Oh dear, how sad, never mind. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Campsite owners up in arms as Scottish council let motorhomes park up for £40 a week.
Best idea iv heard for a long time, maybe campsites will have to look to their prices now.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Campsite owners up in arms as Scottish council let motorhomes park up for £40 a week.
Best idea iv heard for a long time, maybe campsites will have to look to their prices now.

Probably no facilities offered.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Sounds good to me. I’d pay it. I would stay on campsites as well depending on needs at the time. Years ago Suffolk did a weekly ticket called Suffolk coastal car parks for £10 Great value but it seems to have disappeared since Covid
Phil

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I posted about this the other week , the campsites are raising a petition and a legal Challenge claiming its illegal.

So it probably won't last 😕

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Sounds good to me. I’d pay it. I would stay on campsites as well depending on needs at the time. Years ago Suffolk did a weekly ticket called Suffolk coastal car parks for £10 Great value but it seems to have disappeared since Covid
Phil
Probably when Suffolk Coastal and Waveney councils merged to form East Suffolk council in 2019 IIRC. The new combined council is much keener to fleece the motorist IMHO.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
I posted about this the other week , the campsites are raising a petition and a legal Challenge claiming its illegal.

So it probably won't last 😕
Why illegal?
Surely, just competition to the campsite owners.
Unless of course the campsite owners have to pay for a licence to operate TO the council, and the council are now trying to be both poacher AND gamekeeper.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The campsite owners are complaining that they have to implement the 6 meter rule but a carpark doesn't. They don't seem to understand how a carpark works and obviously have no idea about aires in Europe etc. The chief instigator is that cow from Dornoch holiday park who is always complaining trying to justify their overpriced campsite.

I sincerely hope Highland Council doesn't back down. But I imagine they could do with more supporting comments and emails from motorhomers than they've got so far.

The camping and caravan act 1960 needs revamped to at least one in the right century

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Why illegal?
Surely, just competition to the campsite owners.
Unless of course the campsite owners have to pay for a licence to operate TO the council, and the council are now trying to be both poacher AND gamekeeper.
It says in the article.. some mp is backing them on it too saying it breaks health and safety etc.

Grasping at straws .. Next will be claims of black waste dumped in the carparks that usually works

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'd love to see this woman put out of business

Screenshot_20240728_215639_Chrome.jpg

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I’m not aware of any car parks in Derby that have water and waste; how about Southampton?

They’re car parks that permit overnight stays. 🤷‍♂️

Ian

Canterbury New Dover Rd, permit overnight parking and provide black/grey water discharge and fresh water, all in the price of £8 per night, or £4 for a day stop. All hard standing and open 24/7 all year not a few months. and not £24pn mid-Sept on grass.

PLUS free bus into the City for 6 persons

Can somebody in N of Scotland have that printed out and either pinned on Dornoch Campsite fence, or even stuffed up Lynn Redfern's.............. 'Cash machine'.

Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
A "Sun Tagline-Comment" in the article (about halfway down in Bold) .....

"It has lead to car parks being overflown with campervans and caravans"

Aah! ... They're probably a Squadron of heavily loaded campers on their way to a bombing raid over Germany or Russia ..... Like Jim was talking about in another thread :LOL: >>>>>

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
when we were in norfolk 3 years ago we were near waxham sands site so thought we would stop for a night,did not want hook up just park in a field for the night,there was loads of space. they said 2 nights minimum at £33 per night so we left and found a community pub which allowed overnight in car park, had 2 meals and drinks for £42

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Always be wary of those with land and vested interests. They will ensure you are fleeced to maintain the status quo.

Councils are here to serve the community, vans are much more popular than they were and lots of councils are moving towards providing facilities for them to legally park.

Hope the Highland Council tell them to get stuffed.

Always makes me laugh when people drop back to Health and Safety laws, happens when you have no other excuse and are clutching at straws. When they say because of Health and Safety, they always mean because I don’t want you to and have no reasonable reason.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Always be wary of those with land and vested interests. They will ensure you are fleeced to maintain the status quo.

Councils are here to serve the community, vans are much more popular than they were and lots of councils are moving towards providing facilities for them to legally park.

Hope the Highland Council tell them to get stuffed.

Always makes me laugh when people drop back to Health and Safety laws, happens when you have no other excuse and are clutching at straws. When they say because of Health and Safety, they always mean because I don’t want you to and have no reasonable reason.
Exactly. That particular campsite owner has stated many times that she believes motorhomes and campers should be FORCED to use campsites and supports a UK wide ban on campers parking off site. It's her and her husband that rounded up the other campsite owners to join forces. She was doing Exactly the Same thing when the forestry commission started the stay the night scheme.

I've no doubt that campsites do have to stick to rules set out for them but it's those rules and the outdated caravan act that needs changed to accommodate motorhomes better. Their prices are ridiculous

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I’m not aware of any car parks in Derby that have water and waste; how about Southampton?

They’re car parks that permit overnight stays. 🤷‍♂️

Ian
I try not to go to Southampton for holidays but I believe some in Scotland do from reports I have noticed.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I know nothing about Scots law but under English law, it is difficult to see how the campsite owners who are resorting to going to law, will succeed. Local authorities, who operate the car-parks concerned owe no duty of care to campsite owners and certainly not to guarantee them a profit or other commercial considerations.
What is being offered by car-parks and campsites is completely different; as other have pointed out, with merit, in my view, people who want campsites are unlikely to use car-parks and vice versa.
It’s a matter for local authorities to ascertain whether running the proposed scheme is within their power and prescribed criteria or not. They shouldn’t just abandon such schemes on the pressure by campsite owners who are voting with their wallets.
I await developments with interest.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
In those places that you do go for holidays, have you found the car parks well equipped?

Ian
I always use campsites!
I have noticed on reports of toilets and even showers on some local authority car parks in Scotland.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I have noticed on reports of toilets and even showers on some local authority car parks in Scotland.

That’s a new one on me, I shall keep my eyes peeled.👍

There’s one, or two, community run ‘aires’ where funding has been obtained to provide facilities but they are few and far between.

Ian

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
All the locals are complaining about motorhomes wild parking ,now that something is being done to get them on parks ,the campsites are complaining.
Just can't win.
Yes but as I've always said Charlie, the complaints against wildcamping are mostly fuelled by money. People just hate other people getting something for nothing

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back