Newbies -Just about to buy Hobby 750 2.8 2001 -what should we look out for? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
LittleLath You did the right thing by walking away.

No service history might mean it has been serviced by the owner but with issues on the MOT in addition to little service history then keep your money.

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
"So we’d ideally like a fixed bed and a shower and needs to be 4 berth.

Budget up to about £13-£14k ......"

At that price and spec it is going to be over 20 years old and possibly by some margin.

At that price and no vehicle to part-ex you are going to get most for your money from a private sale. Trouble is you will get no 3/6 month warranty with a private sale and essentially will have no recourse to your seller.

Ideally you are looking for likely an older seller who has lavished care on his MH but is having to admit, reluctantly, that their motor-homing days are over. Trouble is older motor-homes often suffer neglect through waning interest or illness and stand unused for ever longer periods before ultimate sale. Spotting the wrong'un from the right'un requires experience that you do not have.

The more you view and reject vans because things do not feel right the more experience you will gain. So take your time.

Finally watch out for scams. There are a lot out there. They are normally adverts from pretend companies that do not exist or where a thief has hijacked a genuine website. The telltale hallmark is that their entire stock will be well below dealer market price and when you ask to view you are told the vehicle is stored and cannot be easily accessed for some spurious reason. Never part with money even a supposedly (returnable) holding deposit until you have viewed the vehicle unless dealing with a mega dealer (and even then be careful. Several dealers have gone bust!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Boringfrog

Free Member
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
So we’d ideally like a fixed bed and a shower and needs to be 4 berth.

Budget up to about £13-£14k

What would you recommend folks

I need your expertise.

I’m from the Midlands, partner is from Essex so ideally around those areas if possible. But if there’s a solid one to look at, we will travel

Thanks in advance
Could you not stretch to around £20K ?

OP
OP
L
Aug 19, 2024
Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
just-looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
My fellas best mate buys and sells cars and vans. So we’ve decided to get a LWB medium height transit or sprinter and Marc will fit it out. Hes a chippy and multi-trade. So we can get a 6 year old van which is sold and get it exactly how we want it, without it looking dated

We know what we’re buying then as Dan will have got it on the ramp etc and serviced it for us. We’ll get all the service records then too, there were so many red flags with that one. I’m just glad we had the confidence to walk away

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back