Planned maintenance for Fiat windscreen wipers? (1 Viewer)

Jul 3, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato MWB, DIY :-)
Exp
10 years campervanning, 60+ camping
There's a few threads about failed wipers on Sevel vans. I get the feeling these are often due to seizing wiper spindles, that possibly burn out the motor too. A few electrical gremlins too.
So far (reaching for wood) my 2016 works ok. It is very noisy though; requiring louder talking while it on. Is this normal? -being Fiat commercial cheap Italian - add adjective- quality.
OR is it advanced warning that it needs some maintenance to stop it failing?

Is it worth doing maintenance, eg strip and re-grease joints, or is putting it back together without new bits a false economy?
Advice on what is possible without a full strip-down very welcome!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I dribble ( no laughing at the back) a drop or two of engine oil down the spindle when I can remember :whistle2:

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
The issue I had was that the wiper retaining nut slackened slightly causing the wipers to tangle. I removed the wipers them removed the splined collar. I then cleaned all the bits with a brass wire brush to get rid of any oxidation them reassembled with a dab of nut lock on the thread. No grease as there is a mixture of alloy and steel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
There's a few threads about failed wipers on Sevel vans. I get the feeling these are often due to seizing wiper spindles, that possibly burn out the motor too. A few electrical gremlins too.
So far (reaching for wood) my 2016 works ok. It is very noisy though; requiring louder talking while it on. Is this normal? -being Fiat commercial cheap Italian - add adjective- quality.
OR is it advanced warning that it needs some maintenance to stop it failing?

Is it worth doing maintenance, eg strip and re-grease joints, or is putting it back together without new bits a false economy?
Advice on what is possible without a full strip-down very welcome!
With ALL mechanical systems, it's better to be proactive instead of waiting until something breaks.
Do inspection & maintenance, at a time that suits you, when it is warm, bright and dry.
Don't wait until it is cold & peeing down and you really need the wipers. 🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back