Oh no!! (1 Viewer)

Mar 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Totally new to motor homing - but very eager to learn! :)
Happily loaded my bike on to the back of my Accordo 105 for my year's trip to Europe today... Got to the tunnel to discover the handle bar punched a small(ish) hole right through to the inside. Moved the bike from the inside groove to the outside one and tied it down. I've put a plaster over the outside to stop any rain getting in. Only thing I have at the moment...

Is there a quick fix I can do to keep it from letting in any damp and also to stop it from getting worse??

OP
OP
Jacqo
Mar 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Thank you! I'll search the local area when I get southeast of Paris when I stop tomorrow afternoon.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jacqo
Mar 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
For the sake of carrying a spanner or Allen key to fit the front fork pivot it would be better to turn the handlebar 90° while on the rack.
Takes seconds to retighten.
Aaaahhh! Never thought of that! I just put the bike on. Put a piece of sponge between the handlebar and mh to stop it marking and thought it was 'job done'. Boy was I wrong!! First time having a bike rack and mh and putting bike on said mh!! It's a heavy burger I can tell ya! I did buy an assortment of Allen keys so I'll give that a try.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You can get that sort of heavy duty tape in any large supermarket that has a diy section. Most out of town Carrefour, Auchan, E LeClerc etc. using your sat nav or google maps set your directions as usual then use the “search along route” facility to find an easy to reach supermarket.
You said your bike is really heavy, is it electric? Make sure you take the battery off and store inside.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jacqo
Mar 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
You can get that sort of heavy duty tape in any large supermarket that has a diy section. Most out of town Carrefour, Auchan, E LeClerc etc. using your sat nav or google maps set your directions as usual then use the “search along route” facility to find an easy to reach supermarket.
You said your bike is really heavy, is it electric? Make sure you take the battery off and store inside.
yes, thanks.. it is battery. I did take it off before lifting it on to the rack. Don't think I would have been able to otherwise! :cycle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Do you not have either of the two arrowed frame steadies on your bike rack to hold the top of the bike frame in place?

1715113331468.png

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
yes, thanks.. it is battery. I did take it off before lifting it on to the rack. Don't think I would have been able to otherwise! :cycle:
My bike wears socks on the peddles and if its carrying 2 bikes (rarely) socks on the handlebars
It helps to protect both the van and the cover

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I have detachable peddles but for the new bike today I fitted folding peddles.
Got lightweight everything on mine so socks best option anything else makes it a heavier lift đź’Ş

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Happily loaded my bike on to the back of my Accordo 105 for my year's trip to Europe today... Got to the tunnel to discover the handle bar punched a small(ish) hole right through to the inside. Moved the bike from the inside groove to the outside one and tied it down. I've put a plaster over the outside to stop any rain getting in. Only thing I have at the moment...

Is there a quick fix I can do to keep it from letting in any damp and also to stop it from getting worse??
Did similar with Johns cycle, not right through fortunately, had gaffer tape over in all the torrential rain we had, it is being taken off in next couple of days for fixing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jacqo
Mar 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Did similar with Johns cycle, not right through fortunately, had gaffer tape over in all the torrential rain we had, it is being taken off in next couple of days for fixing.
Glad to know I'm not the only one!! I do have the two steadies as mentioned above but was not shown how to put the bike on. One fits okay but it's a 'girls' bike so the larger steady couldn't be attached very well. I did take it off and and fit it where I thought it was secure but ... apparently not.. Having only had the MH two weeks, it grieves me to think I've devalued it before I even set off on my travels. Oh well.. things happen as they say and if it stays intact and dry until I get back next year, then I'll be very happy. Apart from that I'm having a great time - don't want to be a downer.:( ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Don't worry too much about it, as what's done is done, and it's going to be repairable without too much fuss.
Within a couple of weeks of getting our van a step ladder blew over in a freak gust of wind putting a 6 inch long dent down our hab door and a small hole in the side, and I'm sure that they could have heard my scream over 20 miles away.
Hope the rest of your travels are incident free and fun. (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back