Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
Pretty much got the hang of it now!
Hi Wise ones.
I have a Thule drop-down Omnistep on my Merc based Autotrail Dakota SE 2003 vintage. The relay for it (and the 12v fridge supply relay) are cable tied to the heating duct inlet (nice bit of wiring design guys cheers!) under bonnet just above the battery. The step relay keeps burning out after a few months but just having looked at the wiring diagram for the replacement from Jacksons Leisure, it shows the relay is a 5-pin (based on a Ducato I suspect) whereas mine is just a 4-pin and the 5-pin wiring diagram shows a 2200 microfarrad capacitor across the 85 and 86 pins. My step relay has never had that fitted ever since I got the rig. I have ordered some capacitors so I can fit one as it seems essential. This would reduce any voltage surge and arcing etc which I think is destroying the relays and burning terminal 30 and melting the relay holder around pin 30.
Any ideas or advice most welcome.

Cheers

Paul

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Pin 30 needs to be a tighter fit, there's a voltage drop causing heat. You can maybe pinch it up with nong nose pliers but the heat might have annealed the metal, I'd fit a new socket too. Don't think a capacitor across the coil will make much difference 🤔

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
The Thule wiring diagram does show the capacitor fitted on the auto version but not on fig.6
IMG_0304.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Nov 25, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
AT Dakota SE - Merc
Exp
Pretty much got the hang of it now!
Hi Gerry and Richard
Thanks for that. I have just fitted a new socket and my step has automatic retraction so figure 7 is the appropriate diagram I think but no pin 5. I'll try the capacitor connection but your advice is much appreciated. Time will tell I think!
Cheers
Paul

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back