Paying for MotorHome (21 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
I have to pay a large amount for our new MH which we will pick up on the 4th Oct. The dealership is around 20 mins from where we live. I paid them £1 yesterday to confirm that all the details I had were correct.

I made a transfer for just over half of it this morning and the bank fraud team called me. After a 40 minute conversation they said that I would be better off paying on the day with my debit card. I was surprised but they confirmed I can do that. If I use my debit card then I have more protection regarding the van whereas the bank transfer offers me no protection.

I called the dealer who said they would have to pay a large amount in card transaction fees. I can see the banks position and also the dealers.

What do others do in this situation?

My wife has suggested I take my laptop to the dealers and after the handover make the transfer although it could take a while as the fraud team will have to get involved again

thank you

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
As far as the dealer is concerned - sorry, it's a cost of doing business.
Don't know about debit card protection but a credit card is up to £30k

Why do you need "protection" if the bank transfer is after [same time] as you get the keys?

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I thought you could part pay with a credit card and still be covered for the full amount (up to a certain level)

Can they actually refuse credit card payments?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Jul 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Rob Turner The bank said I can't tell them up front as the 'system is the system' and will flag the transaction regardless of what they do.

The amount is significant and I do understand Langtoftlad as its part of doing business. At the same time they are a family business and I like to be mindful of that and all of the future service we need.

MisterB we don't have credit cards.

I guess its a laptop on the day, after a successful handover, and make the transfer via online bank and wait it out with the fraud team.

thank you

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
MisterB we don't have credit cards.

Perhaps it's worth getting one, if only for this one time purchase ....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Jul 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Looking at this:

Debit card payments and purchases aren't covered by section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. But if you don't get something you have paid for by debit card, and the firm is refusing to refund you, you can ask your bank to 'reverse the transaction' and get your money back via chargeback.

Which means the only cover I have is if I do not receive the goods. If I'm sat at the dealers then that's not an issue. They also said if I send it to the wrong account and lose it then I'm not covered. I have done the £1 and so I know its correct.

thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I’d go for bank transfer once you have all necessary documents that demonstrate that the seller has title to the goods, free of any charges including chattel asset mortgages etc and the keys.
If you pay by credit card, for all or part of the transaction, then bear in mind there are limits i.e. more than £100 and less than £30,000.

If you use a debit card, you don’t have the same rights as you do under s75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, BUT banks, which subscribe to the scheme, offer a chargeback option whereby they can call back funds paid to suppliers who are in breach. This is less powerful than if you use a credit card s75 claim because the bank will not want to get into a dispute with the supplier who may deny they are in breach. Also, not all banks are covered by the scheme and charge back is not part of the legislation.

Here’s a link with further info. Good luck and be careful at every stage.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Jul 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Ingwe thanks. I reckon that doing the full handover and then paying via transfer would be the way to go. Everybody should be happy in that situation and tbh I have all day on the handover so waiting around to get it sorted should be no issue.

I was uncomfortable paying up-front even though the dealership is great etc.

thanks again

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Jul 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Been in-touch with the dealer. Explained that after a handover I will make the transfer. They are happy with that. At that point I see no benefit with a debit card other than making a transfer has to go to the correct account. I have covered that and if I'm in the dealers they can take a look before I hit send.

Thank you all

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I have used our debt card for 6 figure payments. Called to arrange a few days before, the last one I made went straight through, we were very surprised when “approved” appeared on the terminal. As far as I’m aware a debit card payment is a flat fee regardless of transaction value, unlike Visa credit card who take a percentage.
No matter what method you choose do not make payment until AFTER the handover and you are happy with everything. It is a strange phenomenon of Motorhome dealerships that things are so much easier to get fixed and appointments booked before they have your cash. Everything becomes so much harder after the transaction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Jul 28, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
No matter what method you choose do not make payment until AFTER the handover and you are happy with everything. It is a strange phenomenon of Motorhome dealerships that things is so much easier to get fixed and appointments booked before they have your cash. Everything becomes so much harder after the transaction.

stewartwebr You are 100% correct. Thanks

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back