Nov 15, 2023
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Globecar
Exp
Since 2019
Long story, trying to keep short.
120miles into journey, van goes into limp mode, no visible warnings on dashboard.
Cooling water reservoir empty, water everywhere. Cool down, top up from kettle. Limp into nearby dealership (lucky - maybe not!) Yes we can fix that!
Dealership diagnose thermostat, replace, still overheating, possibly waterpump, BTW £790 please.
Recovery: assessor has a look - turn engine on, turn on cab heater - no heat - 'It's your water pump gov'nr', all inside 60seconds.
Recovered back to Cornwall. Fixed at my favourite garage, yes, it was the water pump. Basic.
I am considering taking action against the dealership: They misdiagnosed the problem, carried out unnecessary work, and fabricated a bill of £790.

My question is; am I wrong is claiming they should have been able to properly diagnose the problem by use of the heater?
If they didn't know this, they should have known it. The basis being that no matter what the thermostat was doing the heater will still work, if the water pump had failed there would be no water circulating to reach the heater.
I have approached the dealership who refute my claims and request for refund (partial).

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
120miles into journey, van goes into limp mode, no visible warnings on dashboard.
Cooling water reservoir empty, water everywhere. Cool down, top up from kettle. Limp into nearby dealership (lucky - maybe not!) Yes we can fix that!
Dealership diagnose thermostat, replace, still overheating, possibly waterpump, BTW £790 please.
Recovery: assessor has a look - turn engine on, turn on cab heater - no heat - 'It's your water pump gov'nr', all inside 60seconds.
Recovered back to Cornwall. Fixed at my favourite garage, yes, it was the water pump. Basic.
I am considering taking action against the dealership: They misdiagnosed the problem, carried out unnecessary work, and fabricated a bill of £790.

My question is; am I wrong is claiming they should have been able to properly diagnose the problem by use of the heater?
If they didn't know this, they should have known it. The basis being that no matter what the thermostat was doing the heater will still work, if the water pump had failed there would be no water circulating to reach the heater.
I have approached the dealership who refute my claims and request for refund (partial).

Hard to tell. You tried to keep it short, but probably too short! I don't understand your timeline. Did the dealer do the work for £790?

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Welcome. :welcome3:

This is a difficult one, because the first dealership could legitimately claim they were acting to the best of their knowledge and expertise (lacking though it might be), in order to assist you.

You might want to find out if the dealership is a member of a trade association, and if so, approach them with a grievance. Alternately, if your vehicle insurance has the legal assistance package (which I always recommend having), you could approach them for help and advice.
I have used the latter a couple of times, to my benefit.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013

im guessing the thermostat is the cheapest of the 2 jobs and and as that had been replaced and assuming you told the recovery mechanic you had just had the thermostat done and water wasnt leaking everywhere he had a fairly easy job of diagnosing the water pump.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G
Nov 15, 2023
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Globecar
Exp
Since 2019
im guessing the thermostat is the cheapest of the 2 jobs and and as that had been replaced and assuming you told the recovery mechanic you had just had the thermostat done and water wasnt leaking everywhere he had a fairly easy job of diagnosing the water pump.
The recovery mechanic diagnosed it blind.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G
Nov 15, 2023
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Globecar
Exp
Since 2019
To put the conclusion up would only be fair.
The water pump was eventually replaced by the garage that had done the cambelt change as part of the 5year service about 5 months previously. What I didn't know at the time, is that the water pump comes as part of the kit. They replaced the water pump AND the cam belt again (because it's part of the kit/procedure) all under warranty.
I have used this garage since 1998, that have fought my corner several times with previous cars. River Valley, St Austell, if anybody passing needs a recommendation.

Upvote 0
Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
If an engine is low on water the heater will go cold first as the heater radiater is the highest part of the water system.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift 686
Exp
Escaping since 2012
The water pump was eventually replaced by the garage that had done the cambelt change as part of the 5year service about 5 months previously. What I didn't know at the time, is that the water pump comes as part of the kit. They replaced the water pump AND the cam belt again (because it's part of the kit/procedure) all under warranty.
I have used this garage since 1998, that have fought my corner several times with previous cars. River Valley, St Austell, if anybody passing needs a recommendation.
So was the water pump only 5 months old?

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

SOME kit's do come with a water pump and some kits DO NOT!

IF your vehicle is Fiat Ducato based, the waterpump is expected to last the life of the engine and shouldn't need changing UNLESS something is obviously wrong with it.
This was told me by a Fiat Professional mechanic which I trust and my X250 2007 66000ml Ducato is still on its original one. 🤔

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
The thermostat stuck shut would have been my first thought. It is common for the heater to stop working when a engine starts to overheat and push out coolant.

Re the water pump if you have a hunt through the various threads on here re cam belt changes just about everyone gets the water pump changed at the same time.

Or was a replaced newish water pump faulty ? in which case you may have a better chance though still not great chasing the manufacturer of the pump.

What was the £790 for ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift 686
Exp
Escaping since 2012
Or was it never changed when the cam belt was replaced ?

🤔
Hence why I asked. I have always changed mine even though they should last, I think the whole continental kit inc pump and aux belts was £230 (4 years ago). If it was changed 5 months prior I also wouldn't happy!

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Initial diagnosis of thermostat failure would suit the symptoms. Recovery guy fluked it if he could tell it was the pump after 60 seconds from a cold engine. £700+ for a thermostat is the right ballpark for rip off dealers

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
And fir info what was the price of Cam belt change plus water pump. ? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The thermostat stuck shut would have been my first thought.

Re the water pump if you have a hunt through the various threads on here re cam belt changes just about everyone gets the water pump changed at the same time.

What was the £790 for ?

Or is that just what they have been told happens?

I thought the practice of changing the water pump at the same time as the belt, went out years ago when it was just a few bolts behind the fan. Today on a Fiat +06, I'm told it involves dismantling most of the front of the engine and probably caused more problems with leaks etc. than it solves?

I always ask for the changed parts to be returned, has anyone had a waterpump returned? 🤔

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift 686
Exp
Escaping since 2012
Or is that just what they have been told happens?

I thought the practice of changing the water pump at the same time as the belt, went out years ago when it was just a few bolts behind the fan. Today on a Fiat +06, I'm told it involves dismantling most of the front of the engine and probably caused more problems with leaks etc. than it solves?

I always ask for the changed parts to be returned, has anyone had a waterpump returned? 🤔
The only hard bit about changing the water pump on my x250 (2013) was pressing out the fuel pump to put on the new housing. There is however a lot of dismantling of the offside engine bay to get at the Cam belt in the first place.

I am still undecided if I will change the water pump next year, it will all depend on the price, four years ago the continental cam belt and water pump kit was only £230ish so was a no brainer.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back