Payload example , Chausson Welcome 85 (2 Viewers)

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Does anyone know whether it is likely that SVtech (or other) would consider a request to uprate the rear axle from 2000 to 2100kg without increasing the gross from 3850? My tyres are rated at 1060kg. A hundred extra on the rear axle would assure not exceeding the axle limitation.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Don't see why not. But you'd probably need to install semi-air bags on the rear axle (assuming you have leaf spring rear suspension).

I think with this arrangement you can go up to 2240kg on the rear but you'd obviously need to have a higher tyre load index.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Don't see why not. But you'd probably need to install semi-air bags on the rear axle (assuming you have leaf spring rear suspension).

I think with this arrangement you can go up to 2240kg on the rear but you'd obviously need to have a higher tyre load index.
Thats correct for SV Tech, with an 1850F & 2000R , with 225MM tyres at the higher load rating, plus air assist suspension upgrade, they will uprate to 3850 overall, and take rear axle weight up to 2250KG's, many have done that exercise on here.
Can be expensive if you dont fit the assist yourself.
Pointless exercise if you dont weigh each individual axle weight, the rear is always going to take more weight, especially in a coach built with rear over hang behind rear axle.
This is why SV tech will want a copy of a weighbridge certificate and the vans load status before making any recommendations.
Les

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Thats correct for SV Tech, with an 1850F & 2000R , with 225MM tyres at the higher load rating, plus air assist suspension upgrade, they will uprate to 3850 overall, and take rear axle weight up to 2250KG's, many have done that exercise on here.
Can be expensive if you dont fit the assist yourself.
Pointless exercise if you dont weigh each individual axle weight, the rear is always going to take more weight, especially in a coach built with rear over hang behind rear axle.
This is why SV tech will want a copy of a weighbridge certificate and the vans load status before making any recommendations.
Les

I think what @G-RMPS meant, can he uprate the rear axle but still retain the 3500kg MAM. I replied ....I don't see why not providing he carries out certain modifications, as you describe.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I think what @G-RMPS meant, can he uprate the rear axle but still retain the 3500kg MAM. I replied ....I don't see why not providing he carries out certain modifications, as you describe.
Yes I agree,sorry I wasn't replying to @G-Ramps question as such, just quoting what the usual response from SV tech was regarding rear axle upgrade to 2250KG's, which as you know is usualy done when up rating the whole van from 3500 to 3850.
But I agree it is an interesting question, maybe only SV Tech will know the official answer, they are very helpful when you call them.
I am very interested to know now also, as it would be a great help to those who didn't have a C1 but wished to have a bit more leeway over the back axle.
I know that ours was upgraded from 3500 to 3650 from the manufacturer without any mods as it had the correct tyres & wheels, but the axle loading's remained the same at 1850F & 2000R.
If possible This could be a first!(y):D
Les

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
Does anyone have a rough guide price for assist and tyres fitted by RV

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
And don't forget to empty the grey as soon as you can no point carting 50kg+ of that around all the time

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thats 93 Kg just in water! ----- and people wonder why I always run with an almost empty water tank.
We are going to France next week for a month and we won't be taking any water with us in the tank.
As you don't do sites you had better make sure they have turned the water on for you.:D
Got back last weekend from our Spanish trip, of 9 Aires in France only 2 had the water on, hopefully by Easter they will all be on.
I always travel with 160 Lt in my tank.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
As you don't do sites you had better make sure they have turned the water on for you.:D

There is a water point at City Europe as you know, 5 minutes from the chunnel if I feel the need for any.
There is still some left in the bottom of the tank, we are leaving on Sunday so probably won't put any in until around next Wednesday.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We are going to France next week for a month and we won't be taking any water with us in the tank.
Where does it come from then ?

There is still some left in the bottom of the tank, we are leaving on Sunday so probably won't put any in until around next Wednesday.

So no daily shower then ? I don't use sites or aires & run full of water & fill at any opportunity as I can't be doing without a hot shower first thing.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Where does it come from then ?

So no daily shower then ? I don't use sites or aires & run full of water & fill at any opportunity as I can't be doing without a hot shower first thing.
... yes that's what your MHing neighbours say ... Pongo! :D2

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Just proves what I have always said. For 2 people you need a payload of 700 kg and for more people = more payload.
Hence I bought a van with over 1350 kg of payload and fully loaded with full tanks I still have 400-500kg spare. It's nice feeling smug.:)

That is the main reason I sold my Rapido and bought a carthago my carthago weighs 3780kg with 2 people in it, 75% full fuel, 75% full fresh water, 20% grey water and one suitcase of clothes and gvw is 4500kg so still got 720kg to play with I'm well happy

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Sorry but I have to disagree, unless you know the actual weight on each axle it is impossible to know if you are within the limits for each axle even if you are under 3500kg. The ONLY way to be sure is to get each axle weighed ... I don't wish to keep saying it but that's the truth of the matter ... having an unbalanced 'load' can affect steering, handling, and most importantly braking efficiency.
As discovered by many 7.5 tonne truck drivers,,very difficult to load legally without weighing individual axles..Can be under gross weight and still be overloaded on the rear axle.BUSBY,,

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
I have just breezed through this thread and I wondered if something has changed in van construction. We have friends with a shiny new Rapido and over a glass or three they told us that they have very little spare payload in their van when touring. We have a 2007 Auto sleeper Nuevo (3,300Kg) and when we leave for a UK or Spanish tour we pass our local weighbridge and get it checked. This is with a full diesel and water tank and all the clothing etc we need for a 2 month trip and, of course, SWMBO. We usually find that we have roughly a spare 100Kg. Has something changed in van construction or are we just travelling light ? The free payload comes in really handy for bulk wine on the return journey.......:cheers:

The Tincas

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Rapidos have always been heavy due to the materials they use as they tend to be a bit thicker/denser etc. Similar layout MHs from different manufacturers on the same base vehicle can vary quite a lot depending on how they are constructed and with what.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just for fun I weighed my Rapido before our trip to Spain, 1840F 2020R both axles together 3940 so 80kg came from somewhere.
Bill
We have a free weighbridge we can use at our local docks, the type you drive slowly over and it weighs each axle individually then adds them up, we always do it at least 3 times and use the 2 matching figures as they can vary depending on how carefully you do it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I have just breezed through this thread and I wondered if something has changed in van construction. We have friends with a shiny new Rapido and over a glass or three they told us that they have very little spare payload in their van when touring. We have a 2007 Auto sleeper Nuevo (3,300Kg) and when we leave for a UK or Spanish tour we pass our local weighbridge and get it checked. This is with a full diesel and water tank and all the clothing etc we need for a 2 month trip and, of course, SWMBO. We usually find that we have roughly a spare 100Kg. Has something changed in van construction or are we just travelling light ? The free payload comes in really handy for bulk wine on the return journey.......:cheers:

The Tincas
You must travel very light, as I've always said for two you need about 700kg of payload, I doubt if you have anything like that. 500kg for stuff & the misses, bikes etc., & 200 kg for acessories (awning, TV, sat dish, extra batteries etc.).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We have a free weighbridge we can use at our local docks, the type you drive slowly over and it weighs each axle individually then adds them up, we always do it at least 3 times and use the 2 matching figures as they can vary depending on how carefully you do it.
Same here, results depend on speed, how central & straight you are. Don't bother these days as we have bags of spare payload.

To be safe you really need 300 kg spare as the tolerance on a dynamic weighbridge is +/-150 kg per axle.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Thank you for all your contributions.
It's a shame the weighbridge I used was not able to do axle loads , but looking at the layout of most vans (including mine) with their long rear overhangs etc. it's pretty obvious it's very easy to be overweight on the rear axle.
My water tank seems to me relatively large for a 3.5t vehicle and lies just about in the centre of the wheelbase , perhaps a little closer to the front axle.

So as I said that's my best bet for trying to keep the mass and axle loads somewhere near their maximums.

I realised that the tank level is given by a 'rod' type of gauge , so you could fill it to the 2/3 mark and then use a relatively small amount of water to bring the '2/3 rod' end out of the water.
The panel would then show 1/3 , but the effective water mass would still be around 2/3 of 140 , 92 litres or so.

I wonder how much water is in the tank when the reserve lamp is lit ?. Must see if the manual mentions this.

Otherwise i'm going to have to travel with a 1/3 and fill up to the level I think i'm going to use before hitting the road again. Just as a semi conscious method , without getting obsessed with it. ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back