Novel idea? How to fit eco shower head (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
Semi-newbie to motorhomes
Hi all,

I want to save water.
My standard shower uses around 10 litres per minute. I want to halve that.
I bought several eco shower heads, however when i turn the tap on, the gas for the water heater cuts out so i have only cold showers.
If i turn the kitchen tap on at the same time then the water stays hot, but its an obvious waste of water.

So is the gas cutting out because the pump I have is too strong, or does the heater also need a certain flow rate in order to heat the water. It has a couple of knobs, one to adjust the gas and another to adjust how hot the water is. Never really figured it out.

One idea i had if i cant get to the bottom of it is to recirculate half the water coming into the shower back into the water tank. Pic below, welcome your feedback on that idea as well.
Split shower recirculation.jpg

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Do you have a tankless heater?

Best way to save water in shower is have a trigger shower head - get temp right and shit off whilst actually washing. Only turn on to wash suds away.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
10 liters a minute !!
That sounds massive, more like a domestic power shower.

We have a 20 litre hot water tank and can easily get two decent showers out of one heating.
With only one person showering I have yet to run out of hot water

I also have a 8 litre pump up portable shower (type used for washing dogs, humans or spraying roses) which will give at least a 5 minute shower on one fill

I think you should be looking at a system that delivers about one litre a minute.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
The knob on the heater to control how hot the water is would be a simple throttling device to restrict the flow - less flow the hotter it gets, the more flow it will be cooler. The ‘eco’ shower head is more than likely restricting the flow beyond the lower limit of the heater and the overheat device is cutting in to prevent damage to the unit.

This is something we come across all the time but with electric showers in tenanted properties. The desire to save water results in a damaged shower and, even if within the warranty period, the manufacturer doesn’t want to know as the shower has been adapted away from their spec.

Maybe change the way you use the shower as others have suggested.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TobyQuest
Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
Semi-newbie to motorhomes
Hi

Im already showering by turning the water on an off between rinsing etc. The issue is not wanting to drive overloaded carrying around loads of water but being able to remain off - grid for periods of time.
So its back to the original conundrum, I will experiment with the different flow rates.

SO does the water heater have a minimum gas flow rate? I saw these smaller pumps and thought if I install one of these the water flow would be less which is a good step, but maybe the water heater would have an issue with less water flow?
pumps.jpg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I tried one of them things but it made the water pump keep switching on and off as it reduced the flow and the pressure switch kept switching on and off , well didn't think think this was good for the pump or pipe joints so gone back to the old one.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
You must have a different boiler to a Truma unit, and it sounds like it has a flow switch which stops heating flowing water???
Possibly try bypassing flow switch?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Im already showering by turning the water on an off between rinsing etc.
Yet you're still using 10 liters a minute.
I find that very hard to understand unless you are impervious to scalding water and are using no cold water at all.
Plus you must have a very powerful pump to deliver that quantity per minute

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi all,

I want to save water.
My standard shower uses around 10 litres per minute. I want to halve that.
I bought several eco shower heads, however when i turn the tap on, the gas for the water heater cuts out so i have only cold showers.
If i turn the kitchen tap on at the same time then the water stays hot, but its an obvious waste of water.

So is the gas cutting out because the pump I have is too strong, or does the heater also need a certain flow rate in order to heat the water. It has a couple of knobs, one to adjust the gas and another to adjust how hot the water is. Never really figured it out.

One idea i had if i cant get to the bottom of it is to recirculate half the water coming into the shower back into the water tank. Pic below, welcome your feedback on that idea as well.
View attachment 936940
Won't you end up with no cold water in the tank with that system and a very high gas usage for the amount of hot water you use? I think it would be a good idea to say a bit more about your water heater type in case anyone has a similar one. On most systems there's a tank of heated water which would behave differently

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back