P&O pet lounge (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Today we used the P&O ferry to France for the first time in a long time, been using Tunnel.
But thought due to price we would try the ferry and use the pet lounge and what a pleasure it was, very clean and unlimited tea or coffee included ( for the humans😊)
We would definitely use it again, we arrived early and got put on a ferry 1 1/2 hours early
Pippa watching use arrive at Calais.
IMG_3920.jpeg

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I second that it was like being in a ViP lounge.
Two lads tried to come in before we set sail and they were smartly turned away, once on our way the door is on a push button inside the lounge and you need one of the tickets they give you to get back in.
On the whole a very pleasant trip, the ferry was quiet and the channel was like a mill pond.
Added bonus we got there early and were put on an earlier ferry.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's been on the P&O ferries for a few years now I believe.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Is this a fairly new addition to the ferry?
We first used the pet lounge in autumn 2022. I think it was a fairly new addition at that time.

I'd echo the comments from the OP. Very spacious and comfortable lounge, with free refreshments, plus dedicated outside area.

A much more economical alternative to using the tunnel if you have a dog.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I also found the ferry times were better compared to the tunnel, to get better prices on tunnel you have to travel and silly times.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

15isto2

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 27, 2018
Funster No
Andrew Ditton the caravan blogger has just put out a vide of this. Looked quite good but he did have issues of access and egress which looked pretty bad

Reactions: hja
Jan 19, 2014
Calpe Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar T483
Exp
Since 1980
We used Irish ferries a couple of weeks ago and they have just introduced a pet lounge option on one of their boats as it is an old PO ferry.
No extra charge for it's use but no complimentary drinks apart from water for the dog.
Bit of a surprise as not on there website when we booked.
Also was best value across the channel.
Tunnel is now a total rip-off.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We liked the fact not anybody could get into the pet lounge, you need one of the 3 tickets they give when you check in, to access the lounge, so don’t leave them in your vehicle.
Note - we noticed the 3 tickets have in small writing on them saying-keep for return journey.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We liked the fact not anybody could get into the pet lounge, you need one of the 3 tickets they give when you check in, to access the lounge, so don’t leave them in your vehicle.
Note - we noticed the 3 tickets have in small writing on them saying-keep for return journey.
I had a sudden panic then as not sure I kept the pet lounge tickets. Then a “phew” moment, I haven’t booked the return yet 🤣

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Just to add to the info.
The flooring in Pet lounge is hard, not carpet although it looks on first glance to be so. So any accidents are easy to remove, I expect. Take something for dog to lie on if you wish.
The door to an outside deck is always open-specifically for dogs with an area for toilet.
The actual seating is good with a low partition round each table with 2-4 seats, so you have your own area.
There is only water for dogs but I wouldn’t expect anything else, someone asked me if Pip could have a treat the other week, I said yes expecting a small bix…..no she was given a dried Rabbit ear, the smells for several days after were atomic!
Yes keep the three small tickets you are given when checking in, you need them to get into lounge initially.
You press a button to unlock the door to get to rest of boat and you need ticket to get back in. Dogs stay in lounge!
The free tea, coffee, water, coke are in fridges in a self contained area in lounge, help yourself and if you’re feeling peckish there is a vending machine for choc bars & crisps.
Cant think of anything else to add!

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just to add to the info.
The flooring in Pet lounge is hard, not carpet although it looks on first glance to be so. So any accidents are easy to remove, I expect. Take something for dog to lie on if you wish.
The door to an outside deck is always open-specifically for dogs with an area for toilet.
The actual seating is good with a low partition round each table with 2-4 seats, so you have your own area.
There is only water for dogs but I wouldn’t expect anything else, someone asked me if Pip could have a treat the other week, I said yes expecting a small bix…..no she was given a dried Rabbit ear, the smells for several days after were atomic!
Yes keep the three small tickets you are given when checking in, you need them to get into lounge initially.
You press a button to unlock the door to get to rest of boat and you need ticket to get back in. Dogs stay in lounge!
The free tea, coffee, water, coke are in fridges in a self contained area in lounge, help yourself and if you’re feeling peckish there is a vending machine for choc bars & crisps.
Cant think of anything else to add!
And you have to take the correct one of three tickets , if you go out of pet lounge or you can’t get back in, don’t ask how I know🤦‍♂️🤣

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Andrew Ditton the caravan blogger has just put out a vide of this. Looked quite good but he did have issues of access and egress which looked pretty bad
He also identified a none closing door and no staff meaning others were coming in and helping themselves to drinks etc. eventually a member of staff came and did a ticket inspection

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
2yrs in & over 20% of nights 'out'
We used Irish ferries a couple of weeks ago and they have just introduced a pet lounge option on one of their boats as it is an old PO ferry.
No extra charge for it's use but no complimentary drinks apart from water for the dog.
Bit of a surprise as not on there website when we booked.
Also was best value across the channel.
Tunnel is now a total rip-off.
Any more thoughts on Irish Ferries (Oscar Wilde) Pet Den?

We were very impressed with the lounge on the new P&O ferries but Irish is quite a bit cheaper.

Jan 19, 2014
Calpe Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar T483
Exp
Since 1980
As Oscar Wilde was originally a P&O boat the pet area is exactly the same layout.
(We have used the pet lounge on P&O before)
Not sure if the other boats on the Irish fleet have this facility.
However the boat could do with a bit of a makeover as it's looking a bit tired.
But as it is only an hour and half we treat it as a means to an end.
We spent the time in the outside bit as there are seats and Louis spent his time sniffing the various smells around.
You don't pay extra to use the den area so it's your choice whether you keep your pet in the vehicle or take them upstairs.
No complimentary drinks but water is available and no checks or locks on doors.
How long that will last I don't know.
Have just had a promotional email from Irish ferries and the dog lounge is now mentioned so they have realised the potential!!
It was pure luck that we found out about it originally as we didn't know anything about it until we boarded and saw a couple take their dog with them.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You don't pay extra to use the den area so it's your choice whether you keep your pet in the vehicle or take them upstairs.
You do, you pay per person (on P&O) to use the pet lounge on top of dog crossing fee.
Not sure if you were talking about Irish Ferries 🙂

Jan 19, 2014
Calpe Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar T483
Exp
Since 1980
You do, you pay per person (on P&O) to use the pet lounge on top of dog crossing fee.
Not sure if you were talking about Irish Ferries 🙂
Irish ferries you don't pay extra for the lounge at the moment. Cost us 18 Euro each way for the dog.
Quite a bit cheaper than our crossing with P&O last year.
Priced Eurotunnel and the dog was 27 Euro each way total rip-off🤔

Jan 19, 2014
Calpe Spain
Funster No
MH
Benimar T483
Exp
Since 1980
You could always suggest it but I would think Guinness might be the drink of choice.🍻

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back