Panel or kombi van?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Hello all!

I'm thinking of buying a medium van to convert into a camper but what's the best base van to start with? A plain old panel van or a crew cab style with windows already fitted?

Thanks so much.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Hello all!

I'm thinking of buying a medium van to convert into a camper but what's the best base van to start with? A plain old panel van or a crew cab style with windows already fitted?

Thanks so much.
Depends on budget
Main drawback i see for single glazed windows is condensation and generally non opening

Upvote 0

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Hello all!

Thanks so much.
Depends on budget
Main drawback i see for single glazed windows is condensation and generally non opening

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
You're often better fitting your own windows. Camper windows are double glazed. And can cover the inner insulation.

The seats on a crew cab can be useful. But only if they're the right location and the right height. The cab seats with a spinning base end up being quite raised. A table that's right for the cab ends up uncomfortably high for cab seats. Hence converters raise them on a platform. But it needs custom bases for the seats to sit on.

Upvote 0

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
If you fit windows yourself the motorhome type you have ventilation and blind/flyscreen
If you co down that route you can buy curved ones that fit the contour of the van better

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
Depends on budget
Definitely agree on the condensation aspect for single glazed crew van original fitted windows. I would get a panel van and fit my own proper camper windows..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Thanks very much everyone for the advice. I'll get me a panel van then. Regarding the cab swivel seats can I fit these myself? Is it a hard/easy job? I'm a tradesman so I'm practical and I did convert a transit many years ago but at a basic level. Also, how easy is it to remove the bulkhead - thinking of buying a vivaro H1L2. Cheers

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Thanks very much everyone for the advice. I'll get me a panel van then. Regarding the cab swivel seats can I fit these myself? Is it a hard/easy job? I'm a tradesman so I'm practical and I did convert a transit many years ago but at a basic level. Also, how easy is it to remove the bulkhead - thinking of buying a vivaro H1L2. Cheers
You can buy the swivel mechanism. It just clamps between the seat and the base.

Getting a single seat for the passenger side can take some effort. I'm not sure what the situation is with a Vivaro. It may not be the same as the driver's seat. I think it's down to the belt receiver? I've heard some people getting a scrap LHD driver's seat from Europe.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Fitting seat swivels often involves changing the seat mounting as the swivel raises the seat a few inches ,replacement mounts are available for many vans (but not cheap) ,many me included alter or re fabricate the original base ( beware of insurance tho)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Some may disagree but having considered swivels I felt and observed in manufacturers vans they have more disadvantages than advantages in a mwb pvc..the drivers swivel is often restricted by furniture ,the passenger is across the side door ,the height is wrong,they heavily dictate the whole vehicle layout..even down to the need for cab blinds or screen cover,instead of a simple curtain.
Look at what's available for different vans I would say the Ducati type has more conversation/upgrade stuff than any other except vw

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
If changing a double seat to a single often the electrics need adapting so the ECU still effectively sees 2 seats belts etc.
Think on newer vans this must be done by reprogramming of some sort

Upvote 0

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I have found a company on eBay very good for swivels Jennings seats I think good quality CAK
Vary from £120 to £160 meet standards necessary

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Some may disagree but having considered swivels I felt and observed in manufacturers vans they have more disadvantages than advantages in a mwb pvc..the drivers swivel is often restricted by furniture ,the passenger is across the side door ,the height is wrong,they heavily dictate the whole vehicle layout..even down to the need for cab blinds or screen cover,instead of a simple curtain.
Look at what's available for different vans I would say the Ducati type has more conversation/upgrade stuff than any other except vw
I agree, there's a lot of compromises. But it's also enabling the cab to be used as living space when you're parked up.

My first van was a post conversion job, paid for by the previous owner. It was a Ducato 5.4m. Behind the driver's seat was a full height cabinet. The seat swivel was irritating because it clashed with the cabinet, steering wheel and the handbrake. And I could only turn it a bit over 90° and it involved tilting the seat back upright, moving the seat all the way forwards, turning a bit, sliding back, then turning the rest of the way. Faff. But it was a comfy perch once set up. The passenger seat twisted all the way around and freed up some legroom.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Not yet
I didn't plan on making the drivers seat swivel, didn't even come to mind really! I think I would just want the passenger seat to swivel? Rewiring the seatbelts/ECU sounds a bit of a faff? Maybe there are companies out there that can do it for you. Thanks all.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I didn't plan on making the drivers seat swivel, didn't even come to mind really! I think I would just want the passenger seat to swivel? Rewiring the seatbelts/ECU sounds a bit of a faff? Maybe there are companies out there that can do it for you. Thanks all.
To prevent the airbag light from coming on from the removed middle seat, my van just had the unused seatbelt receiver still connected and just zip-tied up inside the passenger seat base to stop it rattling around.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back