Apr 20, 2019
Chadwick end
Funster No
MH
Pilote G720 FC
Exp
Since 2017
Hi all
We are seriously considering downsizing from our current Pilote A class to a pvc . We have recently bought an apartment in the same block as my daughter in Servoz France and have found the A class a bit to big to use round the alps as a daily driver. Ideally would like any recommendations from Funsters who have downsized. We know there will be lots of compromise the things we would ideally want would be a transverse bed auto transmission ( have the new 9 speed Fiat auto on the Pilote) and probably around 6 metres long. Just starting to look now so any suggestions would be appreciated. The same with dealers either in West Midlands or Hertfordshire.
😊

Dec 21, 2014
Littleborough, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
2015 for a year then a break. Now a newbie again!
We have a CV20 purely because of the 6ft 'bed / seats and no need to make them up. There are only 2 of us. 19 plate Elddis Autoquest 6 speed 'auto' , touch wood no probs. Good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Adtan

Adtan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2019
Chadwick end
Funster No
MH
Pilote G720 FC
Exp
Since 2017
We have a CV20 purely because of the 6ft 'bed / seats and no need to make them up. There are only 2 of us. 19 plate Elddis Autoquest 6 speed 'auto' , touch wood no probs. Good luck.
Hi Jo May appreciate the reply I’ll add this to my list to look at 😊

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We have a Globecar Sumit Prime 6.4m so we have two full length fixed single beds, but they do the same layout on 6m with a transverse bed. Big garage. Useable shower. Two burner hob and compressor fridge. Plenty of worktop which is important for us because we cook from scratch. Sliding door on drivers side which we have never found a problem. We like it. We swapped from a 6.4 m coach built, find this better.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Hi we had a wildax no problems with it and the shower / toilet area is a wet room so no horrible shower curtain.
Now we have a sunlight V69 coachbuilt just slightly wider than a panel van but is 6.8 meters long but is easy to drive through narrow roads
Kev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Hi all
We are seriously considering downsizing from our current Pilote A class to a pvc . We have recently bought an apartment in the same block as my daughter in Servoz France and have found the A class a bit to big to use round the alps as a daily driver. Ideally would like any recommendations from Funsters who have downsized. We know there will be lots of compromise the things we would ideally want would be a transverse bed auto transmission ( have the new 9 speed Fiat auto on the Pilote) and probably around 6 metres long. Just starting to look now so any suggestions would be appreciated. The same with dealers either in West Midlands or Hertfordshire.
😊
I have a 6m Globecar Globescout (LHD manual) which I’ve been happy with. Fixed rear transverse bed but convenient garage storage

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Have you considered just getting a small runaround vehicle and keeping your lovely A class🤷🏻‍♂️👍

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We have a 640 Globecar Campscout - 2 longitudinal beds and a cavernous garage. When we swap I’d like to see if I can find something where I can sit up in bed without hitting my head, and possibly a different arrangement rather than the dinette. This suits for now as sometimes need to transport an adult child.

Upvote 0
Aug 16, 2024
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
dipping a toe
Hi all
😊
As someone actively looking for a PVC from Hertfordshire, its pretty much a desert. There is Venture in Hitchin, when I went there they had new Autosleepers, Warwick XL and Symbol, but little else. A few of those tent top PVC, which I ignored.... The rest were coach builds
To be honest, there seems to very little North of London, think you are likely to have to travel. I've been to Newark, Nottingham, Northampton, and Banbury, done most of my looking on the net.
There is a sunlight dealer in Waltham Abbey (Goodmans), say they are moving to Stevenage in the next couple of weeks, current site is too expense and looked pretty cramp. The do new Sunlights, but most of their stock are rentals

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Hymer Grand canyon S would be my start point.
Mercedes Sprinter base, just under 6m,

1726354186718.png

details here

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
Hymer Grand canyon S would be my start point.
Mercedes Sprinter base, just under 6m,

View attachment 949803

details here
Had a look at the grand canyon and didnt like it.
Felt cramped inside, and transverse bed (even with flares to slightly widen it) was too short for me (6ft).
Also never saw the point of the pop top on such a large van which required a certificate in mountaineering to gain access to.

Also expensive,
Just my opinion.

Graydo

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Adtan

Adtan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2019
Chadwick end
Funster No
MH
Pilote G720 FC
Exp
Since 2017
We have a Globecar Sumit Prime 6.4m so we have two full length fixed single beds, but they do the same layout on 6m with a transverse bed. Big garage. Useable shower. Two burner hob and compressor fridge. Plenty of worktop which is important for us because we cook from scratch. Sliding door on drivers side which we have never found a problem. We like it. We swapped from a 6.4 m coach built, find this better.
Thanks HJA really interesting as we do a lot of cooking from scratch also hadn’t thought of 2 singles but might be a better option as I’m 6 ft so not sure how practical a pvc transverse bed would be .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Adtan

Adtan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2019
Chadwick end
Funster No
MH
Pilote G720 FC
Exp
Since 2017
As someone actively looking for a PVC from Hertfordshire, its pretty much a desert. There is Venture in Hitchin, when I went there they had new Autosleepers, Warwick XL and Symbol, but little else. A few of those tent top PVC, which I ignored.... The rest were coach builds
To be honest, there seems to very little North of London, think you are likely to have to travel. I've been to Newark, Nottingham, Northampton, and Banbury, done most of my looking on the net.
There is a sunlight dealer in Waltham Abbey (Goodmans), say they are moving to Stevenage in the next couple of weeks, current site is too expense and looked pretty cramp. The do new Sunlights, but most of their stock are rentals
Thanks for the heads up re dealers we do spend part of the week in the midlands Go European look like they do Malibu so might have a look there when we’re back in the uk.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Adtan

Adtan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2019
Chadwick end
Funster No
MH
Pilote G720 FC
Exp
Since 2017
Morning all really appreciate all of your recommendations so far on the shortlists will be
Malibu
Globecar
Adria Twin
Hymer Grand Canyon
It’s a pity we’ll miss the motorhome show at the NEC but we will be travelling from France to Portugal for a family holiday so will have to use some dealer searches. 😊

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks HJA really interesting as we do a lot of cooking from scratch also hadn’t thought of 2 singles but might be a better option as I’m 6 ft so not sure how practical a pvc transverse bed would be .
The longer of the 2 singles in the Malibu 640 is 2.02m long.
have found the A class a bit to big to use round the alps as a daily driver.
The van itself is 6.36m x 2.05m, I find I can park it in a standard car park space with all 4 wheels within the white lines provided I can reverse the rear overhang over a grass verge or kerb. The front overhangs the road a little but no more than half the larger cars do already. We are currently driving it around Northumberland and the Scottish Borders (not the Alps) and I have yet to encounter any problems with driving or parking. Unlike previous larger motorhomes I now look forward to the drive.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
PVC washrooms tend to be very cramped unless you have one across the rear. The great disadvantage of that is that the bed is made from a dinette at the front.
We chose to have a comfy rear wrap around lounge with longitudinal beds as we both so tall.
I was very impressed with a view of a Wildax recently, same layout as us but the extra 30cm which is wasted space behind our drivers seat and just becomes a dumping ground, was used to make a washroom with a separate shower. A very nice arrangement.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back