LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Ooh interesting one, I am on agile and am also signed up to the free energy sessions, today between 1&2. So will they pay me for the kWs used or get them free?:unsure:

OP
OP
Bessy765
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Yes you will get paid for any EXTRA power you use above your normal consumption plus being paid for any period with a lightning flag next to it.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Just wondering......if you start to use more energy between those hours, will they then say you're not using above your normal consumption any more and so stop paying you between those hours....because the extra you're now using has become the norm?

OP
OP
Bessy765
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
No it’s only for the duration of that hour above your normal use. Taken over the last thirty days.
You can look back on the Agile Watcher app and check. The one hour is a bit of a gimmick but with our set up we don’t use the grid between May and September but use that hour as a boost and when they are paying you to use we use electricity to heat our storage tank instead of the gas. It’s only a small amount of gain but I just like playing them at their own game.

IMG_1055.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I may be a bit grumpy but surely they should be using the money to invest in their own storage systems to reduce cost at peak times rather than paying to get rid of some hypothetical excess 🤬

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I may be a bit grumpy but surely they should be using the money to invest in their own storage systems to reduce cost at peak times rather than paying to get rid of some hypothetical excess 🤬
It's more Octopus avoiding having to pay British Gas to take their power imho. Remember Octopus own more renewable power than the rest of the big 6.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
It's more Octopus avoiding having to pay British Gas to take their power imho. Remember Octopus own more renewable power than the rest of the big 6.
Agreed - The system is not there for the consumer. If they raise the prices by the predicted 9% I'll really rant and stamp my feet before having to pay anyway 🤬

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Still managing to charge car and get paid for it today, life isn't too bad ;). It'll annoy the petrol heads to say, when was the last time you went to a Petrol station and was paid to put fuel in?

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
There's an app - Octopus Watch that provides rates 24 hours ahead - very useful :)
Hot tub on full :)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
There's an app - Octopus Watch that provides rates 24 hours ahead - very useful :)
Hot tub on full :)

The same day and next day Agile information is available on the Octopus app and website and I find it easy to read than the Octopus Watch app, but I do like having a look at the Octopus Watch app to see how I'm getting paid for the previous days exported solar. 👍😄

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
The same day and next day Agile information is available on the Octopus app and website and I find it easy to read than the Octopus Watch app, but I do like having a look at the Octopus Watch app to see how I'm getting paid for the previous days exported solar. 👍😄

I quite like agileprices.co.uk -> it's a nice easy infographic of if the prices on a monthly and daily basis are higher than a normal tariff for me.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Still managing to charge car and get paid for it today, life isn't too bad ;). It'll annoy the petrol heads to say, when was the last time you went to a Petrol station and was paid to put fuel in?
It'll only make a small dent in the inflated purchase price and resale value though 😂

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
It'll only make a small dent in the inflated purchase price and resale value though 😂
You know they are less than petrol cars now?

Resale value is only relevant if you plan to sell. I have no plans to sell, best car we've owned.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Only if you agree with inducements. I don't do interest on savings, bank accounts, unearned income ,all wrong.
I prefer to pay for what I use

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
A base Ducato is £28k, a base e-ducato is £66k - not totally convinced
Van's are one of the few things where demand is still exceeding supply (something to do with Amazon etc buying them ALL years in advance). Also combined with Van's needing larger battery for same miles (meaning 2x cars in same battery) means they do cost double.

Van's will drop as will others as China enters market more (they still have massive domestic demand) -> there was a Chinese van I think I linked here 12 months ago being sold at a ridicolous lease price ...

Ducato's (and Mercedes) vans are the anti-example.

That said, personally I considered buying one if my next work venture doesn't work as the maths does work out reasonably (I have a van driver friend who spends > £14k on his annual fuel billl, which would be about £1k of electric).

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Only if you agree with inducements. I don't do interest on savings, bank accounts, unearned income ,all wrong.
I prefer to pay for what I use
It's a half hour billed tariff. And it's wholesale price with an open, published algorithm (the actual algorithm is on the Octopus website).. It just happens to go negative from time to time. Unlike a fixed tariff where the calulations are opaque you can work out prices yourself based on how windy it is ... and quite a few have, there are Agile prediction websites these days (and apps).

I don't think there IS more of an pay as you use tariff thats fairer and LESS inducements. Remember it's available to ALL, it's not ev owners, or battery owner specific.

I think if you want to pay for what you use, you don't want a fixed tariff, as thats basically meaning you are wanting to provide subsidy youself (as thats what a fixed tariff is, it's a subsidy, where you are paying the energy company EXTRA to assume all your use is in peak periods, as thats what the majority of customers want). People on Agile just want to pay the price of energy that moment in time, NOT the peak period.

But I've made that point before!

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
but all is tax deductable + you aren't getting the vat back on the electric?
Yes, it's tax deductable, but that doesn't mean free. And the vat reclaim will still happen on public charging, just not home (as thats not possible).

I know I'd prefer the money in my pocket than being tax deducted against my profit for year. The money spent on the fuel could in effect be spent on the next van, maintaince or any other deductable activity instead and in terms of profit, it's pretty much clear profit.

Thats why the EV vans are so popular, the margin on running them is so insane, it repays the price premium INSIDE 3 years.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Free for us today 12-2.30 ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back