Bart

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
As a point of interest what motorhome do you have at present?

Your profile doesn’t say.
Bessacarr E560, thinking on changing for the following reasons, in order.
1. Age as its 2007
2. Fixed bed is a must for us and currently we have a super one but at the expense of the lounge, solution the 79-6 has a drop down fixed bed.
3. Length of lounge seats so you can relax properly.
4. Bigger storage area to fit the likes of a camping washing machine and anything else long.

Reactions: Btg
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Yes Hagans. Check there website.
Yip just checked it and no supprise 4k dearer than in the UK. But suppose on Monday I will phone them and see what they could offer.

Dazzler1969

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
S&L Atlanta PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Bart,
I have one I’m currently looking to trade in! 1700 miles and 18 plate. It reallly is a beast of a Motorhome but a pleasure to drive. The reason for change is wife won’t drive it cause of length and width and we visit Devon and Cornwall most months due to family living there and navigating around the lanes are a little tricky.
If you have any questions just ask.
Darren

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
The main problem I had though was the width of the damn things! Despite my best efforts as a newbie I dreaded narrow lanes or detours, getting on and off ferries or maneuvering in confined spaces. The new model Baileys are even wider!!
Hi thanks for the info, I have checked our current mh which is listed as 2.35mtrs wide with the 79-6 Autograph being listed as 2.48mtrs wide, so 13 cms wider, not a lot but enough to cause an accident in the wrong place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Wait for the comments from non Bailey owners!:rolleyes:
Speaking as an ex-Bailey owner, I’d advise extreme caution; we loved the layout on a 2013 Approach 740. The width is an issue on some roads, sure, but the space inside is a real bonus. But the quality issues are another matter. From the responses from happy owners already posted, you’ll see that some people are very happy with the quality. But a careful search through this and other forums will show that others are very unhappy indeed. We were in the latter camp, with some major problems - van went back to Bailey for damp work, door fell off within first week, etc etc etc. We were happy with our dealers (Bardsea at Ulverston - we were not impressed with the approach of Dumfries Caravans, even though they were closer.) If you do go for the Bailey, I think you should look for a dealer easy to access who you feel confident with.

Suffice to say we traded ours in long before the water ingress warranty ran out!

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Bart,
I have one I’m currently looking to trade in! 1700 miles and 18 plate. It reallly is a beast of a Motorhome but a pleasure to drive. The reason for change is wife won’t drive it cause of length and width and we visit Devon and Cornwall most months due to family living there and navigating around the lanes are a little tricky.
If you have any questions just ask.
Darren
Thanks Darren, what mh's have you had in the past size wise ? Just so I can get an idea of what your idea of a beast is, our current mh is 13cm narrower that the 79-6 Autograph BUT and an important BUT could be the fact that our current is 7.04 mtrs with the 79-6 Autograph being 7.98 mtrs, so nearly 1mtr longer.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Apparently Baileys are not made by Swift but the message is the same.
Sorry for any confusion (n)

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Speaking as an ex-Bailey owner, I’d advise extreme caution; we loved the layout on a 2013 Approach 740. The width is an issue on some roads, sure, but the space inside is a real bonus. But the quality issues are another matter. From the responses from happy owners already posted, you’ll see that some people are very happy with the quality. But a careful search through this and other forums will show that others are very unhappy indeed. We were in the latter camp, with some major problems - van went back to Bailey for damp work, door fell off within first week, etc etc etc. We were happy with our dealers (Bardsea at Ulverston - we were not impressed with the approach of Dumfries Caravans, even though they were closer.) If you do go for the Bailey, I think you should look for a dealer easy to access who you feel confident with.

Suffice to say we traded ours in long before the water ingress warranty ran out!
Thanks for the feedback, was this your first and Obv last Bailey

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
@sonny so you knock a motorhome before you even know who makes it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Bessacarr E560, thinking on changing for the following reasons, in order.
1. Age as its 2007
2. Fixed bed is a must for us and currently we have a super one but at the expense of the lounge, solution the 79-6 has a drop down fixed bed.
3. Length of lounge seats so you can relax properly.
4. Bigger storage area to fit the likes of a camping washing machine and anything else long.
Sounds good.

Hope you find something to fit your requirements (although a washing machine sounds a teeny bit excessive).;)

For us any motorhome has to have an easily accessible bed as Mrs Maison has some mobility issues. Ladders or narrow steps are a definite no.

Each to their own, and there are suitable units for us all out there. It’s just a matter of finding them.

Our third motorhome was the first we were really happy with. Since then we have changed our needs as we have grown older. (I prefer to say matured). Hence our downsizing to a PVC at the last change.

Dazzler1969

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
S&L Atlanta PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks Darren, what mh's have you had in the past size wise ? Just so I can get an idea of what your idea of a beast is, our current mh is 13cm narrower that the 79-6 Autograph BUT and an important BUT could be the fact that our current is 7.04 mtrs with the 79-6 Autograph being 7.98 mtrs, so nearly 1mtr longer.
Bart, it’s not so much the width for me more the fact we like to explore in more detail around and don’t like the restrictions that getting something 8m long and 8ft wide around narrow lanes. If I had a toad it wouldn’t be a problem or if I did more of Europe where they are better prepared.
I want to park as near possible in a car park with some overhang, plus my daughter doesn’t come any longer so 6 birth is too big! It is only a couple of inches bigger but you do need to be wary as to the mirrors I think it’s 9’6.
As for quality I find it no better or worse than other makes, I have had 2 new locker doors due to not being fitted correctly and a new sunroof seal because of wind noise.
Sorry Bart almost forgot....... never had MH before only caravans and I used to drive 7.5t lorry! But not around stone wall lanes in a vehicle I had just personally paid 60k for
Darren

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
It is only a couple of inches bigger but you do need to be wary as to the mirrors I think it’s 9’6.
Interesting that,, so the measurements that are in the literature are for the width of the habitation shell I take it ?? As I know the wingmirrors are like jumbo ears on our current MH and stick out wider that the habitation part, ( as they need to so they can see the sides of the mh )
Another point of interest is there any difference in the Total width ( Inc mirrors) between the Fiat cab and the Peugeot cab does anyone know ?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Interesting that,, so the measurements that are in the literature are for the width of the habitation shell I take it ?? As I know the wingmirrors are like jumbo ears on our current MH and stick out wider that the habitation part, ( as they need to so they can see the sides of the mh )
Another point of interest is there any difference in the Total width ( Inc mirrors) between the Fiat cab and the Peugeot cab does anyone know ?
Fiat and Peugeot cabs are the same width.

But as others have mentioned, the body of the Bailey is much wider than the standard European coachbuilt. So whilst more living space, more restricted when exploring small villages, country lanes and parking.

After two standard-width coachbuilts (230cm), we now have a van conversion (2.05m), which works better for us.

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have bought and sold loads of bailey caravans over the years and can honestly say the build quality took a nose dive a few years back. The directors of baileys actually used their vans, but times got tough and its money that runs the company now, not enthusiasm for their products. there were some huge design disasters like the roof trim above the cab filling with water that shot out as you drove off, roof windows that howled at speed because too small a rubber was used to install it. Inside the build quality of production vehicles is poor compared to more expensive vans. having said all that, if you get a good one, they are pretty robust with less water ingress issues than swift/bessacar or watertrail
Finding a good dealer who will deal quickly with warranty issues is critical. The running gear and base van can be serviced by your local fiat or peugeot commercial dealership. But most dealers will not want to do warranty work on a van they didn't sell. warranty work is paid for below cost price in many cases by the converter and the cost is built into the sale price

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
79-6 is a beautiful van , It was number 1 on my list BUT talk on the forum’s seemed to highlight quality issues with a lot of British made vans
SO I ended up buying from the Hymer group , very glad I did

I Also bought mine from a dealer 400 miles away (pullingers)
As I felt they were far more honest & knowledgeable than my local dealer

Best wishes which ever way you go

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Being on camper chassis with a long rear overhang beware grounding the back end

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
They do however boast Alde heating as standard , not so on Hymer

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
We originally were set on buying a Bailey 79-4 but decided against it due to two things:
  • The low overhang at the rear which would have caused issues at our old house.
  • The small payload once a passenger, fuel, gas and some water had been included
The width didnt bother me having whizzed around Cornwall and Devon in a Bailey hire motorhome, but then again, I am used to twisty single track roads.

As for quality; Bailey are clearly not the Gold Standard, but I quickly learnt that many of the comments on forums about various brands are made by people who have never owned or even been in one!

If you like it, thats all that matters in my opinion. (y)

M-J

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
We looked at bailey for our first MH, used and new but research soon put us off with so many bad experiences on the newer models along with size and payload issues.

I also ended up disliking the caravan looking profile they have.

I think the prices that new ones can be purchased for tells you something too. Buy cheap, buy twice

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey
I have a 79-6, 2017, IT does have a few problems, Wrong rubber on front roof window causes whistling when over 45mph, (replaced by Bailey) Water fill, sink drain and draining of grey waste is slow due to small bore pipes. Dodgy seats in the dinette slide off, have to be gentle with the woodwork as it dents easily. It is low down to the ground, I have grounded under the drivers cab and at the rear. I now take more care!The internal lights are odd but a couple of on/off switches soon fix that.
However it has great heating, large Fridge with a good size Freezer, Microwave, Oven ,three gas rings and an electric ring, plenty of cupboard space. Plenty of room to roll around in and good pay load (Cat C D/L) The 160 bhp engine is plenty powerful and the stability with the AL CO chassis is good.
Value for money....definitely. Love mine.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi thanks for the info, I have checked our current mh which is listed as 2.35mtrs wide with the 79-6 Autograph being listed as 2.48mtrs wide, so 13 cms wider, not a lot but enough to cause an accident in the wrong place.
Having a look at the Bailey measurements again I think they've done it in a non-standard way as most do it without including the mirrors in the width figure (either open or folded in) so AFAICT it is still 2.35m the same as your current MH, easiest way to check is to take a tape measure with you!

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
We have the 75-2.
No issues yet with build quality.
There is one big design fault though.
When you hit a bump in the road if it's hard enough it opens the overhead lockers. We packed the edges out with foam pads which has stopped this.
Yes its wide. Theres no getting around the fact.
I was dreading our first trip out even considered cancelling the order.
Now it's natural it makes you a bit more aware of the road your on but as of yet no issues.
We bought mirror guards which make it look even wider to on coming traffic and tbh we get given the right of way a lot more than we did in the elddis.
The water filling system is a faf as you will need a water hog and whale external water pump for refills on site as a watering can wont work.
Any question just ask

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Having a look at the Bailey measurements again I think they've done it in a non-standard way as most do it without including the mirrors in the width figure (either open or folded in) so AFAICT it is still 2.35m the same as your current MH, easiest way to check is to take a tape measure with you!
I always thought it was body width actually, at the mirrors would be more than that.

Martin

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Having read through this thread to date I cannot imagine the comments would be the same on a good German manufacturer' owners' forum, certainly not our Niesmann&Bischoff one.

For example people swapping MHs not long after purchase. I and at least one other Member of our quite small forum bought our N&B models as first MHs secondand about 9 years ago - ours is now 15 years old and only had minor spares(plastic bits in fridge, door hinge, oil pressure transmitter)

I do not know what Bailey are selling their MHs for, but we bought our Arto(2003) at 6 years old with 16,000 miles for £27,500. Another member has just bought the same model one year younger(2004) 40,000 miles for £25,000.

I seriously urge the OP and any others to consider good quality secondhand compared to what some owners consider dubious qualty at new prices.

Swapping MHs after a few years is a mug's game.

Geoff

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Swapping MHs after a few years is a mug's game.

We swapped our last one at 2yrs old.
Lost 800 quid in 2 years.
Some tough negotiations on the bailey got us another 500 off after the first and second round of negotiations and free bedding set, alarm system and they come with an avtex TV.
If we get the same deal next year.
Bye bye Bailey.
Would we buy another bailey yes.
79-4t.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back