On the Road Again ! Poland - Slowakia - Austria - Italy - Greece........and back. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
At last we have got away for first time since November last. Trip earlier in year was cancelled because if illness in the family.

We left home in Katowice this morning, crossed into Slowakia and are now parked up in our familiar spot in Trencin by the river and thankfully in the shade.

Dinner on board this evening then off to Austria tomorrow to another favourite spot and a favourite restaurant.

We will post from time to time.

Geoff and Basia

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Have a wonderful trip, looking forward to sharing it here with you. I enjoy any food picsā€¦.and dogsā€¦..just saying šŸ˜‚

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Sorry to folks who requested photos.

We have no way of transferring Basia's phone photos to my laptop.
And you have your own private IT consultant so don't make excuses! It's dead easy! Just plug it in with a usb cable or if you can't manage that get her to email them to whatever address you can access on your laptop and if you can't manage that email them to me and I'll post them! šŸ˜ Won't charge you much.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Not a lot to report - how does one male a 1,450km journey, mostly on M/Way sound interesting? Westopped at a few favourite restaurants and known wild spots.

Only points of note were:-

First toll in Italy just to collect ticket was 1 km queue, very slow then our line speeded up, because an attendant stood out handing out tickets which drivers collected at a crawl, but faster than stopping at the machine = man versus technology!

We skipped a couple of our usual boring stops, so we were ahead of schedule for ferry booking so between Bologna and Ancona decided to ''head for the hills'. One interesting, for me, road and terrifying for Basia, had about 20 landslips on it.

We safely arrived in Rocca San Casciano. Pretty little town with Aire next to river completely shaded by trees, toilets, sinks and a primitive but usable cassette and grey water drain.
Moreover, we sought a Trattoria, the lights were out but there was an open door with a light. We wandered in, up the stairs, a man appeared behind us shouting. We expected to be evicted, but no. He was shouting to his wife to turn on the lights.

It was a real family Trattoria, where she made everything from local ingredients - bellisimo.. We were their only customers so after we ate they sat with us and we chatted in two broken languages. A great evening. We felt that we were in the 'Real' Italy.

Next day we stopped for two days at a favourite stop with god restaurant but more formal. Cassette dump was not working, but later in morning notice appeared to say dump in grey water and wash well.

Left there with all services done .Ferry crossing normal.

Arrive Patras. Our Satnav, which had operated fine from Poland refused to open in Greece. Reverted to P4N and Google Maps.

First pick was horrendous - cars parked 1/2 km before and after 3 tavernas, next no good either, move to third.

SERENDIPITY. Park at back of small park with pine and tamarisk trees for shade, 25m from beach and seafood restaurant, which was good value, because they had their own pots down below buoys just 100m offshore. Beach shower, but slippery stone entry for swimming - we did not care we had arrived for first night in Greece this year and found good spot and food. We stayed two nights.

We are now at another favourite spot, on a bay with lots of yachts and other boats to watch coming and going. I came here with my own sailing boat some 30 years ago.

Tomorrow we head off to meet that same boat and my long-term friend who is its new owner. Three day's chats needed so next episode will be a while away.

Geoff and Basia

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Glad you arrived safe in Greece Geoff. Much of Italy sounds boring though. I think if I was going to do it I might go from Venice. Enjoy Greece and seeing the old boat and pal.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Not a lot to report - how does one male a 1,450km journey, mostly on M/Way sound interesting? Westopped at a few favourite restaurants and known wild spots.

Only points of note were:-

First toll in Italy just to collect ticket was 1 km queue, very slow then our line speeded up, because an attendant stood out handing out tickets which drivers collected at a crawl, but faster than stopping at the machine = man versus technology!

We skipped a couple of our usual boring stops, so we were ahead of schedule for ferry booking so between Bologna and Ancona decided to ''head for the hills'. One interesting, for me, road and terrifying for Basia, had about 20 landslips on it.

We safely arrived in Rocca San Casciano. Pretty little town with Aire next to river completely shaded by trees, toilets, sinks and a primitive but usable cassette and grey water drain.
Moreover, we sought a Trattoria, the lights were out but there was an open door with a light. We wandered in, up the stairs, a man appeared behind us shouting. We expected to be evicted, but no. He was shouting to his wife to turn on the lights.

It was a real family Trattoria, where she made everything from local ingredients - bellisimo.. We were their only customers so after we ate they sat with us and we chatted in two broken languages. A great evening. We felt that we were in the 'Real' Italy.

Next day we stopped for two days at a favourite stop with god restaurant but more formal. Cassette dump was not working, but later in morning notice appeared to say dump in grey water and wash well.

Left there with all services done .Ferry crossing normal.

Arrive Patras. Our Satnav, which had operated fine from Poland refused to open in Greece. Reverted to P4N and Google Maps.

First pick was horrendous - cars parked 1/2 km before and after 3 tavernas, next no good either, move to third.

SERENDIPITY. Park at back of small park with pine and tamarisk trees for shade, 25m from beach and seafood restaurant, which was good value, because they had their own pots down below buoys just 100m offshore. Beach shower, but slippery stone entry for swimming - we did not care we had arrived for first night in Greece this year and found good spot and food. We stayed two nights.

We are now at another favourite spot, on a bay with lots of yachts and other boats to watch coming and going. I came here with my own sailing boat some 30 years ago.

Tomorrow we head off to meet that same boat and my long-term friend who is its new owner. Three day's chats needed so next episode will be a while away.

Geoff and Basia
Do you have the location for the small park near the seafood restaurant please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Small update.

We arrived on Thur 29th in Kilada where my old boat is moored off, under the new management of a 20-year friend.

Today I helped him prepare for lifting it out, luckily just before the thunder cloud wind came. The Gods were flashing and farting all morning but have gone for siesta now, but we had drops of rain and it is cloudy.

This place is half shut up even before end of August. Only one decent taverna open. Water in bay is filthy so no swimming.We would not come here again but very good shipyard with 100-ton travel-lift.

That's it.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The last few days have been like the 'Curate's Egg' -good in parts.

Wednsday raised its ugly head with the news that an offer has been made to sell the building we live in 'over our heads'. Not god news 3 weeks into a thirteen week trip. Basis wants to delay doing anything until we return. I as a lawyer, know we have to take action yo protect certain interests.

However the next day brought another dose of Serendipity, when we arrived in a small port, very picturesque and with a good taverna. We stayed two days. Then a tortuous bendy journey up to a 1150m mountain village, where we ran into their annual religious festival and local council election on the same evening.

Drop down off the mountain to the sea was a much easier road. Now parked behind a beach taverna, with good welcome and facilities. Taverna at normal Greek prices, everything else free.

Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
The last few days have been like the 'Curate's Egg' -good in parts.

Wednsday raised its ugly head with the news that an offer has been made to sell the building we live in 'over our heads'. Not god news 3 weeks into a thirteen week trip. Basis wants to delay doing anything until we return. I as a lawyer, know we have to take action yo protect certain interests.

However the next day brought another dose of Serendipity, when we arrived in a small port, very picturesque and with a good taverna. We stayed two days. Then a tortuous bendy journey up to a 1150m mountain village, where we ran into their annual religious festival and local council election on the same evening.

Drop down off the mountain to the sea was a much easier road. Now parked behind a beach taverna, with good welcome and facilities. Taverna at normal Greek prices, everything else free.

Bit of a bugger Geoff. Im sure you wont let it spoil your trip but I kind of agree with you. Best keep on top of it.

Those mountain roads should be nothing to the man who drove up Watendlath and the Cirque d'EstaubƩ Goat tracks. :D

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Bit of a bugger Geoff. Im sure you wont let it spoil your trip but I kind of agree with you. Best keep on top of it.

Those mountain roads should be nothing to the man who drove up Watendlath and the Cirque d'EstaubƩ Goat tracks. :D

Well within my capabilities but outside my tedium level.

I did get accolades from my passenger/ex-driving instructor for safety and her relaxation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back