Oxford Campsite Closes Down (1 Viewer)

Apr 28, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2006
I have just seen that Oxford campsite has closed down. It was always a little bit basic, but was close to the town and had the park and ride right next door, plus a Go Outdoors, which has now shut as well.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The C&CC one? Stayed there years ago with the little caravan we had šŸ¤”
I have just seen that Oxford campsite has closed down. It was always a little bit basic, but was close to the town and had the park and ride right next door, plus a Go Outdoors, which has now shut as well.

OP
OP
DilltheDog
Apr 28, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2006
The C&CC one? Stayed there years ago with the little caravan we had šŸ¤”
Yep. Was a great location. Unfortunately we could t get on with our tag axle, but now we have got a smaller van wanted to go back there. Typical that it has just shut when we can actually use it now! I imagine it will be a housing estate soon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Apparently they sublet it from Go Outdoors who had the lease from Oxford CC. The head lease has run out and no one wanted to spend any money on the infrastructure. Summat like that anyway.
Plus the fact that it was built on an old, unstable landfill site that was slowly sinking.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
We have stayed there a couple of times, last year being the latest, it's a shame but I fear all of the sites near city centres will go the same way, the land is just too valuable. The temptation to free up a few million is just too great :(

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
It was a key develpment project for a friend who worked in the City Estates Dept. He will be gutted! Now there's nothing near to the city centre.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
City Councils have their beady eyes on such urban campsites for "brownfield" residential development. Soon to take place at baltic Wharf. Which popular campsite in a handy location for visiting a city will be next to close? Our needs always come second.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
City Councils have their beady eyes on such urban campsites for "brownfield" residential development. Soon to take place at baltic Wharf. Which popular campsite in a handy location for visiting a city will be next to close? Our needs always come second.
Talking to some dinghy sailors at Baltic Wharf who say that if the site is redeveloped into housing or other high rise they will lose a large part of their ā€˜windā€™ that blows from that direction.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Yes a shame it's gone. That said in the last couple of years of regular visits; we mostly stopped in the designated motorhome section of the Park and Ride opposite.

Looking for somewhere for next weekend ourselves near there, not sure if the rules have changed

IMG_1846.png

Presume you didnā€™t have any issues , looking on google earth it looks like mixed parking for lorries and any other high siders, when you last stopped were motorhomes given a specific area

IMG_1847.png

Bev is never keen to stop when it says we shouldnā€™t

chasper

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Ilfracombe, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SLS
Exp
When i had to go to the Nuffield hospital i used a site called GreenAcres in Horspath, it is not far from there. I had to join the Greener Camping Club which was Ā£12 for the year, they have about 160 other sites around the country. They take motorhomes and have electric and all the usual facilities. Might be useful for someone.A0A77782-9B81-4F08-BED7-7896BFD2376B.jpeg

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
As an aside, is this a thingā€¦?

"Eating, drinking, or sleeping in motor homes on site is not permitted. See parking charges and more
information."

So someone in a car canā€™t drink water from a bottle or have a sandwich or is it just discrimination against motorhomesā€¦šŸ¤”

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Looking for somewhere for next weekend ourselves near there, not sure if the rules have changed

View attachment 866407
Presume you didnā€™t have any issues , looking on google earth it looks like mixed parking for lorries and any other high siders, when you last stopped were motorhomes given a specific area

View attachment 866408

Bev is never keen to stop when it says we shouldnā€™t
24 hours Ā£8.10, cannot see anything that states overnight stops not allowed on their website, it looks ideal if you want a stopover, access to Oxford and do not want a pub carpark. It looks to be mixed parking as no directions to Motorhome specific spaces.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
There are a few THS and Club Meets listed at Abingdon Vale Cricket Club on the Out & About app if you're CCC members.
You can stay overnight in the carpark alongside the cricket club too.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As an aside, is this a thingā€¦?

"Eating, drinking, or sleeping in motor homes on site is not permitted. See parking charges and more
information."

So someone in a car canā€™t drink water from a bottle or have a sandwich or is it just discrimination against motorhomesā€¦šŸ¤”
And of course it won't apply to the lorries.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Is that Hales Meadow Car Park?
Yes. There were lots of motorhomes there when I was on a CCC rally last year.

It looks like parking is Ā£7 per 24 hours.

May 18, 2014
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation3
Exp
Since 2011
Not sure what CCC are upto they have closed their only site on the Isle of Wight - Adgestone!!!!?
I'm beginning to think they're getting like the other lot - have you seen their 'discounted' pricing and the dates when they are available for Members?

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
24 hours Ā£8.10, cannot see anything that states overnight stops not allowed on their website, it looks ideal if you want a stopover, access to Oxford and do not want a pub carpark. It looks to be mixed parking as no directions to Motorhome specific spaces.
Oooops! Can't see anything to say no overnighting apart from the bit that says '.... sleeping in motorhomes is not permitted ....' My bad doh :ROFLMAO:

Smokaijo

LIFE MEMBER
May 15, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 679
Exp
My partner & I are newbies and have a fully adapted motorhome for myself with my electric wheelchair
Yes, such a shame. I spent a lot of time there over the years - my son full-timed there for a while.

The next best site is Bridge Villa at Wallingford which is lovely but a 40 minute bus ride to Oxford.
I use this one as I had several appointments at Nuffield Orthopaedic and using the bus it was only 30 minutes away - went into to Wallingford for a wander and even went to Oxford for the Ashmoleon Museum - has best size accessible bathroom for my electric chair.
Would highly recommend this site šŸ˜ƒ

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I use this one as I had several appointments at Nuffield Orthopaedic and using the bus it was only 30 minutes away - went into to Wallingford for a wander and even went to Oxford for the Ashmoleon Museum - has best size accessible bathroom for my electric chair.
Would highly recommend this site šŸ˜ƒ
I can second that and the owners are very helpful

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
They are lovely. They allowed Adam to stay during lockdown so that he could still get into work.
They have a good approach to people who work fromm their van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back