Parking: Well done Carlisle City Council (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Castle Car Park in the city centre (Devonshire Walk), right next to the Castle and opposite Tullie House Museum.

I'm not tall enough for the tarmac writing to show up properly :) , but it says "Coaches, Caravans & CAMPERVANS". 16 space in total, 8 on each side.

%2BCarlisle%2Bparking%2B-%2B01.jpg

%2BCarlisle%2Bparking%2B-%2B02.jpg

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Nice one! That's the carpark that used to have a ban on 'acts of domesticity' - I think that meant 'no cooking in your campervan'...
I have had that ban in place for myself for most of my adult life (y)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Not Carlisle.

I am in periodic contact with thr CPs manager for Canterbury and he has recently told me that, in addition to the very useful MH facilities at their New Dover Road P+R, they are extending the Wincheap P+R and will be also providig MH facilities there.

There are thankfully some enlightened Councils.

Geoff

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It seems the word is spreading - slowly and quietly. Well done to all and for bringing them to our notice.

Only hope the "undesirables" don't follow this forum :eek:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
It seems the word is spreading - slowly and quietly. Well done to all and for bringing them to our notice.

Only hope the "undesirables" don't follow this forum :eek:

My exchange with Colin at Canterbury included my joking that he should be cloned and a copy sent to all local Councils, which amused him.

I hope to meet him in early Sept. for ideas about the new facilities.

Geoff

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just glad to see it can be done, that's two in one day

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There are hundreds of councils that make provision for daytime parking of motorhomes. Even where there is no off street daytime parking provision it is possible to find somewhere to park on street in the vast majority of towns and villages.

I, too, have had a deal of correspondence with Colin Perris at Canterbury. As discussed previously, the overnight camping facility at New Dover Road P&R has a USP of being close to channel ports, which is why it was tried first. It is because of the success there that other overnight camping facilities in other towns in the Canterbury City Council area have been made available - i.e. there is evidence that it is worthwhile investing.

In most other places it isn't a case of councils not being enlightened. In most other places the evidence isn't there to support the provision of overnight camping facilities in car parks - mainly because most of the people who say they want them are not prepared to put in the effort to obtain and present it.

In some places the question has been examined and the decision has come down on the side of no provision because that is what the evidence points to. In some cases that is because of "undesirables".

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
£3.50 all day? they are missing out there(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The parking order says (paragraph 17): No vehicle left in a Parking Place may be used for sleeping, camping, eating or cooking purposes.
so it is parking not camping

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The parking order says (paragraph 17): No vehicle left in a Parking Place may be used for sleeping, camping, eating or cooking purposes.
Come on Graham, I never said anything about sleeping, only that you can PARK overnight if you don't mind staying til 6:30am or paying £45 to leave early.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Come on Graham, I never said anything about sleeping, only that you can PARK overnight if you don't mind staying til 6:30am or paying £45 to leave early.
Yes, John, but we know how much some other members confuse the two terms. I just wished to make it clear before this thread went that same way, as with others.
Unfortunately it appears that did not work.

OP
OP
Hedgewitch
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Right next to the main rail line I don't know that I would want to stay overnight :LOL:.

But I didn't share this for any reason other than to show if you want to visit for the day then there's a level car park, with big spaces marked out, for a good price, within five minutes walk of the city centre and shops.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I w
£3.50 all day? they are missing out there(y)
Not really, it's only £2:50 per day for cars.
Extremely reasonable.

Today I had to use a Scarborough carpark... Minimum 2hr stay = £3.
I was at an important appointment which was delayed and unknowingly going to overstay parking by 30 minutes so Shirl had to go and feed another minimum charge of £3 into the no armed bandit.

£6 for 2 1/2 hours.... Would have been better paying £4:50 for 3hrs on street parking had I known the meeting would run over

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
If you come to sunny Southend on sea and drive along the seafront easterly, until you hit the area known as Thorpe Bay, where the beach huts are, the side roads here are parking charge free.
You cant put tables and chairs out but there is a big grassed area where you can picnic.
Just keep a low profile ( no pun intended ) and you can stay overnights no problem..... appydays… :cheers:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If you come to sunny Southend on sea and drive along the seafront easterly, until you hit the area known as Thorpe Bay, where the beach huts are, the side roads here are parking charge free.
You cant put tables and chairs out but there is a big grassed area where you can picnic.
Just keep a low profile ( no pun intended ) and you can stay overnights no problem..... appydays… :cheers:
Shhhhhh there's spies in the camp. ..before you know it there will be no motorhomes or caravan signs up there

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Maybe we can have some kind of Motorhomefun award that we give to councils in the UK who recognise the need for (and benefit to the local community of) designated motorhome parking. It need not be a physical award, just an acknowledgement that we appreciate their efforts and wisdom.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back