P & O Iona Norwegian cruise? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
The product is no different to anything else, you get what you pay for. The meals, entertainment, accomodation and travel cost against what you are paying. Then the extras, wifi, tips, cost of drinks, the name of the game is profit. A simple check is to compare the crew count to the passenger count, all in the brochure, that ratio can be telling, that is known as the service ratio.
Modern cruise ships have high comfort levels and noise reduction, they are not vehicle ferries, nor are they ocean liners, all have their place.
Have a good time, get organised, if you need to book anything get it done asap, unpack then enjoy. If you are not happy with something, get in front of someone who can help and ask for it.
The first 100 cruises are exciting, the next 50 are ok, then it becomes a job like any other.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
A good friend sailed on the Iona from Southampton for the Canaries yesterday. She sailed on it to the Fjords last year and enjoyed it despite the more stringent rules around Covid.

We’ve done a couple of cruises, not to the Fjords but we’ve been to Norway in the van and saw some of the big cruise ships. Doesn’t really matter which side you’re on as you go in , turn round and then go back out so experience both sides!

You do need to be a bit selective about trips on cruises but everything in Norway is expensive so brace yourself! The only thing we found that seemed OK was “coffee and cake “ provided you just had a basic coffee as in most places it included a refill. Not if you wanted a latte or cappuccino of course.

Overall they can be very good value indeed. We have a balcony cabin. Not sure about that with a toddler though!

People can be so snobby about cruises. We didn’t think we’d like them but have just booked one for end of April/beg May for a lazy 2 weeks around the Med, a taste of Corsica , Sicily, Croatia, Italy, Malta, S.France before a summer of rallies and then Turkey and Cyprus in the van.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I rarely take ship's organised excursions. The open top tour buses or even a local taxi excursion are my preference as then I can follow my own interests.

One can pre-plan an awful lot from home and be prepared.....

In Bergen we bought "Bergen Cards" which included entry into museums, public transport etc. For what we wanted to do well worth it.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I took the Hurtigruten excursions, undoubtedly more expensive, for 2 reasons.
It was easiest
If there was a delay on an official excursion, the boat would wait. Not so on third party ones

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Blimey that’s a ringing endorsement 😳😱😂

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy the trip.

When you say tray, was that buffet dining? Did you eat in the main dining rooms with table service? There seem to be loads of restaurants, it’s confusing.

May I ask which month you went? Hoping June has better weather so ports less likely to be changed.

Was the scenery amazing?
Dawn, as I said earlier, make sure you prebook the ‘silver service’ restaurants if you don’t want buffet.

Deb was well peed off when she found out that those in the know had booked restaurants as soon as bookings opened, and the only night they got to eat in the restaurant was on the last night. Sam Smith was singing and they had a table right by the stage - clearly other passengers weren’t fans of his! :rofl:

You’de think everyone booked on the ship would be able to get a table in the restaurant wouldn’t you!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I rarely take ship's organised excursions. The open top tour buses or even a local taxi excursion are my preference as then I can follow my own interests.

One can pre-plan an awful lot from home and be prepared.....

In Bergen we bought "Bergen Cards" which included entry into museums, public transport etc. For what we wanted to do well worth it.
Similar if the itinerary includes Oslo - all day transport card, which includes the ferry out to a small island(or two).

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Dawn, as I said earlier, make sure you prebook the ‘silver service’ restaurants if you don’t want buffet.

Deb was well peed off when she found out that those in the know had booked restaurants as soon as bookings opened, and the only night they got to eat in the restaurant was on the last night. Sam Smith was singing and they had a table right by the stage - clearly other passengers weren’t fans of his! :rofl:

You’de think everyone booked on the ship would be able to get a table in the restaurant wouldn’t you!

Silver Service restaurant and then somebody starts singing next to you, closing down the conversation?:(

Obviously one has to do a lot of research to avoid incidents like that.

Are there good quality cruise companies that do cruises without any entertainment and without children/youffs?

Nov 27, 2022
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 122
Exp
Since 1974
Blimey that’s a ringing endorsement 😳😱😂

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy the trip.

When you say tray, was that buffet dining? Did you eat in the main dining rooms with table service? There seem to be loads of restaurants, it’s confusing.

May I ask which month you went? Hoping June has better weather so ports less likely to be changed.

Was the scenery amazing?
We had a meal in one of the self-service restaurants, which cost extra basically the same food but served by a Filipino slave. Yes, the grab-a-tray was like your school days you grab a tray and get in line. I saw some veg once, but I was refused it as it was for display only. ( and I am not joking)

The views however three days in of fjords were amazing. The ship turning on a sixpence in a fjord was impressive. Excursions to see the Glacier which was absent as it has melted ( they were still selling excursions to this non-existent event) was generally disappointing and not worth the big money asked for them.

We went in June. Sorry if I am being so negative.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Silver Service restaurant and then somebody starts singing next to you, closing down the conversation?:(

Obviously one has to do a lot of research to avoid incidents like that.

Are there good quality cruise companies that do cruises without any entertainment and without children/youffs?
To be fair Deb and her sister wanted to see him, so she was happy!

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We went to the Fjords about ten years ago on the old Marco Polo. I can’t remember which cruise line it was,maybe Cruise & Maritime. Well worth the trip.
Anyway, my only strong recommendation is to go on the smallest boat you can find as you will then be taken to some of the more secluded places and smaller fjords. Some of those great big prison ships are awful and just not made for fjords.
We did this very cruise from Tilbury. C&M on the Marco Polo. Really enjoyable old style ship. Soon afterwards a passenger was killed in the restaurant by a freak wave and the ship was decommissioned.
Phil

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Do not miss a trip to the fjords, stunning. Take binoculars.
Go on ‘cruisemummy’ for reviews of which rooms to book, worth doing research , if you are a family with 2 rooms, book them on different sides of the ship, you can get the best views then

Nov 27, 2022
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 122
Exp
Since 1974
IMG_0925.jpeg
IMG_0935.jpeg
IMG_0926.jpeg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I took the Hurtigruten excursions, undoubtedly more expensive, for 2 reasons.
It was easiest
If there was a delay on an official excursion, the boat would wait. Not so on third party ones
I know some of the private taxi tours guarantee to have you back prior to sailing or will get you to the next port!!! Never been an issue for us although in Lisbon we did the open top bus but only managed 1 of the 3 routes. It was a bit like bingo as the commentary language switched channels as we went round. Great fun had by all!

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I know some of the private taxi tours guarantee to have you back prior to sailing or will get you to the next port!!! Never been an issue for us although in Lisbon we did the open top bus but only managed 1 of the 3 routes. It was a bit like bingo as the commentary language switched channels as we went round. Great fun had by all!
You tube ‘cruise ship pier runners’ for a laugh.

We always arrange our own excursions, they are often exactly the same as the cruise provided ones , but much cheaper. Also , you can avoid the hordes and do what you fancy, just set an alarm to return on time. Alternatively, stay on the ship, when everyone gets off, its like having your own superyacht!

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
You tube ‘cruise ship pier runners’ for a laugh.

We always arrange our own excursions, they are often exactly the same as the cruise provided ones , but much cheaper. Also , you can avoid the hordes and do what you fancy, just set an alarm to return on time. Alternatively, stay on the ship, when everyone gets off, its like having your own superyacht!
DSC_0051 (2).JPG
Certainly in Norway as elsewhere whenever you stop there are local excursion reps at port who will arrange the same as the ship bought ones at greatly reduced prices; they are well versed in the Cruise intinerary. Another vote for the open top trip buses, excellent value, other than Norway that is! Norway prices for everything are astonomical. However when so well catered for on ship why pay through the nose when ashore in Norway you certainly won't be hungry!! The Norway cruises have basically two common routes with different Fjiord itinararies. We have done one and will certainly do the alternative one next time and again with P and O Cruises. Balcony a must naturally. (and in case anyone is still unaware, nothing to do with the P and O Ferry Company)

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We did this very cruise from Tilbury. C&M on the Marco Polo. Really enjoyable old style ship. Soon afterwards a passenger was killed in the restaurant by a freak wave and the ship was decommissioned.
Phil

Is that the same 'Marco Polo' which was hijacked off Egypt decades ago and an American passenger in a wheelchair was murdered by them?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
When in Stavanger I was the only passenger on the open top bus!! A real treat, can't remember how much it was but haven't forgotten the experience of a personal tour guide and the ice cream stop in the park!!!

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Is that the same 'Marco Polo' which was hijacked off Egypt decades ago and an American passenger in a wheelchair was murdered by them?
I think so. C&M decommissioned it because it was looked upon as an unlucky ship. Originally it was smaller but they cut it in half and welded another section in the middle.
Phil

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I think so. C&M decommissioned it because it was looked upon as an unlucky ship. Originally it was smaller but they cut it in half and welded another section in the middle.
Phil
In fact the Marco Polo was a proper mini Ocean liner by todays standards; capeable of Baltic ice passages and surpassed it's expected working life having been built in 1965. On our Cunard Queen Elizabeth maiden trip to St Petersburgh many years back it was moored behind us and sadly looked like the QE's tender. However to the purist it was a proper Liner of old well laid up and a very capeable little ship in ice laden waters. Never sailed on it but wished I had!

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
In fact the Marco Polo was a proper mini Ocean liner by todays standards; capeable of Baltic ice passages and surpassed it's expected working life having been built in 1965. On our Cunard Queen Elizabeth maiden trip to St Petersburgh many years back it was moored behind us and sadly looked like the QE's tender. However to the purist it was a proper Liner of old well laid up and a very capeable little ship in ice laden waters. Never sailed on it but wished I had!
Yes,she started life as the Aleksandr Pushkin,and ended her life by being scrapped in India. A great little shop with a lot of character. I do recall that she was a bit wobbly on our crossing of the North Sea,and I took some comfort from the fact that she had been used in much worse conditions and survived. There’s quite a lot on Google about her.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Iona is a biggie. Prefer mid sized ones. Big enough for the entertainment/facilities but not too crowded. Did Baltic on Britannia last September - 65% full. Would haste being on it full. Standards have slipped too. Favourite is Cunard even if "a bit posh".

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
A lovely cruise but the one piece of advice I would give is make sure you are on deck very early in the morning as the ship tends to start entering the Fiords at first light and that part just near the entrance to the Fiord is very scenic and well worth getting up early for

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back