Old Sikaflex Removal (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
So, what’s the best stuff to get the lumps of old sikaflex off your vans roof then?
I’m currently in the process of chiseling the old panels off but there’s gonna be lumps still stuck to the roof. Any ideas what’s the best stuff to get it off with?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
A blade and petrol/brake cleaner is my go to stuff.

Jul 26, 2019
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
McLoius Fusion
Exp
Since 2019
You can buy a trim removal kit from eBay for around £5. It will include something like a plastic chisel. Less likely to damage your roof

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Whatever you do, it needs to be slow and careful. It will be time consuming.

The proper Sika type adhesives are expected to be resistant to most solvents. This means you will have to remove by mechanical means, i.e. elbow grease.

Be careful with metallic blades. All too easy to dig into the surface under the adhesive and thus damage paintwork or other finishes you wanted to leave intact. A powered multi tool will be particularly dangerous as it's not easy to control.

I found best method of removal was to get a windscreen type cutting wire and carefully use that to cut through the adhesive between any bracket and roofs. Following that it was a time consuming effort to gradually cut away using old plastic credit and similar cards which for a little while until blunted could also slightly saw or knife into the adhesive.

May 3, 2021
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Alto 2013
Exp
Since 2021
I don’t know whether what stuck down our old panels was actually Sika or just something similar, but after removing most of the first spot with a knife blade, with a small amount of damage to the paintwork, I thought I’d at least try the Screwfix silicone remover - it did soften what was there and make it much easier to remove. No damage at all on the other three pads.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012

Warm it with a hairdryer and use one of these........ gently!

Terry

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
HG sticker remover

I don't know what is in it (and probably do not want to know) because it stinks to high heaven but worked recently for me after everything else (including brake cleaner) failed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I thought I’d at least try the Screwfix silicone remover - it did soften what was there and make it much easier to remove. No damage at all on the other three pads.
I found that softened it a little, I kept applying and scraping away with a blunt chisel it took hours.

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Well I’ve discovered that a plastic car trim removal set is perfect for the job! (y) No damaged paintwork either.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back