Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Devon Firefly
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
……from the Devon Campervans Conversions Owners Group on Facebook:-
‘Just to alert people - we had an attempt to steal our Aztec recently. Late at night they cut a hand-sized hole in our bonnet apparently to try to access and disable the alarm, using an oxy-accetaline torch which burnt the black surround for the air intake as well. The alarm was ok and they were spotted by a neighbour who frightened them off it seems.
We are having it repaired under our insurance but are taking more security precautions - a security camera on the house, a wheel clamp etc.
Our repairer said he’d never seen that tried previously - it does suggest a good knowledge of the layout of the vehicle - a Peugeot Boxer.’
IMG_8488.jpeg
IMG_8489.jpeg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Extraordinary. Well be fitting CO alarms under our bonnets if that type of attack becomes common.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Apparently it is happening more often, a couple of vans from a FB group I follow had similar
1727940934650.png
1727941001906.png

Paul D Wright

erondopstSagaml62u8p40m5leg mel9S0m20b1r fe7tat:4u l19tm857a ·

What were they after
Attempted breakin on Hymer Grand Canyon last night.
Though we had scared them off but found this in the morning.
Any idea what they were after… there is an electrical wire underneath.
Tracker still gives current location

All reactions:

Most relevant

Comments​

John Walpole
Happened to a wildax as well

May be an image of van, car and text

• 1w

Paul D Wright replied
·
3 replies

Daniel Peck
The sounder for the alarm I believe

• 1w

Paul D Wright replied
·
3 replies

Nigel Marlborough
They were probably after power to power up the van to get it open with the locks.

• 1w

Henry Roberts replied
·
1 reply

Kevin Drake
It blows the alarm fuse apparently

• 1w

Write an answer…

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Devon Firefly
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
The one I posted was from the Sheffield area…….

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I’d assume that they are using a blow lamp to soften the plastic, so that they can cut it, then gain access to the alarm sounder.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Wouldn't a hole saw be quicker? Probably not much noiser either. And no flames to give you away in darkness!

Another current attack (that doesn't affect the Ducato) is to pop off the light cluster to get to a canbus wire, and trigger the messages to open the doors. It's inside the security gateway, so no protection. I believe it's affecting a few cars that have fancy light clusters.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
‘Just to alert people - we had an attempt to steal our Aztec recently. Late at night they cut a hand-sized hole in our bonnet apparently to try to access and disable the alarm, using an oxy-accetaline torch which burnt the black surround for the air intake as well. The alarm was ok and they were spotted by a neighbour who frightened them off it seems.
We are having it repaired under our insurance but are taking more security precautions - a security camera on the house, a wheel clamp etc.
Our repairer said he’d never seen that tried previously - it does suggest a good knowledge of the layout of the vehicle - a Peugeot Boxer.’
View attachment 958807View attachment 958808
Saw the same thing on Facebook about 1 week ago, it was to get at the horn and cut the leads so no alarm.

Oct 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Buccaneer
View attachment 958807View attachment 958808
Hello everyone, just joined about 5mins ago and saw this. On my old moho I fitted a particular type of dash cam which aided me in my vehicle security endeavours. There are of course several options but the unit I chose does something that I think really helps keep the 'underclasses' away. Attach the unit to the windscreen, turn it to face the outside of the vehicle, rotate the viewing head/camera, power it up and after you've done your specific settings ensure the motion-detector is on and they will see themselves being recorded. I have two (permanently powered - very easy for a leisure battery to maintain) front and back. They can be found on Amazon and are sold by a seller called Vlokda. On my old moho Comfort Ins knocked off £40 when I informed them - not bad when you realise the dashcams were £80 the pair!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Saw the same thing on Facebook about 1 week ago, it was to get at the horn and cut the leads so no alarm.
Most alarm fitter don't use the horn and fit a seperate siren which could be any ware.
Arlam using the horn I would have thought only applied to a standard van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back