NordVpn on smart tv (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Hi,
My folks are getting a new motorhome soon and have tasked me with researching suitable Smart TV's but I'm admittedly a little lost.
They've been a bit vague, so unsure on size yet but probably something between 20-30 inch, 12v.
The clincher really is that they want to be able to watch bbc, itv, netflix etc. apps on it while abroad, so am thinking it'll need a vpn, like Nord to bypass any geolocking?
From the research I've done so far it's confusing as to whether some of these will allow all googleplay apps (like Nord) or if they're limited.
Does anyone have any real world experience of using nordvpn on a smart tv in their motorhome they can share please?

Thank you,

Andy

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Can't answer your question directly but I added Nordvpn to my Fire stick and used it that way.
I have an old un smart motorhome TV.
You can't add the app to a Roku.
I guess you can add it to a Google dongle but not sure.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
I use SurfShark which I believe is part of the same company as NordVPN and have been using that to watch all the usual streaming services while France, including watching the Euro footie on iPlayer and ITVx.

We have a 24" LG smart TV which is mains powered but by a mains to 19V adapter, so I was able to buy a 12V to 19V adapter so can now run it off mains or 12V.

The issue you will have is that it is unlikely that you will be able to install a VPN app directly on the TV, so depending on your wifi source you may need whatever you use as your Internet source for the TV to run the VPN on behalf of the TV. This will be needed for example to use the WiFi provided on campsites which you could do by relaying that WiFi to the TV via a wifi hotspot on your phone.

Alternatively you could use mobile data on your phone and set up a WiFi hotspot on the phone to provide a WiFi signal to the TV. This works subject to having a fast enough mobile data signal and people report that as long as you use a UK SIM you shouldn't need a VPN. If you use an EU SIM you would probably need to run a VPN app on the phone.

In my case I use a Starlink dish set up to run through my own router instead of the Starlink one and this router is able to be set up to have access to my SurfShark service set to the UK and use that to feed the TV, thereby making it seem that the TV is in the UK for access to UK only streaming services.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I would look at normal 12volt TV’s and use a Firestick, easier to add and update apps.
Depends on what mobile internet provider they use if a UK sim they wouldn’t need a VPN to stream uk tv
I used Surfshark when I had a Reglo French sim , it mostly worked well with a few hiccup.

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747 - 2
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,
My folks are getting a new motorhome soon and have tasked me with researching suitable Smart TV's but I'm admittedly a little lost.
They've been a bit vague, so unsure on size yet but probably something between 20-30 inch, 12v.
The clincher really is that they want to be able to watch bbc, itv, netflix etc. apps on it while abroad, so am thinking it'll need a vpn, like Nord to bypass any geolocking?
From the research I've done so far it's confusing as to whether some of these will allow all googleplay apps (like Nord) or if they're limited.
Does anyone have any real world experience of using nordvpn on a smart tv in their motorhome they can share please?

Thank you,

Andy
I would think the best way would be purchase starlink and have a vpn cost more but you get to stay In touch on the internet as WiFi drops out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
The best and cheapest method is to buy an Amazon firestick and subscribe when required to Express VPN . We have an older Avtex TV which has HDMI and USB sockets which is all you need. This works off a Motorhome WI-FI roof aerial and router. Also got a Starlink sat dish for longer stays. The Avtex people don't tell you that their kit cannot take an electronic app VPN as I guess most of their sales are to UK holidaying customers.
So just get a firestick and a decent data SIM such as 100gb Popit for £25 month and put on hold for £1 when not needed.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Also using an LG Smart TV/ Monitor - normal 240v but it is actually 19vDC, so no issues running it on a £9 12v to 19v laptop PSU plugged into a standard ciggie socket.

My NordVPN is loaded onto the Firestick but as the TV is networked to the Moho router, which has an IQGO U.K. based SIM in it, there’s no issue using the LG native U.K. channels and apps without a VPN - Freebiew Play works particularly well abroad.

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I’ve got an Avtex Tv for sale in classifieds! We ran it with a firestick with the Nord vpn app installed, but as folks have said if you are using a UK sim in your mifi, you won’t need Nord.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Firestick + TV is way to go. Inbuilt apps for certain providers (nowtv for one) won't work on most TV's anyhow (except some running the lG WebOS), and definitely not with a VPN, so you best to just have a firestick in my opinon.

Running a UK sim in mifi costs cons derably more per month than buying sims as you visit places in general (300Gb in France is like 20 quid prepay). Most people are paying same for 100Gb of UK sim. The issue is these days football on nowtv is quite data heavy and in a month, we know we'll exceed 100Gb (last Chritmas in 3 weeks we managed 250Gb).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Firestick + TV is way to go. Inbuilt apps for certain providers (nowtv for one) won't work on most TV's anyhow (except some running the lG WebOS), and definitely not with a VPN, so you best to just have a firestick in my opinon.

Running a UK sim in mifi costs cons derably more per month than buying sims as you visit places in general (300Gb in France is like 20 quid prepay). Most people are paying same for 100Gb of UK sim. The issue is these days football on nowtv is quite data heavy and in a month, we know we'll exceed 100Gb (last Chritmas in 3 weeks we managed 250Gb).
Yes, that is why I have gone for Starlink. No hassle with data limits on SIMs and poor signal/connection speed. I reliably get 100-300 Mbit/s download speeds, with the average being around 200. I only paid £150 for the refurbished Starlink kit when it was on sale, and spent about another £150 for a roof mount and bits needed to run it off 12V. I then pay £85 per month when it is active, but can pause it at zero cost when not needed. We tend to go away for about 4 weeks at a time so one £85 payment, or two payments if our trip doesn't coincide with the monthly renewal date, is not a lot compared with the overall cost of a holiday.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back