Payload confusion (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Can anyone help with my confusion please.
This is the plated information on our motorhome inside the engine bay.
What do these 4 figures actually mean, and can I work out my payload from them as a rule of thumb.
Thanks.
2019-12-27 14.39.36.jpg

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
If selling, emphasis it's registered ' Motor Caravan' (very rare these days) upgrade to 3.5 ton, ( paper exercise) do use weighbridge, just print picture of plate after upgrade, and post price wanted.
Be honest, but not too honest! 😄

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If selling, emphasis it's registered ' Motor Caravan' (very rare these days) upgrade to 3.5 ton, ( paper exercise) do use weighbridge, just print picture of plate after upgrade, and post price wanted.
Be honest, but not too honest! 😄
He can only go to a max of 3440kg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer b class mct
Thanks so far to the replies.
I have tried, and tried and tried to find a converters plate and have had no success whatsoever having turned the van almost inside out.
Not sure if in 2001 such things were so rigidly applied by Ci which is when our van was built.
I am looking to put the van up for sale and want to give as accurately a description and relevant weight levels etc as possible.
So.........basically then, get total van weighed EMPTY, then subtract that figure from MAM weight( gross weight) of 3200kg to give the payload available, with a MAXIMUM load on the FRONT axle of 1690kg, And REAR axle of 1750kg?.
I seem to recall that when I first joined the forum I THOUGHT I had this sussed around 2018 ish, but now I am not at all convinced, so will start again.
Thankfully though, on our trips of the last 6 years we have travelled extremely light without much water to start but almost full fuel and limited food and chattels, and people, so am fairly convinced we were within any limits.
But we shall see.
You can’t use that gross weight 3200kg, as mention above, you should should go by the weight shown in your V5 document.

Upvote 0
Sep 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer b class mct
You can’t use that gross weight 3200kg, as mention above, you should should go by the weight shown in your V5 document.
And you already determined it is way to get it replated at 3440kg so I’d do that then you can calculate you payload accurately by stripping everything out and weighing it as you already described.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
That's what I thought, hence my confusion.
Shall continue to empty the van and weigh it empty and then do some maths.
Thanks for all the encouraging advice folks.
Things seem a little clearer.
Better to load as you normally run it then weigh it. That way you will know if you are OK or need to shed some weight.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
And you already determined it is way to get it replated at 3440kg so I’d do that then you can calculate you payload accurately by stripping everything out and weighing it as you already described.
I don't wish to uplate the vehicle at all, but thanks for the reply.
I am due to sell the van and just want to advertise it as accurately as I can.
Goodness knows there has been a lot written lately on people buying vans then finding they have almost no loading capacity for whatever.
Our van will probably suit a first timer motorhomer maybe with a small young family as it has 4 full forward facing belts and 2 rear facing lap belts, but I want to be as clear as I can with how much load they could carry.
Seems a fair few get this wrong or are given bad information by dealers or whoever, and then it's too late.
Just trying to be accurate with what we are about to sell.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Can anyone help with my confusion please.
This is the plated information on our motorhome inside the engine bay.
What do these 4 figures actually mean, and can I work out my payload from them as a rule of thumb.
Thanks.
View attachment 885898
I think 3200 is the unladen ( empty ) weight, 4800 is the Maximum permissible weight ( fully loaded) (1) 1690 is the front axle maximum weight (2) 1750 is the rear axle maximum weight.I think that's correct

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I think 3200 is the unladen ( empty ) weight, 4800 is the Maximum permissible weight ( fully loaded) (1) 1690 is the front axle maximum weight (2) 1750 is the rear axle maximum weight.I think that's correct
We all wish - it would then provide decent payloads😂😂. Alas 3200kg is the maximum laden weight and 4800kg is the max when towing a trailer

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Totally wrong the 4800kg is the Max Train Weight which is the total weight of the Motorhome plus a trailer.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I don't wish to uplate the vehicle at all, but thanks for the reply.
I am due to sell the van and just want to advertise it as accurately as I can.
Goodness knows there has been a lot written lately on people buying vans then finding they have almost no loading capacity for whatever.
Our van will probably suit a first timer motorhomer maybe with a small young family as it has 4 full forward facing belts and 2 rear facing lap belts, but I want to be as clear as I can with how much load they could carry.
Seems a fair few get this wrong or are given bad information by dealers or whoever, and then it's too late.
Just trying to be accurate with what we are about to sell.

I totally agree with your desire to give the accurate available payload to a buyer. That is commendable.

If you do go to a weighbridge empty and take that weight from the 3200kg you may be surprised at how little payload there is.

In that case marketing it to a family of six, as the seating suggests, might be impossible, so maybe you should think about an upgrade in max weight.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
I totally agree with your desire to give the accurate available payload to a buyer. That is commendable.

If you do go to a weighbridge empty and take that weight from the 3200kg you may be surprised at how little payload there is.

In that case marketing it to a family of six, as the seating suggests, might be impossible, so maybe you should think about an upgrade in max weight.
True, but then that enters into the realms of C1 licence requirements IF I should go above 3500kg as an uplate.
As to the 6 seat belts , that is EXACTLY why I am trying to be as clear as I can re payload so any potential purchaser can be well informed as to what COULD or COULD NOT be available.
We shall see when weighed in empty mode, but currently having a few family health issues so not sure when this will be done.
But it will be done!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
How can the MAM possibly be 4800 if the combined axle weights cannot exceed approx 3500?
Exactly.
Seems I might not be the only one who has a level of confusion on how payloads are calculated, which is not a dig at anyone, but a rather worrying scenario as to what we all understand, or interpret, as 'payload'.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Exactly.
Seems I might not be the only one who has a level of confusion on how payloads are calculated, which is not a dig at anyone, but a rather worrying scenario as to what we all understand, or interpret, as 'payload'.
Remember also, different companies use different criteria when it comes to working out their supposed payload.
When calculating drivers allowance weight, it's generally accepted as being 75kgs despite what a real driver will weigh.
Some companies have fuel at a third of a tank while others have only a few litres. etc. etc. etc.

This is the reason I wrote earlier, be honest, but not too honest!
Sadly, in the land of buying & selling, the rule has always been 'Buyer Beware'

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
We all wish - it would then provide decent payloads😂😂. Alas 3200kg is the maximum laden weight and 4800kg is the max when towing a trailer
It's easy to see how people get confused. When you put license categories into the mix it's even more confusing. A lot of people would take that vehicle as a 3.5 max without even checking the plate

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2020
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 75fl
Exp
Since 2007
My Hobby has 4 plates the Fiat manufacturers plate for the Chassis cab, the Alko plate, the converter Hobby plate and finally a chartered motor engineers uplate.
And the V5 was a shambles
It had 2axel when it was 3 (tag axel)
No engine number, weight wrong. All rectified when I up-plated it.
There are loads of tags registered incorrectly as 2axels, out of 10 random advertisements 8 were still reg as 2 axel’s.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back