Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
My van (Hymer B574DL) has just passed it's MOT but the technician told me the main beam on the near side isn't working. He was going to fit a new bulb but, when he removed the headlight, he realised it was an LED. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this. I have replaced the wiring looms (twice) The second time with the upgraded wiring so I don't think it's that.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for that info Taran_Las for future reference would you be in a position to post a photo of the offending relays as Iā€™m thinking I may like to protect them if possiblešŸ˜ŠšŸ¤”
I'm afraid I can't provide photos as I've just sold (part ex'd) the Hymer. As the OP has a left hooker, behind the nearside headlamp you'll find a 'two relay' block, probably cable tied to something. Mine wasn't a tidy installation. I suspect someone had been there before me to set the headlights for importation. Don't be surprised if the block is just dangling. You don't need to remove the headlamp to get to them.

btw - The headlamps don't have dip & main-beam bulbs. A shutter obscures part of the bulb thereby producing a dipped beam. When you activate the main-beam switch, the shutter is moved by a solenoid driven mechanism exposing the whole bulb. You can hear the solenoid operating if you are in front of the van with the engine off. If the relay is kaput, you won't hear the solenoid moving.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to Lenny HB for giving me the heads up on the main-beam operation. (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I'm afraid I can't provide photos as I've just sold (part ex'd) the Hymer. As the OP has a left hooker, behind the nearside headlamp you'll find a 'two relay' block, probably cable tied to something. Mine wasn't a tidy installation. I suspect someone had been there before me to set the headlights for importation. Don't be surprised if the block is just dangling. You don't need to remove the headlamp to get to them.

btw - The headlamps don't have dip & main-beam bulbs. A shutter obscures part of the bulb thereby producing a dipped beam. When you activate the main-beam switch, the shutter is moved by a solenoid driven mechanism exposing the whole bulb. You can hear the solenoid operating if you are in front of the van with the engine off. If the relay is kaput, you won't hear the solenoid moving.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to Lenny HB for giving me the heads up on the main-beam operation. (y)
Thanks I was aware of the bulb and shutter I will investigate the solenoid and relayšŸ˜Š

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
I had a similar problem and it wasn't the wiring loom. There are two relays on the offside which operate the main beam. They were installed in such a way they would allow water in. They were completely rusty, one more than the other. If that is the cause of the problem (you can easily tell by removing them) let me know and I can send you a set of new ones.

I've checked the relay(s) but, stupidly, just swapped them over instead of trying them individually. Swapping them made no difference, still no main beam on left side. I've put it all away now so Monday (it's going to rain tomorrow and we're going out on Sunday) I'll have another go, trying one at a time (could be the holder at fault?). They weren't fixed to anything so I'll have to find a way of securing them. There is no sign of corrosion so that's a good sign I guess.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
The corrosion will be inside the plastic casing. Can you hear the solenoid engaging?
20240709_135829[1].jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
I think both relays are working as, when I swapped them over, the problem remained. Therefore each relay has operated the right hand light.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back