Apr 20, 2019
Chadwick end
Funster No
MH
Pilote G720 FC
Exp
Since 2017
Hi all
We are seriously considering downsizing from our current Pilote A class to a pvc . We have recently bought an apartment in the same block as my daughter in Servoz France and have found the A class a bit to big to use round the alps as a daily driver. Ideally would like any recommendations from Funsters who have downsized. We know there will be lots of compromise the things we would ideally want would be a transverse bed auto transmission ( have the new 9 speed Fiat auto on the Pilote) and probably around 6 metres long. Just starting to look now so any suggestions would be appreciated. The same with dealers either in West Midlands or Hertfordshire.
šŸ˜Š

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I think all WildAxes have washrooms. Had mine since 2012 and it's been brilliant. We used to get out the double bed which was huge (7 ' across), but now set it up as 2 singles. My partner is 6'2'' and sleeps well in the van.

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
as Iā€™m 6 ft so not sure how practical a pvc transverse bed would be .
I am 6ā€™-1ā€ and was very surprised at how long the transverse bed was in the Adria 600 SPB. Adria say it is 1960 mm (6ā€™-5ā€) but I think that includes the recess they put in the internal wall panels.

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We had a A Class Eura Mobil and went to a 6m Rapido v53 then changed to a 6m Pilote g600 after becoming resident in Spain šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡ø.

Had it 6 and a half years and no plans to change, even though the last two were changed at 5 years our first C Class at 2. šŸ˜

We prefer the Pilote with the high fridge and the lower cupboards are drawers, it has a nice size shower as the sink slides out the way and the shower tray is great having a lower channel so you don't have to be level and to improve the solid structure of the tray. šŸ˜€ Bob.

Upvote 0

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ā˜˜
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ā›±
Exp
Since 1980s
Morning all really appreciate all of your recommendations so far on the shortlists will be
Malibu
Globecar
Adria Twin
Hymer Grand Canyon
Itā€™s a pity weā€™ll miss the motorhome show at the NEC but we will be travelling from France to Portugal for a family holiday so will have to use some dealer searches. šŸ˜Š
Good luck with your quest they're all great vans in their own right, hope you get a van that suits your needs, as to your original post we never regretted downsizing from a big van to a small van šŸ™‚

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
The two dealers in Newark, SMC have globecar and Brownhills Adria(mostly new I think in the big shed)
Yes. When we were looking to swap from our coachbuilt it was really useful having the two so close together to be able to compare Adria and Globecar on the same day. SMC also do Autosleeper so we were able to confirm that those didnā€™t fulfill our requirements.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Thanks HJA really interesting as we do a lot of cooking from scratch also hadnā€™t thought of 2 singles but might be a better option as Iā€™m 6 ft so not sure how practical a pvc transverse bed would be .
You could go up a size and get the Hymer MLT 560 (Transverse bed/6.5m) or MLT 580 (Twin beds/6.7m)
But they are 'box on the back' design

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2023
Hull, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks HJA really interesting as we do a lot of cooking from scratch also hadnā€™t thought of 2 singles but might be a better option as Iā€™m 6 ft so not sure how practical a pvc transverse bed would be .
We have a Westfalia Columbus. Transverse bed which is big enough for us as there is only two of us. Bed easily long enough and I am 6'2". Masses of storage, front seats tilt forward for loads more storage. Build quality is the best we have had in twenty years. On a Fiat heavy chassis auto. Fiat are wide enough to sleep across others are not. That's why a lot of VW etc have a side pop out which I didn't like. Diesel heating and hot water under the van which means more space for stuff. 6m but other variations.
I like that we can go anywhere and have just gone over the A2205 from Ainsa to Alquazar in Spain.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I'm 6'1" and it's ... ok. My previous van had a huge bed - 2.15m length, from memory - and this one is reported as 1.96 - so about 6'5". In practice it's a few cm less given internal hardware. The bed is 1.4m wide so one can also take advantage of some of the width. (On the diagonal it would in theory give about 2.4m - in practice it's about 2.2 m - though of course unless you're sharing your bed with a chihuahua you may not be able to take full advantage of that.)

It is a bit of a trade-off, but I wouldn't at this stage want a van that is 0.4m longer. Also, single beds in the longer vans are often only about 2m - i.e. just a few cm longer than mine - with less opportunity for 'diagonal offset' unless they can be configured as a double bed.

I would definitely be prepared to take shoes off and spread out on the beds to get a proper sense of how they will work for you!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Adtan

Adtan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2019
Chadwick end
Funster No
MH
Pilote G720 FC
Exp
Since 2017
Good luck with your quest they're all great vans in their own right, hope you get a van that suits your needs, as to your original post we never regretted downsizing from a big van to a small van šŸ™‚
Thanks Captain Paul thatā€™s our thinking Iā€™ve seen your van on a view posts so itā€™s definitely one to look šŸ˜Š

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Adtan

Adtan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2019
Chadwick end
Funster No
MH
Pilote G720 FC
Exp
Since 2017
We had a A Class Eura Mobil and went to a 6m Rapido v53 then changed to a 6m Pilote g600 after becoming resident in Spain šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡ø.

Had it 6 and a half years and no plans to change, even though the last two were changed at 5 years our first C Class at 2. šŸ˜

We prefer the Pilote with the high fridge and the lower cupboards are drawers, it has a nice size shower as the sink slides out the way and the shower tray is great having a lower channel so you don't have to be level and to improve the solid structure of the tray. šŸ˜€ Bob.
Hi the g600 are a nice van but it would mean sticking with a smaller AClass I think weā€™re pretty set on looking at the PVC options but we havenā€™t ruled anything out yetšŸ‘

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Adtan

Adtan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2019
Chadwick end
Funster No
MH
Pilote G720 FC
Exp
Since 2017
Yes. When we were looking to swap from our coachbuilt it was really useful having the two so close together to be able to compare Adria and Globecar on the same day. SMC also do Autosleeper so we were able to confirm that those didnā€™t fulfill our requirements.
That sounds like a useful trip I know from the past how hard it is to remember the bits u like on Vans you have seen at different dealers šŸ‘

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Adtan

Adtan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2019
Chadwick end
Funster No
MH
Pilote G720 FC
Exp
Since 2017
I'm 6'1" and it's ... ok. My previous van had a huge bed - 2.15m length, from memory - and this one is reported as 1.96 - so about 6'5". In practice it's a few cm less given internal hardware. The bed is 1.4m wide so one can also take advantage of some of the width. (On the diagonal it would in theory give about 2.4m - in practice it's about 2.2 m - though of course unless you're sharing your bed with a chihuahua you may not be able to take full advantage of that.)

It is a bit of a trade-off, but I wouldn't at this stage want a van that is 0.4m longer. Also, single beds in the longer vans are often only about 2m - i.e. just a few cm longer than mine - with less opportunity for 'diagonal offset' unless they can be configured as a double bed.

I would definitely be prepared to take shoes off and spread out on the beds to get a proper sense of how they will work for you!
Yes I said to my wife would have to try lying on the beds to check size and comfort that will be one of the disadvantages of downsizing from the Aclass with an island bed.

Upvote 0
Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
I think all WildAxes have washrooms. Had mine since 2012 and it's been brilliant. We used to get out the double bed which was huge (7 ' across), but now set it up as 2 singles. My partner is 6'2'' and sleeps well in the van.
Similar situation for us with Wildax Europa. Use generally as 2 singles (leaving spare cushions at home), but keeping space for dog in between.

I avoided transverse options as typically a bit tight for over-six-footers and not great for inevitable night-time loo trips either...

(of course, when the urge takes you, or if travelling alone, oyou can still use the massive double for extra comfort).

PS. Nick Whale, Evesham is probably your nearest dealer.

Good luck with the search.
Let us know the outcome.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Adtan if a Malibu Van is still on your list this video might be of interest.

Yes I said to my wife would have to try lying on the beds to check size and comfort that will be one of the disadvantages of downsizing from the Aclass with an island bed.
We downsized from a Carthago A Class and the bed comfort is just as good. Fixed beds, proper mattresses and proper springing beneath the mattresses the same as the A Class.

Upvote 0

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ā›±
Exp
Since 1980s
I visited the Malibu factory in Ormož last month but unlike the Carthago factory unfortunately there's no access for the public as yet to look around, not even an accessories shop, lots of load loaders coming and going with shiny new vans on board theres also a nice free aire (including EHU) a few hundred yards away and it's a lovely little town to visit

20240807_152429.jpg

20240805_100516.jpg

20240807_152210.jpg

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi the g600 are a nice van but it would mean sticking with a smaller AClass I think weā€™re pretty set on looking at the

PVC options but we havenā€™t ruled anything out yetšŸ‘
Sorry should have put V600G it's a panel van conversion. šŸ‘šŸ˜ Bob.

Our old Rapido V53 and our present van Pilote V600g
20180429_111948.jpg

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We changed from A class to PVC and as ever found layout was king. But felt in the smaller footprint of the PVC it was even more import.

We settled on an Autosleeper Kingham, which for our two berth use is ideal. Most fixed bed PVC layouts have a small front dinette, which for us is no go as we both like to have our feet up. The Kingham has a fixed French bed at the rear and a settee at the front, with swivelling front seats so you can use them facing each other as another settee. The bed also has a day bed position which is also useful. Kingham is on the 6.36 Boxer/Ducato chassis.

The build is not as good as our previous A class, but other than that have no regrets about downsizing.

Upvote 0

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ā›±
Exp
Since 1980s
We changed from A class to PVC and as ever found layout was king. But felt in the smaller footprint of the PVC it was even more import.

We settled on an Autosleeper Kingham, which for our two berth use is ideal. Most fixed bed PVC layouts have a small front dinette, which for us is no go as we both like to have our feet up. The Kingham has a fixed French bed at the rear and a settee at the front, with swivelling front seats so you can use them facing each other as another settee. The bed also has a day bed position which is also useful. Kingham is on the 6.36 Boxer/Ducato chassis.

The build is not as good as our previous A class, but other than that have no regrets about downsizing.
Great van the Kingham, šŸ‘had one on loan for a weekend while getting warranty work done a few years back, fantastic van and very comfortable

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 640
Exp
Since 2014
We too have a Summit Prime 640. Having just downsized from a Rapido A Class. We were staggered by the amount of storage it has so hardly downsized.
We wanted longitudinal beds.The biggest downside of a transverse bed as far as we were concerned is if the far occupant needs a wee in the night.

Should note we've spent 10 weeks in Scandinavia and another 2 in the outer hebrides with no issues regarding space.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Morning all really appreciate all of your recommendations so far on the shortlists will be
Malibu
Globecar
Adria Twin
Hymer Grand Canyon
Itā€™s a pity weā€™ll miss the motorhome show at the NEC but we will be travelling from France to Portugal for a family holiday so will have to use some dealer searches. šŸ˜Š
You might want to add the Rapido V55 to your list. https://www.rapido-motorhome.co.uk/motorhome_vans_vans_v55.chtml

Rapido has quite a long and illustrious record of producing quality van conversions, as well as coachbuilts. Lots of innovative and sensible features. :giggle:

We downsized from a coachbuilt to a Rapido V68 (6.8m with twin longitudinal beds), but if you are seeking a transverse bed and want more of a daily driver, then the 6m V55 would be the one to look at.

Our very first van was a Rapido coachbuilt and we were very happy to go back to the brand when we downsized to the V68 with comfortmatic - that was 8 years ago. ;)

Good luck with your quest, whatever your choice! (y)

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Converted Panel Vans can be built to the same standard as an A Class. On ours the upholstery, joinery and fitting out are all up to the usual Carthago standard. The blinds are lighter weight and the sliding doors on the washroom are less substantial. There are obviously some compromises on space and layout, the compressor fridge is smaller but works far better than our AES ones did.

If I have any regrets it is that people keep calling them PVCs. PVC is a cheap plastic not a motorhome.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
We have an Etrusco (part of the German Hymer group) model CV540 DB with virtually all the options plus the 180 engine and auto box. Unlike you we are coming from smaller vehicles but we find the van perfectly comfortable for 2, and at 185cm tall I fit fine in the transverse bed which I think is 190cm.

We really value the low weight giving lots of payload, and the great performance where it has no problems with steep mountain roads. Best of all the 5.4m length means we can park it almost anywhere without a height barrier.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back