No more touring for a while (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
3 weeks ago I did something silly with a BBQ in my garden and ended up with serious burns to the whole of my right arm, hand and chest.

2 visits to the hospital theatre,
a week in hospital, skin grafts and 5 out patient visits later I am very slowly getting better but won't be able to go anywhere for some time.

I must take this opportunity to praise the emergency services, 2 ambulances and air ambulance within 20 mins, transferred to Stoke Mandeville Burns unit within an hour and excellent care from the staff there, which now continues as an outstanding patient. I have a new appricriation of how good they are and how much money it all must cost!

Sadly the motorhome hasn't moved for over 6 weeks now and all future plans are on hold including our planned 2 month trip down to Morocco in October. I'm hoping we will be getting away for some shorter trips in the UK in a month or 2 but need to be available for regular visits back to Stoke Mandeville for some months to come.

I also had to miss my long booked trip to France in my track car doing some french trackdays with my Lotus/VX friends.

Celebrated my 40th wedding anniversary last night with a takeaway Chinese - not quite what was planned.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, going a bit stir crazy at home and already fed up with my 4 hours trip to Stoke Mandeville every 5 days for dressing changes and physio but it could have turned out so much worse.

Moral of story - don't play with fire!

IMG_20240729_084345.jpg

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
What a horrible accident! Wishing you a speedy recovery! Stoke Manderville are not only UK renowned, I understand them to be world renowned, so you’re under the care of the best!

I still do not understand why air ambulance is not government funded. They really do make such a massive difference.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Blimey matey, that’s terrible news and hope it all pans out ok and you heal soonest, without lasting effects.

Sending manly hugs, but as a thought, any sausages left over 😇

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
That must’ve been a terrifying experience for you and your loved ones. Glad you’re getting excellent care and I hope your recovery continues to go well.

I know people knock touring in the UK but I’ve found that doing very short close to home tours can be very enjoyable and give you a micro break and change of scenery so I hope that you’ll be able to get out in the MH before too many more weeks pass, even if only for 24hr tours initially.

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
No longer have one
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Really sorry to hear of your accident. Hope the recovery goes well. I have to share your comments regarding the NHS, my own experience of the treatment I had when I was paralysed with CIDP and the ongoing outpatient treatment to this day has been second to none. For all their reported faults, when you need them, they are there.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. My empathy, having had skin grafts a number of years ago I can verify the area where the skin is harvested from [ thighs normally ] can be more sore than the injured area. You will mend and chalk it up to experience, get well soon and back on the road and track, supreme irony in there given your hobby.
Mike.

May 2, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Frontier
Exp
I'm a newbie
So sorry to hear of your injuries and wishing you a speedy recovery. I hope every new day is a step in right direction for you. You will get there, focus on your future travels. Hope your family is OK too and you all get the support you need.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I did something silly with a BBQ
Go on then, tell us, I'm sure everyone is wondering what you did. Might help prevent others doing the same.

an outstanding patient
Steady on ... blowing one's own trumpet and all that! 😄

Seriously though, I wish you well and a speedy recovery as I'm sure it was a massive shock.

Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
3 weeks ago I did something silly with a BBQ in my garden and ended up with serious burns to the whole of my right arm, hand and chest.

2 visits to the hospital theatre,
a week in hospital, skin grafts and 5 out patient visits later I am very slowly getting better but won't be able to go anywhere for some time.

I must take this opportunity to praise the emergency services, 2 ambulances and air ambulance within 20 mins, transferred to Stoke Mandeville Burns unit within an hour and excellent care from the staff there, which now continues as an outstanding patient. I have a new appricriation of how good they are and how much money it all must cost!

Sadly the motorhome hasn't moved for over 6 weeks now and all future plans are on hold including our planned 2 month trip down to Morocco in October. I'm hoping we will be getting away for some shorter trips in the UK in a month or 2 but need to be available for regular visits back to Stoke Mandeville for some months to come.

I also had to miss my long booked trip to France in my track car doing some french trackdays with my Lotus/VX friends.

Celebrated my 40th wedding anniversary last night with a takeaway Chinese - not quite what was planned.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, going a bit stir crazy at home and already fed up with my 4 hours trip to Stoke Mandeville every 5 days for dressing changes and physio but it could have turned out so much worse.

Moral of story - don't play with fire!

View attachment 937327
So sorry to hear that, but, you do as you're told!

It might be a pain (literally) but you need the best recovery possible.

You'll soon be back to the racing and the motorhoming!

(Don't get them mixed up!)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Ouch Ouch Ouch Ouch Ouch,

Truly hope you feel less sore soon and a speedy recovery,

Probably won't help but a good friend was smelting lead recently lost his balance pulled on the cloth holding the ladle and the lead went over his arm and leg. he is making a good recovery.

Whilst you are laid up dream of those track days you have done and carry on planning the ones your going to do..

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Sorry to hear about your accident, I hope your recovery goes well and you can get out in your MH soon.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back