them for price.
Happy Jack.

Aug 30, 2018
South coast
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute 665
Exp
2 years
Check out the ferry fares, you may be able to use Tesco Clubcard vouchers to reduce the cost.
Visit the Needles battery, Carrick Castle, Tennyson’s monument. Buses are integrated with walks - pick up walk details in the bus stations.
Can’t advise site locally, we are too local!

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Check out the ferry fares, you may be able to use Tesco Clubcard vouchers to reduce the cost.
Visit the Needles battery, Carrick Castle, Tennyson’s monument. Buses are integrated with walks - pick up walk details in the bus stations.
Can’t advise site locally, we are too local!
Thanks Tony.
Not got Tesco vouchers.
We are NT and EH members so will have plenty to choose from.
Happy Jack.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Hi Wightman.
Yes we are ccc. Will have a look at ferry cost as you suggest but now thinking of Heathfield farm at freshwater. Similar price as Whitefield and they can get good ferry cost. Thinking of Lymington to Yarmouth or Southamton to Yarmouth.
Also, good bus service, we can use our bus passes. Will us van to get around if necessary.
Happy Jack.
There is no Southampton to Yarmouth ferry, the only crossing to Yarmouth is Wightlink from Lymington.
The Freshwater area is lovely, nice walks along the river Year back to Lymington on either side of the river.

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
There is no Southampton to Yarmouth ferry, the only crossing to Yarmouth is Wightlink from Lymington.
The Freshwater area is lovely, nice walks along the river Year back to Lymington on either side of the river.
Hi Molly. Got myself confused, I do know which ferries do which routes.
Happy Jack.

Apr 28, 2019
Herne Bay Kent CT65HT
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972
Sorry triky, meant chemical disposal point for toilet cassette.
if you look at Waverley park on Google maps, you can see the open field down from the 24 ? hardstanding pitches. The field looks like grass on ly, and open field pitches are available.
can you check these pleas e.
happy jack.
Yes the lower field is for tent campers .See my post of pitch 19 & 11 photo's of my Concorde on . Ferries run ,,,Whitelink from Portsmouth/Red Funnel from Southampton /Whitlink from Lymington.

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Yes the lower field is for tent campers .See my post of pitch 19 & 11 photo's of my Concorde on . Ferries run ,,,Whitelink from Portsmouth/Red Funnel from Southampton /Whitlink from Lymington.
Hi Triky. Thanks will have a look but all sorted now.
have booked Dairymans Daughter campsite just South of Newport. Excellent spot for getting around by bus and since we have our own facilities doesn't matter that it's basic. A steal at £7 a night. Have booked ferry through ccc £152 standard return. Could have got economy for £122 but since site was cheap enough then the extra is worth it for peace of mind.
Now booking sites to get there and back.
Happy Jack.

Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
Hi Triky. Thanks will have a look but all sorted now.
have booked Dairymans Daughter campsite just South of Newport. Excellent spot for getting around by bus and since we have our own facilities doesn't matter that it's basic. A steal at £7 a night. Have booked ferry through ccc £152 standard return. Could have got economy for £122 but since site was cheap enough then the extra is worth it for peace of mind.
Now booking sites to get there and back.
Happy Jack.
Hope you enjoy your holiday on The Diamond Isle. 👍😎

OP
OP
H
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hope you enjoy your holiday on The Diamond Isle. 👍😎
Hi Colin.
Missed your reply, been busy.
Now booked sites going and coming back.
Going:- Little Stryne cs Derby 1 night £10.
Wolverly ccc, Birmingham; 3 nights £12 a night.
Tanglewood cs, 1 night; £25.(10 miles to Lymington.).
Home:- Devizes ccc, 3 nights; £12 A night.
Little Stryne cs, 1 night.
Happy Jack.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back