Petite balade en France … Mr Grianan’s 60th birthday!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Tim turned 60 at the end of September and, being uninspired with the local eateries, we decided to try to find a nice restaurant in France to celebrate.

We’ve arrived! Left home at 6:45am yesterday, arrived at Canterbury for a kip then over on the 7:15am shuttle this morning.

We’re in storm-evasion mode! Heading to CCP at Bouloire first for a couple of nights then Ventusky will decide.

Photo
IMG_6364.jpeg
of first shop for amusement 😂. We’ve stretched our wine budget to €10 a bottle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grianan
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
First thing I do is buy the mayonnaise with Dijon when in France…😎
Here’s an interesting fact … years ago I worked as a buyer with Heinz. I was over in Holland and we were determining BBE dates for mayonnaise. The date for the UK was set shorter than that for other EU countries as the Brits don’t like the more intense mustard flavour which develops over time.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Here’s an interesting fact … years ago I worked as a buyer with Heinz. I was over in Holland and we were determining BBE dates for mayonnaise. The date for the UK was set shorter than that for other EU countries as the Brits don’t like the more intense mustard flavour which develops over time.

I’ve even made my own, I’ve put Dijon mustard in a jar of Hellman’s and mixed it I like it strong….😆🤣

OP
OP
Grianan
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
So a few photos of Bouloire and the CCP taken on our dog walk this evening …

We ascertained that, although the closest boulangerie is taking annual holidays, the further away one (which looks amazing) is open ‘exceptionellement’ tomorrow. Phew!

The 16thC castle looks ruined. The next door église-St Georges isn’t. The door was open but we didn’t enter as the car park was full and it was a Sunday evening.

There are also two hairdressers. This is not just a random fact 😂. We thought we had plenty of time over the last two weeks to prepare for this trip but counted without having to get my mum’s house on the market at short notice as HMRC were quicker to accept our IHT return than expected, and visits from both kids, one (the student) to borrow my car whilst we’re away and the other with her fiancé as his Nana passed away. So long and short is Tim is sporting a mop which requires brutal trimming. The

There is a poster up about the CCP at the entrance. The municipal site had closed in 2009 and the town council decided in 2017 to use some of the land to form a small 12 pitch CCP.

After 2 long days we had thought this might be a 2 night stop but, on reflection, we think we’ll move somewhere not too far away tomorrow. All suggestions welcome though the impending surges of rain may well play a part in our decisions.

IMG_6367.jpeg
IMG_6368.jpeg
IMG_6370.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Tim turned 60 at the end of September and, being uninspired with the local eateries, we decided to try to find a nice restaurant in France to celebrate.

We’ve arrived! Left home at 6:45am yesterday, arrived at Canterbury for a kip then over on the 7:15am shuttle this morning.

We’re in storm-evasion mode! Heading to CCP at Bouloire first for a couple of nights then Ventusky will decide.

PhotoView attachment 964425 of first shop for amusement 😂. We’ve stretched our wine budget to €10 a bottle.
Belated Birthday Greetings 🥂🎂🍾 and have a wonderful trip!

OP
OP
Grianan
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Tim says thanks for the birthday wishes … no restaurant meal (or haircut) yet but we had a lovely pain aux raisins breakfast this morning and baguette with salad and pate for a picnic lunch - on an idyllic aire in the A10 south of Orléons. Locals seemed to arrive at the wooded area with their picnic baskets and cool boxes and set up for 2 hours … amazing how peaceful it was so close to the autoroute.

We had toyed with staying a night at Vendôme but it was chilly so decided to defer that pleasure for another visit and head south.

Tonight sees us at a lovely free site at Charroux (ancienne cité no less) just north of Clemont-Ferrand. This is bucolic rural France, my version of the ‘real’ France. The view from the site is panoramic. On the other side of the cemetery you can see the mountains in the distance.

No motorhomes in the village do we will explore b foot tomorrow before heading further south.

It’s 6:40pm and we’re sitting out with a glass of wine 🍷. The sun has not quite set but I may get my cardi soon …
IMG_6377.jpeg
IMG_6375.jpeg
IMG_6373.jpeg
IMG_6371.jpeg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Tim says thanks for the birthday wishes … no restaurant meal (or haircut) yet but we had a lovely pain aux raisins breakfast this morning and baguette with salad and pate for a picnic lunch - on an idyllic aire in the A10 south of Orléons. Locals seemed to arrive at the wooded area with their picnic baskets and cool boxes and set up for 2 hours … amazing how peaceful it was so close to the autoroute.

We had toyed with staying a night at Vendôme but it was chilly so decided to defer that pleasure for another visit and head south.

Tonight sees us at a lovely free site at Charroux (ancienne cité no less) just north of Clemont-Ferrand. This is bucolic rural France, my version of the ‘real’ France. The view from the site is panoramic. On the other side of the cemetery you can see the mountains in the distance.

No motorhomes in the village do we will explore b foot tomorrow before heading further south.

It’s 6:40pm and we’re sitting out with a glass of wine 🍷. The sun has not quite set but I may get my cardi soon … View attachment 965062View attachment 965063View attachment 965064View attachment 965065
Great photos and pastries look yummy!

We are on the final stages of our home run and are parked at the aire at Port En Bessin in Normandy. Very quiet and we enjoyed fish and chips for lunch. Tomorrow, Barfleur and then Cherbourg for the ferry to Portsmouth.

Have a great time. Looking forward to your further posts.
84054b53-1b53-46b2-a9dd-03114ec20a8a.jpeg

IMG_6382.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Grianan
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
It rained during the night but was just a little damp and misty this morning, before the sun burnt it off, so we walked into the village armed only with a mini-umbrella.

With a population of only just over 340 it’s lovely to see the school is still alive and well. The Mairie had been refurbished and houses the PTT at the front and the school just behind.

The 12C church has a strangely truncated spire - no one knows if it was built that way, or if it was damaged in war or disaster!

Luckily the Boulangerie Locale was open and fournisged us with a baguette for lunch and 2 rather delicious croissants (devoured before I thought to take a photo - apologies).

Charroux is a ‘free town’ (like Freiburg) - to encourage growth the local ducs waived certain taxes for businesses. What a fabulous idea!

It was very quiet this morning. At this time of year most of the shops open after lunch at 14.30 hrs so we had the place almost to ourselves.

The Massif Central is due to see massive flooding tomorrow so we’re heading south again … in the hope of missing the worst of this week’s storms.
IMG_6382.jpeg
IMG_6383.jpeg
IMG_6386.jpeg
IMG_6388.jpeg
IMG_6389.jpeg
IMG_6393.jpeg
IMG_6395.jpeg
IMG_6397.jpeg
IMG_6399.jpeg
IMG_6390.jpeg
IMG_6387.jpeg

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years

PhotoView attachment 964425 of first shop for amusement 😂. We’ve stretched our wine budget to €10 a bottle.
Happy birthday Tim! My 60th in Bordeaux was cancelled due to Covid. Not that I’m still bitter at all.

OP
OP
Grianan
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Get to somewhere sheltered….💨☔
We’re in our favourite spot at Gruissan. It is windy (and spitting) but where the van is it’s relatively sheltered with the hedges and other vans. Just taken Nala the dog out for a walk along the sea path on the the other side of the hedge. It’s still really warm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back