Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 15, 2017
Fylde coast lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
02/14
We are off to Spain 1st week in January and looking at alternatives to our usual Dover-Calais and Newhaven-Dieppe looks appealing but wonder if 4 hours on channel at that time of year is a bad idea, has anyone done this crossing in January?

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
Dogs?
4h+ is a long time to leave them in the van.

Although I've never taken my van across the channel, it's now at the back of my mind for next year, if/when I get another hound.
I was surprised to learn that Newhaven, Dover, Folkestone are almost equidistant from home, so port would not be a deciding issue. Hound facilities would be.
From memory I think there are just a couple of pet friendly cabins but otherwise your pet stays in the van.
Sounds like you do not currently have a dog? If your new dog is used to being left in the van e.g on your drive there should not be a problem. I have a friend with a Spaniel who happily "lives" in the back of her station wagon on her own for quite a few hours on many a day!

Upvote 0
Aug 3, 2024
Greater Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
We did this crossing a few times with our old caravan. One time, the return leg coincided with 'the storm of the century' and every single boat was cancelled........

except ours šŸ˜³

With a great sense of theatre, el capitan announced it was a little breezy outside, but nice and comfy inside - and we should definitely stay inside and enjoy the ride.

I wish I could tell you stories of the furniture/ piano sliding around and everyone falling over, but it didn't happen. They are gigantic boats.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back