Norway - August for 2 - 3 months. How best to do it pls?! (1 Viewer)

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Hi all, planning on heading out to Norway around mid August. We've travelled around the Baltic previously to Finland & across & through the old Russian States. This time we'd like to tackle Norway!

I'm thinking of going up through Copenhagen & Stockholm & up Sweden's East coast, through Finland & right up to the Nordcap, then down the West coast of Norway & take the ferry over to Denmark & back.

Having had problems letting the dog off lead iin Sweden & Finland when there in June previously, I'm thinking of leaving early August to help avoid this problem.

Is this round trip feasible in 2 months'ish? Obv max 90 days. Are we taking a good route & are we going at a good time? Just concerned it's getting late in the year, but I want to avoid the peak summer crush!

Any comments, much appreciated. Cheers

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
That's a fair distance in two months, bearing in mind you aren't going to "bahn-storming" particularly coming back down through Norway.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
I'll be following this thread with interest as we're planning a 3 month trip to Norway leaving around the first week of July. Currently doubtful of the merit of going all the extra mileage to Nordcap for apparently not a great deal of much once you get there - other than bragging rights! 😀 Looking forward to the Lofoten Islands in particular.

At the moment trying to get our heads around route planning and the complexities of road, bridge, tunnel and ferry tolls.

Last time I went was by motorbike 25 years ago - taking the ferry direct from Newcastle to Kristiansand. Shame it's no longer an option.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We did that route a few years ago - strangely it also avoids problems with dog worming if you go via Finland! Agree that there's not much at Nordkap (when we were there it was misty and hardly saw anything anyway) except, as said, for bragging rights! Last year we went as far north as the Lofoten Islands and then spent more time exploring the more inland areas. If you go onto the Norway Tourist Info site you can pick up dedicated scenic routes which I planned a route around which was well worth it. Getting a ferry/tolls card and screen gobox is very definitely worthwhile, makes the tolls easier (no booths so automated) and 50% discounts on ferries that aren't already free. Doesn't sem, however, to be a way around reducing the cost of the bridge from Denmark to Sweden, ferries are very similar.

You need a minimum of 6 weeks, especially if you're travelling via the Channel ports as it's a 3 day drive from Calais to Denmark - we did 6000 miles in total. However I'd question leaving it as late as August as that is pretty well the end of the season in Scandinavia and you're risking snow and ice any later.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
sound slike a good trip.

what you cant have dogs off leads in Finland ? Sweden

OP
OP
Mad dog

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Sorry for the delay, I'm not getting notifications on this post weirdly. Thank you for your replies. Dogs have to be on leads in Scandinavia from 1st March till 20th August & they get quite funny about it. We didn't know about it when we went around the lower Baltic sea in 2022.

We could go early August at the earliest, I'm aiming for a 2 month trip, but if we get hooked on the West coast coming back we can extend to our 90 day limit. I'm considering cracking on up to the north first through Sweden to get the better weather & good light, so we can take it a bit more time coming down the west coast of Norway. I'll look up some of your suggestions later. Cheers

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
We did that route a few years ago - strangely it also avoids problems with dog worming if you go via Finland! Agree that there's not much at Nordkap (when we were there it was misty and hardly saw anything anyway) except, as said, for bragging rights! Last year we went as far north as the Lofoten Islands and then spent more time exploring the more inland areas. If you go onto the Norway Tourist Info site you can pick up dedicated scenic routes which I planned a route around which was well worth it. Getting a ferry/tolls card and screen gobox is very definitely worthwhile, makes the tolls easier (no booths so automated) and 50% discounts on ferries that aren't already free. Doesn't sem, however, to be a way around reducing the cost of the bridge from Denmark to Sweden, ferries are very similar.

You need a minimum of 6 weeks, especially if you're travelling via the Channel ports as it's a 3 day drive from Calais to Denmark - we did 6000 miles in total. However I'd question leaving it as late as August as that is pretty well the end of the season in Scandinavia and you're risking snow and ice any later.
We are heading up in the summer with our dog. I was under the impression if you enter from Finland to Norway you have to have a Titre test done by a EU Laboratory for the rabies antibodies but if you up through Sweden you only need the Foxworm tablet. Have I got that wrong? My original plan was to go through Finland to Knordkapp but the Titre test made me think again.

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We are heading up in the summer with our dog. I was under the impression if you enter from Finland to Norway you have to have a Titre test done by a EU Laboratory for the rabies antibodies but if you up through Sweden you only need the Foxworm tablet. Have I got that wrong? My original plan was to go through Finland to Knordkapp but the Titre test made me think again.
Hi we go into Norway by Sweden and only worm needed for our dog however we have never been sopped at a border going into Norway and we have gone from Finland into norway and the same.
2U9A1709.jpg

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Hi all, planning on heading out to Norway around mid August. We've travelled around the Baltic previously to Finland & across & through the old Russian States. This time we'd like to tackle Norway!

I'm thinking of going up through Copenhagen & Stockholm & up Sweden's East coast, through Finland & right up to the Nordcap, then down the West coast of Norway & take the ferry over to Denmark & back.

Having had problems letting the dog off lead iin Sweden & Finland when there in June previously, I'm thinking of leaving early August to help avoid this problem.

Is this round trip feasible in 2 months'ish? Obv max 90 days. Are we taking a good route & are we going at a good time? Just concerned it's getting late in the year, but I want to avoid the peak summer crush!

We did it in 7 weeks, but reverse.came back begining of august.just remember with a dog it needs to be wormed before entry into Norway. If you come out of Norway and go back into Sweden then the worming has to be done again.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We are planning exactly the same trip, end of May till the end of August full 90 days. We already have our BIZ, we went with Orundsen Pay (spelling!) which they say gives discount on the two bridges and the Norway tolls & ferries. Have also signed up for Ferry Pass, just have to pay the deposit.
We have no animals so no restrictions. We aim to do Nordkap. (Why wouldn’t you?) loads of driving, very expensive but it’s only the kids inheritance, but they have said “Plan it right Dad & die a pauper and leave us to pay for the funeral” so that is what we are planning. I am also spending a fortune on the van in preparation.
So watching this thread to perhaps share experiences. Been watching YouTube videos for ages.
What’s with the Hot Dog suggestion. Is there such a thing as a good Hot Dog? I thought Scandinavia was all fish & meat balls. :LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would say starting your trip in Mid August is a bit late that is the end of their summer best to finish your trip then. We have been in Sweden in August and it was only 12° by contrast we have had 30° in May.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
To be honest I did all kinds of research when we first went in 2016, routing Sweden, Finland then Norway - she wanted to visit Santa Claus at Rovaniemi on the Arctic Circle in Finland. At that time I could find no definitive ruling about importing pets across the various borders, except worming Sweden into Norway. When we got to the border Finland/Norway we attempted to find a border post but ended up at a Tourist Office who didn't know but said as we were already in Norway not to worry about it.
Last year we crossed Sweden to Norway and visited a vet who confirmed we needed the worming treatment and did it there and then (which was fun as Jamie decided under no circumstances was he going to take the tablet - the vet, his nurse and both of us rolling around the floor fighting with a Westie was a sight to see!)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I would say starting your trip in Mid August is a bit late that is the end of their summer best to finish your trip then. We have been in Sweden in August and it was only 12° by contrast we have had 30° in May.
As we have this trip on our itinerary maybe next year.
With your experience. When would you suggest best date leaving the uk when doing 90 days.
I may have my EU passport by then so maybe able to go longer. If I can afford it

Dec 23, 2020
Scotland Central
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
Since 2014
We left uk (after being advised by locals )
At the beginning of may. Drove up through Bremen and across to Sweden -
note : upon entering Sweden all vehicles were stopped and breathalised. Travelling north to Finland and Norkapp. Down through Lofoton etc to Oslo and back to Denmark.
PS : It was snowing in Nordkapp !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As we have this trip on our itinerary maybe next year.
With your experience. When would you suggest best date leaving the uk when doing 90 days.
I may have my EU passport by then so maybe able to go longer. If I can afford it
We have not done Norway but have friends in Sweden & their summer is June & July .
I would see how Steve & Judy OldAgeTravellers get on they are going at the end of May.

What concerned me is going out mid August & coming back Mid November it will be getting cold and the possibility of snow.

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Sorry for the delay, I'm not getting notifications on this post weirdly. Thank you for your replies. Dogs have to be on leads in Scandinavia from 1st March till 20th August & they get quite funny about it. We didn't know about it when we went around the lower Baltic sea in 2022.

We could go early August at the earliest, I'm aiming for a 2 month trip, but if we get hooked on the West coast coming back we can extend to our 90 day limit. I'm considering cracking on up to the north first through Sweden to get the better weather & good light, so we can take it a bit more time coming down the west coast of Norway. I'll look up some of your suggestions later. Cheers
Having done that trip in the other direction. If I did it again I would wizz through Sweden to Nordkapp and then head South on the West Coast of Norway as you are doing. We did 6250 miles in 45 days which is a lot bit doable. We started in October and returned in November. Saw a fair amount of snow. First time in October fairly far South. If you go to Kristiansand via the ferry from Hirtshals and head NE you could visit Oslo on the way to Sweden.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mad dog

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Having done that trip in the other direction. If I did it again I would wizz through Sweden to Nordkapp and then head South on the West Coast of Norway as you are doing. We did 6250 miles in 45 days which is a lot bit doable. We started in October and returned in November. Saw a fair amount of snow. First time in October fairly far South. If you go to Kristiansand via the ferry from Hirtshals and head NE you could visit Oslo on the way to Sweden.
Thanks, that's good to know. I'm thinking we try to leave early August, our aim is a couple of months on the road, so returning early to mid October. Don't hang about getting up to the Nordcap to hopefully get reasonable weather & then take our time heading back down the West coast.

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Thanks, that's good to know. I'm thinking we try to leave early August, our aim is a couple of months on the road, so returning early to mid October. Don't hang about getting up to the Nordcap to hopefully get reasonable weather & then take our time heading back down the West coast.
You'll have a great time. Best thing we've ever done. I want to go again but in the summer next time. Let me know if you're interested in my polar steps record of the journey.

OP
OP
Mad dog

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Yes please, woukd like to see your polar steps. Interesting you started October & went right up to the Nordcap, how did you cope with the lack of light & was snow much of a problem?

Cheers

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Yes please, woukd like to see your polar steps. Interesting you started October & went right up to the Nordcap, how did you cope with the lack of light & was snow much of a problem?

Cheers
Hi we didnt quite make Nordkapp. Went as far as Tromso but didn't think it was worth the extra mileage and we wanted longer to get home. Snow wasn't much of a problem but I think we were lucky. Got stuck once and had to put the chains on. Trollstigen was closed so it can limit where you go. A lot of stuff closes that time of year anyway. But on the plus side hardly any crowds. Pulpit rock was fairly empty. The light wasn't really an issue and it made for some great photos.

Follow me on my trip ‘Norway’ at https://www.polarsteps.com/MarkLeabon/8659704-norway

Sep 16, 2018
Norway
Funster No
MH
Georgie Boy Pursuit
Exp
Since 1982

Little late to do the trip in Norway, have lived here for 40+ years. Mosquito country up north in those months and of course a lot of day light. Other issue is of course the weather, can be 30+ or it can be snowing. There are a few toll roads and on the west coast many ferries, tunnels and bridges that you get charged for, get the road toll pass and you go cheaper.

We did the north cape a couple of years ago and used 7 weeks up and down from Kristiansand.

Yes its expensive but the fantastic scenery and nature make up for the cost, Norwegian Krone is to your advantage and as long as you shop right there is not too much different from UK, having just been back to UK and seen that actually many things are now "quality wise", cheaper here.

May 21, 2021
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby

We tend to spend at least 3-4 months a year in Scandi (mainly Sweden, love it there!) and have been most months of the year. I would suggest mid May (a couple of passes in Norway potentially still a bit iffy then but usually ok) to mid July is a good time. Their summer season is a bit shorter than ours and things tend to close/restricted opening beyond August, especially in Norway. However, if August to Sept is the only time you can make, then that will be fine, just a bit cooler but with the benefit of less people. Lofoten gets very busy at height of summer season, especially with vans. Have never been north of Kiruna but we are heading that way this year (leaving UK, mid June).
Ferries, we tend to do Harwich to HoH or Hull to Rotterdam (often quite pricey but saves milage if from up north!). Then Travemunde to Malmo (usually, amongst the cheapest, we booked early this year and paid only £90 for mh + 2). Lots of ferry routes to choose and prices not massively different. Kristiansand/Hirstshals another good option for Norway. The bridges can work out expensive if booked as separates but there is a good deal with Scandlines, they let you book a combo passage to include Oresund Bridge or ferry to Denmark and then the onward ferry to Germany (2 routes to choose from). This is what we are doing on the return this year. The date you book is for the ferry to Germany and the Oresund Bridge /ferry to Denmark is valid for up to 7 days prior. Check it out on the Scandlines website.

Contrary to what you here, I would suggest that Sweden and Finland need be no more expensive than the UK for day to day supermarket shopping and campsites are often cheaper. Norway and Denmark a bit more expensive for food shopping but the price differential far less than it used to be. However, services and eating/drinking out etc are still on the higher side. Lots of legitimate free motorhome stops though, albeit less so in Denmark.

Hope you have a great trip, keep an eye on the miles though. This year, we shall be doing about 5500 miles (once outside of UK) in 85 days, that is HoH to Finland (via Travemunde-malmo-south coast sweden-stockholm-Aland Islands-finland-north to Kiruna (and a bit further north maybe)-back south through sweden/Norway-Denmark-holland-to UK. We will remain very flexible regarding exact route. If going to Nordkapp (we have never been) and back down the Norwegian coast, then you will be adding a lot more road miles. Personally, I think that could be a tad ambitious but, obviously everyone is different (thankfully!). If it's any use, as a rule of thumb, when working out a rough itinerary (once arriving at our destination country/s), we tend to work out our maximum overall distance by basing it on no more than about 50 to 60 miles per day. For example, if we have 60 days, then we would look at doing no more than 3 to 3.5k miles. I realize this does not work for everyone but the danger of being over ambitious is potentially always there.

Hope my ramblings may help a bit. Hope you enjoy.

Nov 1, 2023
Christchurch, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Van
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, we did the reverse trip in 2017. Ferry Harwich to Holland, stayed in Groningham then up through Germany including Ferry from Cuxhaven, a few nights in Bisum (Germans amused to see us as they could not understand why we would go there, but plenty of free drinks), ferry Frederikshavn to Kristiansand. round coast to Bergen, stay in Preikistolen to climb rock essental, up to Geiranger including Karmoy tunnel with roundabout in middle, on to Alesund vi ferry from Geiranger, then round back down to Oslo via Andalsness, taking in the Trolstigen. Back through Sweden, Denmark and Germany. Took about 4 weeks. Would hav loved to go further North but the weather turned, Highlights in Bold. Have a great trip.

Oct 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa

We travelled up the west coast "Arctic Road" in July then carried on North, eventually to Nordkap which is a must. En-route we did Lofoten but weren't impressed, thought Senja was much better. After Nordkap we returned to Tromso where we were lucky enough to see the Northern Lights in early October. By then the snow line was getting lower down the mountains each morning so it was time to leave! We crossed over into Sweden at Narvik then headed for the East Coast before heading south. Crossed back by ferry to Denmark then another to Germany before travelling through Holland and Belgium back to Calais. Booze is very expensive in Norway but not too bad in Sweden so we did a couple of "booze cruises" across the border and back to stock up. You need to plan your route to get LPG refills but, perhaps more importantly, toilet emptying out of season is a challenge! Water is easy, just ask at a fuel station.
We went "the long way round" across Germany, all around Poland then up through the Baltics and across to Finland before crossing to Sweden, a great trip of over 12,000 miles involving new tyres and batteries en-route!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back