Pedal Position on Automatic Adria 600 (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 16, 2024
Funster No
MH
Adria 600
Has anyone had problems with the posistioning of the accelerator and brake pedals on an automatic Adria 600. I find that my large feet catch both at the same time. Thinking about trying to put extension plates on them to give greater effective diestnace between them. Any ideas welcomed.

Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Has anyone had problems with the posistioning of the accelerator and brake pedals on an automatic Adria 600. I find that my large feet catch both at the same time. Thinking about trying to put extension plates on them to give greater effective diestnace between them. Any ideas welcomed.
I have exactly the same problem. I found it doesn't slow down as expected if you are also pressing the accelerator!

Looking at the pedals I noticed that the lower part of the accelerator angles in towards the brake pedal and this was the part I was catching occasionally as the lower part of accelerator seemed closer to the brake pedal than the upper part.

What I did was to saw off the lower left corner of the accelerator pedal at such an angle so as to form a more constant gap between brake and accelerator. I now find it much better and very rarely catch it while braking.

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
I told myself that this is a new skill I must learn.

When we learnt to drive (all those decades ago - half a life time or more), we had to concentrate on what we were doing.

After a while, it became ssecond nature.

So back to this new skill - concentrate hard all the time on what is going on and after a while, the new pedals magically become in the correct positions.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
I told myself that this is a new skill I must learn.

When we learnt to drive (all those decades ago - half a life time or more), we had to concentrate on what we were doing.

After a while, it became ssecond nature.

So back to this new skill - concentrate hard all the time on what is going on and after a while, the new pedals magically become in the correct positions.
When I was working for several decades designing stuff I would make sure it was fit for purpose and absolutely as good as I could make it. I would have been ashamed to have designed that accelerator pedal.

So, you can magic all you like, but it does not change the fact that the pedals are badly positioned and do not give a uniform clearance between brake and accelerator. In an emergency that could make all the difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's because it's RHD, LHD Fiats are fine. I have the same problem have driven LHD Motorhomes for 10 years & now in a RHD. Nowhere near as nice to drive as LHD, peddles offset to the left which I find uncomfortable & closer together. I'm only size 8Ā½ and I keep catching both peddles, at least the 9 speed auto is not like the Comformatic where if you hit both peddles the engine cut out.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
This is what I have done with mine:

20240917_140425.jpg

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
It's because it's RHD, LHD Fiats are fine. I have the same problem have driven LHD Motorhomes for 10 years & now in a RHD. Nowhere near as nice to drivea as LHD, peddles offset to the left which I find uncomfortable & closer together. I'm only size 8Ā½ and I keep catching both peddles, at least the 9 speed auto is not like the Comformatic where if you hit both peddles the engine cut out.
Same with the latest Transporter, the RHD pedals are an afterthought.

The T6.1 removed the footrest, I found it really uncomfortable driving a courtesy van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Possibly this is only an issue for anyone who, as the quickest way to flip from accelerator to brakes, leaves their heel fairly static and just swivels their foot across from one to the other. This would make it more likely for the outside of the foot to catch the accelerator.

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
Possibly this is only an issue for anyone who, as the quickest way to flip from accelerator to brakes, leaves their heel fairly static and just swivels their foot across from one to the other. This would make it more likely for the outside of the foot to catch the accelerator.
Yes, I don't do that :)
I'm using cruise control most of the time so the right foot ain't doing much.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Yes, I don't do that :)
I'm using cruise control most of the time so the right foot ain't doing much.
The opposite here - hardly ever use cruise, just occasionally on French autoroutes, but on the back roads through the mountains I'm needing to flip from accelerator to brakes every few seconds!

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
I don't have an Adria but from comments deduce you're talking about a Ducato base vehicle, if so it's the same as my pvc., a RHD 2007 Comfortmatic.

I've never had cause to notice the closeness of brake & accelerator except when I want it for heel & toe-ing, or starting the engine with a bit of extra juice to ensure revs.

Maybe the Fiat designer had me & my driving style in mind more than you & yours...

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
I don't have an Adria but from comments deduce you're talking about a Ducato base vehicle, if so it's the same as my pvc., a RHD 2007 Comfortmatic.

I've never had cause to notice the closeness of brake & accelerator except when I want it for heel & toe-ing, or starting the engine with a bit of extra juice to ensure revs.

Maybe the Fiat designer had me & my driving style in mind more than you & yours...
Well we are talking about automatics here with a two pedal layout where they could have spaced the pedals better. Not sure about the OP, but mine is a 23 model with 9 speed auto, which is a completely different animal to the Comfortmatic. Even so I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would need to heel and toe with any sort of automatic? Mine autoblips on downshifts so no need for me to get involved!

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Well we are talking about automatics here with a two pedal layout where they could have spaced the pedals better. Not sure about the OP, but mine is a 23 model with 9 speed auto, which is a completely different animal to the Comfortmatic. Even so I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would need to heel and toe with any sort of automatic? Mine autoblips on downshifts so no need for me to get involved!
I'd be interested to know whether there are any vehicles with an auto or manual gearbox option where the manufacturer does anything different with the pedals on auto versions other than make the bit you press on the brake wide enough to suit left-foot brakers.

I use one-foot on brake and accelerator when starting the engine on the rare occasions when it wants more juice. I'm getting it ohecked at next service as I don't think that should be needed.

After that I don't use it between changes as in the olden days but for hill starts, when I find easing off the foot brake easier than reaching down to release the handbrake. (Which I am determined never refer to by its American name.)
Other driving styles are valid.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
I use my left foot for the brake and right foot for throttle. Have done for years and find it so much easier as long as you get used to lifting foot off throttle when braking....
I have considered that, but feel using one foot means it is definitely either go or stop and is compatible with muscle memory developed over years in non- auto vehicles.

I feel that using two feet gives more scope for muscle memory confusion or brain fade, leading to pressing accelerator instead of brake, with unfortunate consequences.

Upvote 0

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
I use my left foot for the brake and right foot for throttle. Have done for years and find it so much easier as long as you get used to lifting foot off throttle when braking....
Me too, I drive our 8 speed VW Touareg the same way, and I drive as much as I can using cruise control. Iā€™m especially careful not to brake and accelerate at the same time lol, as the ecu on both vehicles doesnā€™t like it šŸ‘

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'd be interested to know whether there are any vehicles with an auto or manual gearbox option where the manufacturer does anything different with the pedals on auto versions other than make the bit you press on the brake wide enough to suit left-foot brakers.
Peddles on the Ducato are the same Auto & Manual just one missing on the manual.
Very difficult on a Ducato brake peddle is the same as on a manual too far to the right for that.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Is this an auto specific problem? I wonder if the pedals are in the same position as the manual. Which is why they are crammed up.
Same position on both my BIL complains about them on his work van.
Not so much of a problem if you are used to RHD, you really notice it coming from LHD.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back