Niesmann & bischoff arto 2009 (6 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Hi I am interested in this van and thinking of going to see it today.
Any comments ,tips good or bad about the van , company or price.
Ta
Cheers Cris 🍻.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ye spoke to the guy earlier ,there is some misting in one side ,so will have a good look at that
I built my current van so have some DIY skills and will look at how to go about repairing the window in question YouTube search tonight 😁.
You can possibly live with some light misting, I did for about 3 years and went through mot's. Try and get it in the sun because thats when its at its worst. If you want the whole job doing then Autoglass Melle ( By Osnabruck) are about E1200 but currently working on March. If you are ok stripping the whole window down to the glass then CN GLass Banbury will do it for about £350 and afaik no waiting list. Be aware the metal around the panes are very tight.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
You can possibly live with some light misting, I did for about 3 years and went through mot's. Try and get it in the sun because thats when its at its worst. If you want the whole job doing then Autoglass Melle ( By Osnabruck) are about E1200 but currently working on March. If you are ok stripping the whole window down to the glass then CN GLass Banbury will do it for about £350 and afaik no waiting list. Be aware the metal around the panes are very tight.
Having already replaced the DG unit which Martin had already replaced, I am not replacing anymore Jon.
On Wednesday, weather permitting, both our cab windows are coming out, and the static DG units will be replaced with 11mm toughened glass, for just over half the price CN charge for one unit.
Whilst I know this detracts from the original spec, I can't be doing with failing DG units. It's a nonsense.

I did the same on the Hymer, but with laminated glass, and it worked well.
I shan't be going to the Baltic States over winter, so probably won't experience any noticeable internal difference. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Having already replaced the DG unit which Martin had already replaced, I am not replacing anymore Jon.
On Wednesday, weather permitting, both our cab windows are coming out, and the static DG units will be replaced with 11mm toughened glass, for just over half the price CN charge for one unit.
Whilst I know this detracts from the original spec, I can't be doing with failing DG units. It's a nonsense.

I shan't be going to the Baltic States over winter, so probably won't experience any noticeable internal difference. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers,

Wow, they're already heavy, wouldnt that double the weight? Not a problem for you or I, but possibly an issue on an Arto. The other issue would be condensation unless you use silverscreens.

Upvote 0

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Hi Chris

Drop down bed is no issue at all, our Dethleff has one and for me creates more usable space.

Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Cheers,

I would do the same Jock, both our sides were replaced at Autoglas Melle when we bought it, paid for by the dealer as part of the deal, good service but hugely expensive as I asked the price, €1500 per side and that was 2018.

I have some old frames which I bought off someone with knackered units in, I haven’t yet got round to figuring out how to get the DG glass out.

I asked Autoglas Melle if they would put single glazed toughened glass in, they were horrified” Certainly not sir”

That reads in plain language “ If we put that in we’ll never extract a fortune off you again in a few years” you’re paying for the Labour/knowledge it will be just a few quid in parts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Wow, they're already heavy, wouldnt that double the weight? Not a problem for you or I, but possibly an issue on an Arto. The other issue would be condensation unless you use silverscreens.
Most of our winter MH'ing is done in sunnier climes Jon, but where we do use the Flair here in autumn to winter, the Alde heating is on overnight, with radiator vents right under both cab side windows, so never a problem even with blown units. Rita and I sleep at the rear, so only occasionally there is a need to clear condensation from the windscreen using the Karcher Vacuum, just before setting off, as no heating or vents to the screen. That might change with the installation of LiFePO4, and small bar type wall heaters we inherited. ;) We do have screen covers, but not found the need for them..................yet.

I would do the same Jock, both our sides were replaced at Autoglas Melle when we bought it, paid for by the dealer as part of the deal, good service but hugely expensive as I asked the price, €1500 per side and that was 2018.

I have some old frames which I bought off someone with knackered units in, I haven’t yet got round to figuring out how to get the DG glass out.

I asked Autoglas Melle if they would put single glazed toughened glass in, they were horrified” Certainly not sir”

That reads in plain language “ If we put that in we’ll never extract a fortune off you again in a few years” you’re paying for the Labour/knowledge it will be just a few quid in parts.
Paul, I cannot help but totally agree with your sceptical viewpoint. ;)

Cheers,

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005

Hi I am interested in this van and thinking of going to see it today.
Any comments ,tips good or bad about the van , company or price.
Ta
Cheers Cris 🍻.
We have had an Arto (2007) for about 18 months, it is a really solid piece of work, dry as a bone. We do not even bother checking dampness such was our confidence after having had two Hymers (similar but not the same).

The 3 litre Fiat engine mated to the 6 speed manual gearbox is a jewel of a power unit.

The Arto has a double floor setup and the water tanks are held in that area so no worries about freezing up in the UK at least.

The garage is an ample size and height.

Although N&B are part of the Hymer group there are quite some differences in the construction, as someone else mentioned there is no wood in the structural build, just the furniture uses some kind of faced plywood.

There is not much not to like about it. I would be surprised if you were disappointed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pugsy

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Well folks ,thank you very much for all your input and advice.👍
I paid a deposit today on The van and will do a swap with my van next week en route to the Lincoln show. Happy with the deal I got.
Now a member of the N&B club😁
Cheers Cris 🍻.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Paul

Same as Niesmann I guess so the frame splits at the joint you can see half way up, you need to drill out the rivets and then there is plate holding the frame together and also a pin in the alloy frame section but this just drifts of of the way with a bit of gentle persuasion, the vertical glazing bar is just a screw at either end but ours was stuck to the DG panel, the glass panels can be tight (stuck in the frame) and take a bit of persuading, easier when you have broken them :LOL:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pugsy

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Cheers,

Hi Jock did you manage to get your glass replaced today,be interesting to see the results and find out a bit more about it as the van I am getting has misting in the N/S ,I did know this before going to see it but am willing to deal with it,I do like a challenge 😅.
Cheers Cris 🍻

Upvote 0
Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Well folks ,thank you very much for all your input and advice.👍
I paid a deposit today on The van and will do a swap with my van next week en route to the Lincoln show. Happy with the deal I got.
Now a member of the N&B club😁
Cheers Cris 🍻.
Your. In the posh club now mate. Over the moon for you. And get some pics up. 🌟🌟👍

Upvote 0
Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
You can see the video in the link of the first post😁, although it was a bit dirtier than how it looks in the video when I seen it yesterday 😅
It’s a lovely van mate. Can’t wait to raid the drinks cabinet. And the his and her showers are a class act. 👍🌟

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi Jock did you manage to get your glass replaced today,be interesting to see the results and find out a bit more about it as the van I am getting has misting in the N/S ,I did know this before going to see it but am willing to deal with it,I do like a challenge 😅.
Cheers Cris 🍻
Hi Chris. :)

I've just posted on Northernraider Tam's thread, so images copied and pasted here for you. (y)

1726212867627.png
1726212883279.png
1726212896704.png
1726212908765.png

This is the second MH we've had where DG units have had to be replaced, but they can be horrendously expensive, pending your source. On the Hymer, we had the static units replaced with laminated glass which worked well for us, with very little difference to the comfort of the cab area. We have to use a Karcher window vac for the windscreen anyway, when not using external screen covers, so a quick swipe on the side windows if required, is no hassle at all. Applying the cab air con to the screen vents as soon as you start up, stops them re-condensating.

On the Flair, I couldn't get laminated from my source, so 11mm toughened it had to be.

The job above took two of us a day and a half to complete, with the main hassle having to overcome the original bonding used on the units to the frames, at the factory build stage. Blood and sweat definitely featured.......................with tears almost creeping in there. ;)

I appreciate the above work detracts from the original spec, but I can't be doing with replacing DG units, which then fail within a couple of years or so. :(

HTH,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pugsy

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012

I've just posted on Northernraider Tam's thread, so images copied and pasted here for you. (y)

View attachment 948659 View attachment 948660 View attachment 948661 View attachment 948662

This is the second MH we've had where DG units have had to be replaced, but they can be horrendously expensive, pending your source. On the Hymer, we had the static units replaced with laminated glass which worked well for us, with very little difference to the comfort of the cab area. We have to use a Karcher window vac for the windscreen anyway, when not using external screen covers, so a quick swipe on the side windows if required, is no hassle at all. Applying the cab air con to the screen vents as soon as you start up, stops them re-condensating.

On the Flair, I couldn't get laminated from my source, so 11mm toughened it had to be.

The job above took two of us a day and a half to complete, with the main hassle having to overcome the original bonding used on the units to the frames, at the factory build stage. Blood and sweat definitely featured.......................with tears almost creeping in there. ;)

I appreciate the above work detracts from the original spec, but I can't be doing with replacing DG units, which then fail within a couple of years or so. :(

HTH,

Thanks for replying Jock. The new window looks good,I will have to have a conversation about the process with you, as I don't fancy paying out loads of Dosh for a recurring problem either.Are you going to the Lincoln show this year?
I am following Tams post Northernraider aswell all interesting stuff just about to catch up from yesterday.
Cheers Cris 🍻

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pugsy

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
No Chris, as we should have been in Germany, so didn't plan Lincoln at all. :(

Cheers,

That's a pity you didn't get over the water for your trip.
I will PM you after I pick up the van and have a chat about the window if your ok with that .

Cheers Cris 🍻

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

View attachment 948659 View attachment 948660 View attachment 948661 View attachment 948662

HTH,

Jock, where did you get the glass from please, and would they be willing to fix?

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Jock, where did you get the glass from please, and would they be willing to fix?
Sorry Peter, the glass came from a friend of a friend, who knows a bloke in the trade, etc. I just supplied a blown unit as a template for sizing.
Any decent glazing company would be able to supply using a template.
The other option is to suffer a breakage, and then wait ages for your insurers preferred company to source a new unit, and fit it for you. 🤷‍♂️
But having had Autoglass out to our Hymer 4 x times, I can assure you they do not share your thoughts about looking after the MH, the way you would. :(

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Congratulations Pugsy it looked a fantastic bargain - we've just arrived into Yorkshire ourselves for a family wedding, and if you hadn't bought it, I would have certainly gone for a look myself on the way home 😎

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back