Parking your motorhome at supermarkets when shopping - fines,? (1 Viewer)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
ABROAD
Absolutely no problem anywhere overnighting - and getting fresh bread as soon as they open is wonderful
One of the big chains has height barriers, can't even access the fuel station in a just under 3M van.
favourite all time was one where no height barrier on the way in, but did have not a barrier but a low building over the exit, no signage. Had to have the traffic stopped and go out the entrance, was a right pain.
So many money grabbing car parking places.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
One of the big chains has height barriers, can't even access the fuel station in a just under 3M van
Intermarche has height barrier.. came across it in Chateudun, . it was 3mt .. but you could access the fuel pumps

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 11.42.46.png

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Surely if you park in two bays parallel to the lines and within the lines and pay for two tickets you aren’t breaking the rules.
Unless the council do not allow purchase of 2 tickets in their rules? Bear Street car park in Barnstaple,, a huge affair, does not allow purchase of two tickets so you can't park there with a car & trailer either
The second largest public carpark in Dereham used to have a weight restriction of 30cwt
All Chelmsford city council car parks have a 1500kg unladen weight limit but as I said to the bloke on the phone , "when am I going to see the range rovers, G wagons,land crusiers , most large mpv's all getting tickets?"
Intermarche has height barrier.. came across it in Chateudun, . it was 3mt .. but you could access the fuel pumps

View attachment 884839
You can drive around them .I had no problem last year. It is like many super u's also . Or you drive in the out if no barrier.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
You can drive around them .I had no problem last year. It is like many super u's also . Or you drive in the out if no barrier.

Sometimes there is the possibility of driving into the 'Deliveries' entrance and connecting with the parking area that way - no height barriers there.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
One uk council web site (can’t remember which) identified possible car parks for Motorhome parking, but when looking via google satellite there were signs at the entrance with weight limits. Contacted the council who said it would be fine, the weight limit was just to stop trucks! Also if the machine was reluctant to give two tickets, reg number to be inserted, use two different machines, as every car park had at least two machines.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
I parked at Cheshire oaks once for 15 mins seen the parky pass me as I got out and walked away he gave me a "hi"
I was in the MH so had to take up 4 spaces,
came back and he had tickets me, on a car park of probably 2000 spaces with about 300 cars on, and no one on my section'

its a job

Cheshire Oaks now has a dedicated Motorhome parking area.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009

View attachment 884839
Yes that is the group, height near St Tropez was 2.6M so glad we had filled up at an independent elsewhere, it was a long way to next nearest fuel station.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
IMG_0441.png

Used it a number of times. No need to call the number on the entrance gate. Entry from the roundabout.

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Horizon sent me a fine of £70 for overstaying our time, this was just before Christmas. Yes we did overstay, but also spent over £160 on groceries, then had lunch in the cafe before leaving.

Took the letter to customer services and showed them our till receipt etc. They then kindly told Horizon to push off and told me if I hear from them again to ignore it. We didn’t hear from again.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Mmm..IMO... ignore.. they will threaten you with court....
They won't proceed..... cost them too much for fine you will be given.
Risky advice. It is not a fine it is an invoice for a service. When you park in a private car park you are agreeing to their terms of service.

Last year the guidance was withdrawn limiting what they could charge. Not sure if that has been updated.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Be careful with the advice of ignore...

these parking companies chase very aggressively these days, up to 3 or 4 years ago they used to go away regularly when ignored, things have changed somewhat
that's true.

my son decided to fight them a couple of years ago and lost in court. ended up with about £300 to pay. They had pushed for much more but the judge told them no.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
that's true.

my son decided to fight them a couple of years ago and lost in court. ended up with about £300 to pay. They had pushed for much more but the judge told them no.
A chap I know in North Wales bailiffs have been round and it keeps mounting. He's arguing the point and thinks they will go away.

Hiding your car and watching worrying behind the curtains isn't for me. I'd rather pay up.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Isn't the real point that the landowners often get money for nothing, by in effect licensing these Parking Management Companies to ticket the ordinary customers who infringe the arbitrary "terms and conditions" in situations where in reality neither the landowner nor the Parking Management Company has incurred ANY financial loss (direct or indirect) as a consequence of the alleged minor "breach" of T&Cs?

I find this whole approach offends the basic principles of the Law of Contract. It is a spatchcock invented under the ConDem coalition, responding to a campaign by the Daily Mail against cowboy clampers. Fair enough, because there were some very bad clamping abuses, but there could have been better ways to legislate to stop such abuses. Instead of landowners having a common law right to clamp trespassing vehicles, the coalition government banned clamping outright, instead substituting a ticketing right, that in its turn is becoming a widespread abuse thanks to the Parking Management Companies' greed and underhand tactics. Even MacDonalds burger eaters are getting fined heavily for overstaying, having been held up in drive-through queues. The flawed legislation included in the Orwellian "Protection of Freedoms Act" was pushed through Parliament by a LibDem junior minister.

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Something I forgot to mention earlier, was that customer service at Tesco told us to notify them on arrival, that we may go over our allotted time for parking, which they will record to prevent a ticket.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Something I forgot to mention earlier, was that customer service at Tesco told us to notify them on arrival, that we may go over our allotted time for parking, which they will record to prevent a ticket.
Tesco Extra near us have a three hour parking limit, presumably o prevent it being used as an all day car park by commuters .. and surely three hours is more than enough to do a weeks shopping .. and have a coffee

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Yes we have had the same problem. Parked at Sainsbury’s in cramlington occupying two spaces rather than one (we are 8.5 m long) and got fined. Signs clearly said to park inside bays and no caravans, trailers etc but only looked at them after we saw the ticket.
In our case spoke to customer service who said the car park was nothing to do with Sainsbury’s and was privately owned and managed. Appealed waste of time and told the signage was clear so had to pay up.
Ignore the numpties saying ignore the fine, you just dig a deeper hole for yourself. You must follow their process to appeal and find something (such as no signage or something that can contend they are not operating in accordance with their published rules). I doubt you will be successful but since the works look like they are temporary you might be lucky.
Otherwise you just need to chalk it up to experience and I guarantee like me you will now look at the car park signs before leaving the Moho.
What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Yes we have had the same problem. Parked at Sainsbury’s in cramlington occupying two spaces rather than one (we are 8.5 m long) and got fined. Signs clearly said to park inside bays and no caravans, trailers etc but only looked at them after we saw the ticket.
In our case spoke to customer service who said the car park was nothing to do with Sainsbury’s and was privately owned and managed. Appealed waste of time and told the signage was clear so had to pay up.
Ignore the numpties saying ignore the fine, you just dig a deeper hole for yourself. You must follow their process to appeal and find something (such as no signage or something that can contend they are not operating in accordance with their published rules). I doubt you will be successful but since the works look like they are temporary you might be lucky.
Otherwise you just need to chalk it up to experience and I guarantee like me you will now look at the car park signs before leaving the Moho.
I wasn't aware of the restrictions on certain vehicles at Sainsbury's car park in Cramlington until you pointed it out.

They are my local shops I had a look when next there and yes, there are loads of signs around the car park. But you have to be well inside to be able to read them. Although you can drive straight out I suppose.

well done for getting an 8.5m vehicle in there though. The entrance road has a very tight bend on it, probably to deter long vehicles.

I believe the car park is owned by the shopping centre owners which now is something to do with part of the council.

May 21, 2014
Llywel Brecon
Funster No
MH
Rapido M96
Exp
Since May 2014
Time to start watching "The Black Belt Barrister" on Youtube, when getting into a car parking situation. A minefield of useful information to contest these situations when dealing with private parking companies.

Nov 30, 2023
Weymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
DIY Transit
Exp
On first long trip
I received a 'fine' from Horizon parking who manage the parking at our local Tesco. I wasn't in the motorhome at the time but it just got me thinking about parking the motorhome there as I often do this on trips.

Basically I was 'fined' for 'not parking within a marked bay.' on this occasion my excuse was there are some barriers up so the marked bays are not long enough for safe parking. Me and several others parked longways across the bays instead. I went back and people were still doing this (no temporary signs saying not to). Horizon making a mint out of Tesco customers in this particular situation then.

Anyway, on a more general note - anyone been 'fined' in a supermarket for parking a motorhome a across 2 or more bays?

Would be interested in any thoughts about how to approach this particular situation too!

View attachment 884583

Today...

View attachment 884584
Very important not to ignore it. Reply in writing with your position. Refer to the 2014 Consumer Protection Act concerning unreasonable implied contract terms. This shows you are serious, and capable, about resisting. Also important, should it go to court, to show that you have acted reasonably and their action is a poor use of the court’s time. If you don’t reply you lose all this. This is not legal advice, I am not a lawyer , but my record in litigation is 4 wins no losses, against Shell, a Dutch bank and EON (twice- they never learn!). I find the English Small Claims Court system very fair, logical and supportive of the lay individual.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Numpties??????????

Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
I'm with the others who say to ignore the threatening paperwork - DON'T reply to any of it, just straight in the bin. You can't get away with it with a regular traffic warden on double yellows, etc, but with ''private'' firms you can. I've done this in the past and they eventually give up. Don't be alarmed at the ''impending doom'' messages of increased fines and court costs. Bin 'em all. They make a mint from all the poor souls who just stump up, so can't be arsed with the hassle of courts and just send automated letters at given time intervals which will eventually stop. But - I repeat - DON'T reply to any of them. As for parking in two or even several bays, we always do this in our 9m moho, but we also have a sign on our windscreen saying, ''Dear Traffic Warden, apologies for parking over more than one bay, but please note we have bought two tickets (if in a Pay & Display car park) to make up for this - hope that's ok! Thank you.'' It seems to work ok in Supermarkets, too. I only had to challenge it once with Chester Council and when I sent them a photo of the two (concurrent) parking receipts they cancelled the fine. I'm sure the windscreen message helps, too.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
A chap I know in North Wales bailiffs have been round and it keeps mounting. He's arguing the point and thinks they will go away.
Hiding your car and watching worrying behind the curtains isn't for me. I'd rather pay up.
Yep, it isn't worth the hassle to me.
In Guildford a couple of weeks ago all traffic was diverted into the bus lane by temp bollards at an emergency repair of a leaking water main and I got a £60 bill (reduced to £30 for immediate payment) with a photo of my car in the bus lane.
I just paid up as life's too short to get into protracted arguments over a few quid.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
In Guildford a couple of weeks ago all traffic was diverted into the bus lane by temp bollards at an emergency repair of a leaking water main and I got a £60 bill (reduced to £30 for immediate payment) with a photo of my car in the bus lane.
I just paid up as life's too short to get into protracted arguments over a few quid.
So how much did they reap because vehicles being forced into bus lane.... what were you supposed to do.. stop and wait for the bollards to be removed..
That IMO is definately worth pursuing!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

That was your decision, but if all drivers did that imagine how much the Council would reap during the period that all traffic was diverted around the repairs that probably took many hours. Not to speak of the rake-off if any contractor was involved in operating the scheme.

I hope some local residents approach their Councilors to urge the Council to cancel all fines, and refund any paid, for the period in which the works were in progress.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back