Pilote: Build Quality & After-Sales Service ? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
Family discussions have happened, Spousal Unit agrees that the VW is drop-dead gorgeous but not perfect . . . and the hunt is on for a new van. So I have a question for anyone with lived-in experience of Pilote:

Currently at the top of our wish list is a 5.4m panel van conversion and I'm very taken with the layout of the Pilote V540G.

Looking for opinions/experience on Pilote build quality, dealer after-sales service, all the usual real-world important stuff. Many thanks in advance.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
North West based? Go to Signature off Longridge Rd at Preston, can't fault them for service or back up but like most dealers they are at the beck and call of the supply end. Ask for Richard for sales and speak with Alan for service and everything else. Traded in an A class Pilote earlier this year, could not get on with it due to health issues and needed an auto box so bought an Adria compact.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hedgewitch
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
North West based? Go to Signature off Longridge Rd at Preston, can't fault them for service or back up but like most dealers they are at the beck and call of the supply end. Ask for Richard for sales and speak with Alan for service and everything else. Traded in an A class Pilote earlier this year, could not get on with it due to health issues and needed an auto box so bought an Adria compact.

Oh bless you, HUGE thanks because Preston are our nearest Pilote dealer.

Are you pleased with your Adria?

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Yes a few minor niggles but sorted out asap. Have a look on their website they have some Adria pop tops at a huge reduction, Adria over produced!

Upvote 1
Nov 21, 2021
Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600G
Exp
Since 2020
Family discussions have happened, Spousal Unit agrees that the VW is drop-dead gorgeous but not perfect . . . and the hunt is on for a new van. So I have a question for anyone with lived-in experience of Pilote:

Currently at the top of our wish list is a 5.4m panel van conversion and I'm very taken with the layout of the Pilote V540G.

Looking for opinions/experience on Pilote build quality, dealer after-sales service, all the usual real-world important stuff. Many thanks in advance.
Hi
I have a V600G. The build quality is very good and well thought out. I previously had a 2021 Pilote A class, and I would say the van conversions are to a higher standard.
Few little niggles that i needed to sort out but nothing major. If you intend to spend more than a day or so off grid you will need to upgrade to lithium.
I would suggest you join ā€œ Pilote campervan ownersā€ group on face book. All the common niggles are discussed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2023
Blaenavon South Wales.
Funster No
MH
Pilote 540g
Exp
Since 2020

Hi, I purchased a 540G X edition in January. Upgraded from a Ford Custom camper. Very impressed with the Pilote. The conversion is well designed with good spec. Yes it's compact but has everything we needed in the 5.4 metres. It's our daily vehicle (apart from a couple of scoots) the compact size works for us. The 9 speed auto box is brilliant and even though I still have doubts about Fiats long term reliablility it has been faultless over the 5K we have covered (I would recommend the extended warrany package available via Fiat Professional). Also, the compact size provides a generous payload allowance.
I have only experienced a couple of minor faults with the conversion that I was able to sort out myself so unable to comment on dealer after sales (yet!).
Feel free to PM me if you need any specific info etc.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
French chap with a Pilote 600G listed the pros and cons on his youtube channel. The worst thing was the washroom not properly waterproof with water leaking onto the floor.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hedgewitch
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
arturo - oh, that's brilliant, thank you for all that. Are you able to say more on the 'long term reliability' issues you have doubts about?

Working on the often-quoted MHF line of "third time's the charm" ;) I have high hopes for this van, given my first was too big and my current one is too small. Have not yet seen it in person.

Hope to see it on Monday but currently not feeling confident - when I spoke to the Sales Manager (mentioned above by The Coops ) yesterday he was quite forceful in his opinion of a Hillside Birchover conversion on a VW Transporter. Whilst I completely understand that it is not the style of camper which suits his market/business plan I did not enjoy being told it was "overpriced rubbish".

Am assuming this is a softening-me-up-tactic so that when he offers a very low trade-in price I am not surprised. Which is sad but "it is what it is".

Cross your fingers for me.

Upvote 1
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Hope to see it on Monday but currently not feeling confident - when I spoke to the Sales Manager (mentioned above by The Coops ) yesterday he was quite forceful in his opinion of a Hillside Birchover conversion on a VW Transporter. Whilst I completely understand that it is not the style of camper which suits his market/business plan I did not enjoy being told it was "overpriced rubbish".

Am assuming this is a softening-me-up-tactic so that when he offers a very low trade-in price I am not surprised. Which is sad but "it is what it is".

Cross your fingers for me.
We recently called in there, basically to look at layout on Pacific range. Sales manager was pretty clear he didnā€™t really want trade ins other than on brands they stock, although he did acknowledge there were exceptions - they had a very few such vans in used stock.
As they didnā€™t have what we were looking for in used stock, we didnā€™t pursue the matter at all. He may encourage you to sell privately. Good luck!

On the quality issue, we did find what we wanted from another dealer, and so far are happy with the quality, despite changing from a Carthago. Early days yet, but so far so good.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hedgewitch
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
We recently called in there, basically to look at layout on Pacific range. Sales manager was pretty clear he didnā€™t really want trade ins other than on brands they stock,

Thanks, appreciate knowing it's not just me.
He said a few other disparaging things as well, which don't need to be repeated, but it did not leave me feeling that I had come away from the encounter in a good place.

Can I ask which dealer you went to instead?

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
This video put me off Pilote a bit given I had been really impressed by the layout of the van and their original review.
Maybe they got a Friday afternoon van.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We've had a Pilote p700g since new in 2019 and have to say we've had no problems. A couple of very minor snagging issues but sorted very quickly. So far everything still works well and performs exactly as we hoped for. There is a good Pilote Facebook group, may be worth joining for more opinions on your specific van.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
We have a Pilote coachbuilt, P696, chosen for the Layout, Davan in Weston-Super- Mud were brillant in letting us look and measure although we were ging to buy here in Germany.
Had it for 9 months, 13,000 km and it has been great, we do have a super dealer near Munich for anything we need.
The quality is good middle range and wearing well, quality (to me) catches on the doors and drawers, the 'veneer' on the surfaces is like printer paper so only Stick something on if it is permanent!
Most niggles I sort out and be done with it rather than go to the dealer.
The Fiat base is fine, 140 with the 9 speed, did 100,000km in the last one without hassle, and this one looks as good so far.
Happy with Pilote? Yes

I know it is not a van, but the interior quality will be frƶm the same materials, if I had to change to a van then depending on the Layout, I would be happy to stay with Pilote.....

Upvote 0
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Thanks, appreciate knowing it's not just me.
He said a few other disparaging things as well, which don't need to be repeated, but it did not leave me feeling that I had come away from the encounter in a good place.

Can I ask which dealer you went to instead?
We bought from Davan - a long way from home, but a good excuse for a visit to son & family in Bristol!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hedgewitch
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
Well, that's a shame. šŸ˜¢

Just had a call from the Sales Manager at Signature who, as expected, offered a derisory part-ex for my campervan.
He also apologised for calling it "overpriced rubbish" and said that it was an excellent conversion and a very nice van.

So I shall carry on looking for a 5.4m long PVC . . . which, if it is the most difficult thing I have to do over the next few weeks, is an incredibly privileged and fortunate position to be in.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Iā€™ve rejected 2 new deathless MoHoā€™s , now got a new pilote G741
The spec & quality seems good
The build isnā€™t great BUT fixable unlike the 2 deathless

Some faults

1 Center cupboard in bedroom not in the middle so headboard wouldnā€™t fit on one side
2 bedroom cupboard coming apart (again fixed badly )
3 Shower base leaked
4 floor collapsed ( it was jammed up with a bit of 2x2 and a wood wedge )
5 ladders to front bed in wrong place ( ladders hit seats )
6 could see daylight through floor ( like the flintstones)
7 battery charger faulty ( needed 3 new batteries )
8 garage door badly aligned
9 floor hatch badly warped , so damaging seal
10 front window was delaminated from new (had to be replaced )
11 had to replace 6 lights ( cutting costs ? )
12 most screws stripped, over tightened with battery screwdriver
13 hab door only catching on 1 catch
14 broken shower door
15 scratched hob lid
16 frost valve leaking
17 trims in bathroom falling off wall
18 alde header tank fell off
19 Broken plastic trim on back of seat
20 Broken clips on battery cover
21 squeaking front dash
22 rusty curtain pole
23 hab door screen falling off

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000

Some faults

1 Center cupboard in bedroom not in the middle so headboard wouldnā€™t fit on one side
3 Shower base leaked
14 broken shower door
15 scratched hob lid
16 frost valve leaking
21 squeaking front dash
22 rusty curtain pole
If thatā€™s the list on the one you kept I have to ask. Why?
Thatā€™s enough of a list to reject till fixed, the two you did reject must have had major issues if you kept one with that list

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.

Some faults

3 Shower base leaked
14 broken shower door
15 scratched hob lid
16 frost valve leaking
21 squeaking front dash
22 rusty curtain pole
šŸ˜±šŸ˜±šŸ˜±šŸ„¶šŸ„¶šŸ„¶

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
If thatā€™s the list on the one you kept I have to ask. Why?
Thatā€™s enough of a list to reject till fixed, the two you did reject must have had major issues if you kept one with that list
YEP
First one the roof delaminated within a month of owning it

Second one was leaking badly in garage , I could see daylight the 4 holes
& major gearbox (comformattic) problem's

I couldnā€™t fix them šŸ¤•

The pilote I could work with šŸ„¹

IMG_4416.jpeg
IMG_4414.jpeg
IMG_2053.jpeg
IMG_1174.jpeg
IMG_0967.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
So much for Dethleffā€™s solid reputation for build quality. Theyā€™re in our (very) short list

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
hi i went to signature when i wanted to buy a new g740 ,,i asked how much he would give me on a trade in ,,answer was we dont take trade ins ,, or they will offer so little i wont take it ,,? so had to travel elsewhere , ended up buying from Devon ,,5 hours away from me ,, will take it to signature for the hab check if they will do it ,,

Upvote 0
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
hi i went to signature when i wanted to buy a new g740 ,,i asked how much he would give me on a trade in ,,answer was we dont take trade ins ,, or they will offer so little i wont take it ,,? so had to travel elsewhere , ended up buying from Devon ,,5 hours away from me ,, will take it to signature for the hab check if they will do it ,

Isn't that hoping for alot as not purchased from them.

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
pilote,g740
Exp
since 2019
dont think so ,,as i would be paying for the service ,,not sure if i can take it to an approved work shop the have the damp check and hab check done to keep warranty intact

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back