Open all year - not! (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2022
Oirschot, North Brabant, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2019
Touring in North Wales we have found a number of sites (too many!) on Park4night and sitesearch listed as open all year to be firmly closed. If you run a site or place a review please try not to mislead. Not everyone thinks the year only begins at 1st March, Easter or April. Though Gwynedd CC apparently do. We have been told by three sites now that their licence does not permit winter opening.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I wonder why licences do not allow all year? What on earth do councils worry about with that?
They don't want full time residents.

As that then means they need to charge them rates, and they can vote, and expect bins to be collected and of improve their caravan by fitting some foundations, and 3 bedrooms on the upper story.

By law you need to be able to give a permanent address that is not the camp site.
Hence many (most?) campsites not on a floodplain have an enforced period of at least a month when they are not permitted to have occupants.
(The floodplain sites have a different, random, form of ensuring you do not reside for too long!)

(Some turn a blind eye to the occupants during the empty period, but as far as the council is concerned they are only there 11 months of the year, so it's classed as a holiday home and not a full time residence.)

There was something the paper recently when a council in north Wales decided to enforce the rules, and a load of disgruntled 'residents' were told to sort out their own hotel for a month.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
They don't want full time residents.
As that then means they need to charge them rates, and they can vote, and expect bins to be collected and of improve their caravan by fitting some foundations, and 3 bedrooms on the upper story.

Hence many (most?) campsites not on a floodplain have an enforced period of at least a month when they are not permitted to have occupants.

(Some turn a blind eye to the occupants during the empty period, but as far as the council is concerned they are only there 11 months of the year, so it's classed as a holiday home and not a full time residence.)
The op is meaning touring sites not statics I think

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The op is meaning touring sites not statics I think
As far as most councils are concerned a caravan/motorhome/tent/static/hammock is a caravan.

They don't want residents, hence most sites have a closed period, or some way of ensuring that people are not long term residents (such as the occasional flood)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
I know some CAMC sites have changed from open all year to closed over winter, e.g. Durham. I was not happy with the CAMC because in some parts of the web site and app it said Durham was open all year but when I tried to book it for November, it wouldnā€™t let me.

When I complained, an arrogant person on the CAMC support desk tried to tell me it was clearly shown as closed before I sent him some screen shots of where it said it was open all year. Yet again, poor CAMC web site and app design means they have to make changes in multiple places instead of just once.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I've found a few that say open on park4night and s4s ring them up sorry we close in winter.
One farmer offered me the farmyard with leccy out of the kitchen window
But the gate was locked so he'd drive nearly 2 miles to open it.
I politely thanked him and said I'd see them in summer
I owe them a visit because of his kindness if nothing else

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
We have a permanent site. Open all year. But not for touring vans.
Some live on site. Some, like us, use it for weekends or extended stays.
Lovely site on a fishing lake and woods down to the river Avon. All private land. Idyllic.
Love it there and very happy to get back after our travels.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Some sites don't open all year as it's not worth them doing so, also if they want a full year licence it costs them more, just purely for tourers rather than a residential site. If the sums don't add up why would they open?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Touring in North Wales we have found a number of sites (too many!) on Park4night and sitesearch listed as open all year to be firmly closed. If you run a site or place a review please try not to mislead. Not everyone thinks the year only begins at 1st March, Easter or April. Though Gwynedd CC apparently do. We have been told by three sites now that their licence does not permit winter opening.
Both National Clubs have sites open all year if you are prepared to pay for them + if you know that you are going to need them, why not book them months ahead? šŸ¤”
I think one still has to vacate the sites every 20 odd days for a couple of days, but that can be planned for too. šŸ™‚

For spur of the moment booking, one has to expect disappointment sometimes.
There's always Motel chains šŸ˜„

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021

It is the app users that post the reviews and information not the sites.
Exactly this, Im assuming the OP has corrected park4night and S4S for all the ones he found closed??
But surely the campsite owners can monitor the App and correct the errors?
Probably, but I bet there are some that dont even know about the apps never mind the errors.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Anyone on sfs can submit a change of details even the OP after all these apps are only as good as the information on them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
S4S is rarely updated by the owner, hubby contacted him last year when he was deciding whether to buy the app and was told it wasn't actively monitored or checked ...

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
S4S is rarely updated by the owner, hubby contacted him last year when he was deciding whether to buy the app and was told it wasn't actively monitored or checked ...
We always update any sites we use if wrong and a lot of others do too. All the apps rely on public updating.

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
The cost of electric must be prohibitive too all year round opening.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The cost of electric must be prohibitive too all year round opening.
But surely, the electricity contract would still be running and it's only the use (which the camper will/should pay for) that will have a cost? šŸ¤”

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

I am sure many sites are not even aware they are on these independent apps or even aware of them!

One of my gripes is these apps are full of outdated information.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
I am sure many sites are not even aware they are on these independent apps or even aware of them!

That's why users need to update them as needed.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We always update any sites we use if wrong and a lot of others do too. All the apps rely on public updating.
Only on the reviews though, the main info provided by the app owner needs to be done by them.
Yes, S4S is very bad for some of the stops which are no longer available, as I said earlier the owner wasn't interested.
That's why users need to update them as needed.
But that's only the reviews, the basic info should be kept up to date by the app owner. We got fed up with S4S not being done.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Only on the reviews though, the main info provided by the app owner needs to be done by them.

Yes, S4S is very bad for some of the stops which are no longer available, as I said earlier the owner wasn't interested.

But that's only the reviews, the basic info should be kept up to date by the app owner. We got fed up with S4S not being done.
Actually anyone can update the information, it's not the app owner only. This is search for sites, not sure about park4 night as i rarely use.
on every listing on S4S you'll see an edit button beside the options for "add a photo" "add a review" etc. Click edit then fill in the form.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016

Minxy You are wrong, any user can submit an update to any stopover just use the edit button.
1000007781.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm not wrong, by 'the main info' I meant what sites are listed and which aren't and the app owner is the only one who can remove the actual parkings themselves. They can be amended etc by others as well as reviewed but that doesn't help the fact that some no longer exist etc and shouldn't be listed at all. It makes trying to find a place more hassle than it should be.

He's doesn't look at the reviews or edits people do much otherwise he would know that the listings need changing, all he wants is the cash from those joining but isn't willing to do much work for it unlike the P4N owner.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
I'm not wrong, by 'the main info' I meant what sites are listed and which aren't and the app owner is the only one who can remove the actual parkings themselves. They can be amended etc by others as well as reviewed but that doesn't help the fact that some no longer exist etc and shouldn't be listed at all. It makes trying to find a place more hassle than it should be.

He's doesn't look at the reviews or edits people do much otherwise he would know that the listings need changing, all he wants is the cash from those joining but isn't willing to do much work for it unlike the P4N owner.
Yes so if its no longer active you submit a change to have it removed. And uts actually free unless you want the app.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes so if its no longer active you submit a change to have it removed. And uts actually free unless you want the app.
You may submit the form but have you ever checked afterwards to see if it's been amended or removed?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back