No insulation in new adria van!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria active duo
Hi I've just bought a Adria active duo and at motorway speeds it is deafening.
Their brochure mentions that it is insulated but on checking the side and rear doors there is no insulation or sound deadening.
I sent a message on their website but no reply and have mentioned it to the dealer again no help so far. Is this normal for their small vans. Does anyone have a similar experience?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I filled the roof and side wall ribs with fire retardant gun grade foam
My point is, the thin metal ribs are a bloody good heat conductor to the external skin. So you can fill between as much as you like. But you'll still be letting a lot of heat escape through the ribs. For this reason, a coachbuild will always offer insulation advantages over a PVC, just because it doesn't have all those thermal bridges.

You've also got to be careful with spray foam. The heat it generates when it cures can leave ripples in the van's panels.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
There's a youtube video I watched a few days ago. Bloke with a new Adria, showed condensation on certain parts of the body exterior which I guess means lack of insulation ?

From 4:08 onwards

I think it's the other way around if it's outside. Areas that aren't receiving heat that's leaked from inside the vehicle have got cold enough to have condensation form on them. Early morning condensation on the outside is a good sign.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
I think it's the other way around if it's outside. Areas that aren't receiving heat that's leaked from inside the vehicle have got cold enough to have condensation form on them. Early morning condensation on the outside is a good sign.
Wondered if that was the case! Anyway, there are areas shown which have no condensation :D

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
There's a youtube video I watched a few days ago. Bloke with a new Adria, showed condensation on certain parts of the body exterior which I guess means lack of insulation ?

From 4:08 onwards

It could well indicate lack of insulation on the bits that don't have condensation! Where there is no insulation if the inside is warm the outside panel will be warmer and less prone to condensation. At least that's what I think!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
My point is, the thin metal ribs are a bloody good heat conductor to the external skin. So you can fill between as much as you like. But you'll still be letting a lot of heat escape through the ribs. For this reason, a coachbuild will always offer insulation advantages over a PVC, just because it doesn't have all those thermal bridges.

You've also got to be careful with spray foam. The heat it generates when it cures can leave ripples in the van's panels.
We may have to agree to disagree on this one, I have 50 mm Kingspan insulation over the ribs and also aluminium faced bubble wrap against the external van skin and over all the insulation. It took me 4 weeks working 8 hours a day just to do the insulation. Coachbuilt vans have very little insulation compared to my pvc and I have had 6 coachbuilt vans over the years.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
It could well indicate lack of insulation on the bits that don't have condensation! Where there is no insulation if the inside is warm the outside panel will be warmer and less prone to condensation. At least that's what I think!
I think you are right but either way it suggests that the insulation is very inconsistent.

I agree that metal vans probably start off disadvantaged in insulation terms. All the more important to make a proper effort to insulate them as much as possible at the construction stage.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I think you are right but either way it suggests that the insulation is very inconsistent.
I agree that metal vans probably start off disadvantaged in insulation terms. All the more important to make a proper effort to insulate them as much as possible at the construction stage.
Or just to have a good heater with strategically placed outlets? It would be interesting to see some calculations of heat loss and relative energy cost for well-insulated versus poorly insulated PVCs.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Adrias appear to be well insulated if you believe everything on their website.

IMG_8523.jpeg

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Or just to have a good heater with strategically placed outlets? It would be interesting to see some calculations of heat loss and relative energy cost for well-insulated versus poorly insulated PVCs.
It is not just about heat loss and energy costs. Comfort depends on not sitting next to cold surfaces. I know because I live in a listed building with very large areas of single glazed windows, as soon as the temperature drops outside it is time to shut the curtains. It immediately makes a big difference, not because the room temperature suddenly rises, it doesn’t, but because you are no longer radiating body heat to the cold surface of the windows. The same applies to cold walls and doors in motorhomes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jim12
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria active duo
Is that the one based on the Renault Trafic? Incidently, a VW California has no insulation either. VW says the best insulation is air:unsure:
Yes the renault trafic, that'll be why they take it out of vacuum flasks then 🤣

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
70s camper,Weinsberg
Bear in mind 4mm silent coat probably adds 6/8kg per m2. Did our works van but weight wasn't an issue but 80kg to a motorhome may be. Our pvc had no insulation in roof sides so added that and speaker deadening when did ice upgrade. Will add silent coat on cab floor in pvc soon..

20221008_141658.jpg

20221016_142919.jpg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back