Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Just back from 4 days in Germany, 2 in Berlin and 2 out in the sticks. General rule is that anywhere that is a 'company' i.e McDonalds etc, will take cards, as will all fuel stations. Never had to pay cash for fuel, or groceries in the last 8 years doing 8 trips a year. However, once you get to single trader types, its a different story, if the guy you are paying owns the place, he wants cash. Pretty much always. If we book an 'off piste' hotel, I will expect to take cash to pay the bill. Same in restaurants.

And this is 'proper plastic', not some card that you just top up..

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sod that I don't deal in cash unless it's under €5

I think I've used less than €100 cash since I left the UK in January, everything gets put on my clarity card

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I wonder if its because they can be a little economical with the truth on VAT and Tax!!!!
I think that's probably the main reason

I had a friend who's parents owned a Chinese takeaway.....the deliveries rarely went through the till.

And working on several takeaways from 18 to around 30 I saw many others do the same

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
When working as a solicitor (now retired) I was involved in a case where an Italian restaurant was watched by Customs & Excise (then charged with collecting VAT) for over 18 months. C&E rented premises across the road of the restaurant with a view of the till and photoed the till. Eventually the trap was sprung and the owners done for VAT fraud. It became a personal liability of the restaurant's directors for allowing the company to avoid collecting or undeclaring VAT. Oh happy days!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
40+
Win Win when paying cash,not always, Builder buys material from supplier and spends in multiples of say £1000.00 pays VAT 20% /£200.00 Total Cost £1200 or multiples of this amount. Builder then works out your price including the Vat he’s paid on materials because he can’t claim it back from HMRC,therefore,you are still paying VAT when paying cash.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Anybody used the LYK card, it’s a prepaid MasterCard, you can put euros on it or whatever and use an app to transfer into other currencies like say Swiss francs and when you leave Switzerland you can put it all back to euros. I like the idea of flipping between the currencies, however I think you get a little hit going back to GBP. Would I have trouble using this type of card? Anybody used it?

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
What’s proper plastic? Visa/MasterCard Credit Card ?
A card that’s Topped up is as good as cash it’s a Debit Card paid up front,just saying.

If its not got Visa on it, i wouldnt touch it personally. I have seen places that dont take VISA , only EC, and as for the alternatives that people on here seem to prefer, i dont have the time to be moving money from one place to another, or risk not being able to use it .

I realise that those who travel more than i do , for long periods, will be set up to use them, but i do multiple short trips in a tight time frame , wont do internet banking, so it limits me .

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I've found my Revolut card universally accepted (visa) and pays in the local currency. In Norway, Sweden, Danemark & euroland I've bought fuel food and everything else on it without issue. The exchange rate is good, there's no commission charges and easy to top up. I have also registered it with my brobizz automatic toll system. It has NEVER failed to transact. I do keep circa £300-£500 in credit. In Deutschland i tend to use cash or the Credit Agricole euro debit card.
Gerry (currently in Stavanger)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back