Newbies -Just about to buy Hobby 750 2.8 2001 -what should we look out for? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 19, 2024
Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
just-looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
Morning All.

First post and never bought a motorhome before

We’re just about to buy a Hobby 750 2.8 2001 -what should we look out for?

I’ve just seen a post on rotten floors etc.

What check overs should we be doing please ?

I don’t want to buy something which ends up being too good to be true. It looks really clean and well looked after. But we’re an hour and half from the dealer. So want to make sure we’re doing the right thing.

Any experienced owners/Mechanics near Doncaster who we could pay for their time to join us to check it over for us ?

We’re travelling up Wednesday 21st August and should get there early afternoon

Thanks in advance

Looking forward to meeting some of you in our travels, if you have any top tips for newbies, we’d love to hear them 😀

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
They are an exelent buy loads in Germany always look the business ,is it the one with 3 windows down the side,check service record and timing belt replacement .The dealer I go to in Germany has the Hobby. C.Lub go there for servicing

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
I don't know how well read up you are and I don't know the model but I suspect that it is going to be plated at over 3500kg so you are going to need the right licence category to drive it and will have to take medicals post 70 every two years to keep that licence category.
It is for that reason that I will not consider anything plated at over 3500kg. ATM I would pass the medical with flying colours. But who knows for the future?
P.S. And of course all named drivers would have to be similarly qualified or anybody driving 3rd party via their own insurance.

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Kiko Mizuhara Hello GIF

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I don't know how well read up you are and I don't know the model but I suspect that it is going to be plated at over 3500kg so you are going to need the right licence category to drive it and will have to take medicals post 70 every two years to keep that licence category.
It is for that reason that I will not consider anything plated at over 3500kg. ATM I would pass the medical with flying colours. But who knows for the future?
P.S. And of course all named drivers would have to be similarly qualified or anybody driving 3rd party via their own insurance.
I think you’ll find its every three years.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Older Ducato.....

Front cross member under radiator - rots from spray on road - easy replacement.
Earth straps rot from inside out. Add new extra ones and replace old.
Diesel filter has water dump valve under it and they perish - easy fix.
Make sure every appliance actually works - water pump, heater, fans, boiler, waste tanks, taps etc.......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 15, 2022
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
1 year and a bit
Defo check cam belt change requirements, if someone tells you it doesn’t have one, check yourself.
Check for damp.
Maybe get a local caravan mobile man to check?
Buy some diesel.
Enjoy!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Welcome to the house of Funsters 🤩

Have a read of this

OP
OP
L
Aug 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
just-looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
Older Ducato.....

Front cross member under radiator - rots from spray on road - easy replacement.
Earth straps rot from inside out. Add new extra ones and replace old.
Diesel filter has water dump valve under it and they perish - easy fix.
Make sure every appliance actually works - water pump, heater, fans, boiler, waste tanks, taps etc.......
Thanks Jev, I don’t suppose you’re based by Yorkshire and fancy coming with us and we’ll pay you ?

OP
OP
L
Aug 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
just-looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
I’ve got a few years yet as I’m 47 😜

Thanks so much , I’m gonna put my fella on my insurance too

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Thanks Jev, I don’t suppose you’re based by Yorkshire and fancy coming with us and we’ll pay you ?
I would but can't travel far due to Nurses orders at the moment. On that age it is worth getting an AA or similar report on the chassis and oily bits. You can test boiler, heater, pumps yourself?

OP
OP
L
Aug 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
just-looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
Thanks everyone for your advice

What a lovely warm welcome 🤗

Hopefully get to meet some of you soon.

Preparing myself to walk away if it’s not right and not fall in love with it

Has anyone had any experience with TY Motorhomes before ?

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
If it’s the one at TY looks in very good nick nice bar layout if I was looking for a motorhome I’d be checking it over.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
If it’s the one at TY looks in very good nick nice bar layout if I was looking for a motorhome I’d be checking it over.
Check the MOT history, doesn't look good to me.

Aug 12, 2012
SOUTH LAKES
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Iclass 740
Exp
since 2010
Hi, firstly, We've had 4 motorhomes and 4 caravans from 6 manufacturers and the Hobby 750 2006 was the best built by a long way in my opinion.

I see you mentioned the Doncaster area. I have just had some work done by Habcheck at their Sandtoft workshop and I'm pleased with the result. They also have a network of mobile Hab check operators who come to you. They would do a pre sale inspection for you. I think it's in the region of £250 but it will be money well spent if they spot a problem.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Boringfrog how did you get the reg to check, doesn't show on any of the photos I saw.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
How do you do that. Sorry this is all so new to me
Boiler - get them to turn on as soon as you get there assuming water is in tank - this checks the tank doesn't leak either. After 15 minutes you should.have 'warm' water at tap.
Heating -depends what type. Turn on to full heat on electric (EHU) or Gas and see if it blows warm after ignition.
Water pump - water should flow but may pulse from Every tap.
Toilet - depends what type but they all flush in one way or another - see it work.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I’ve got a few years yet as I’m 47 😜

Thanks so much , I’m gonna put my fella on my insurance too
Born in 1977, did you pass your driving test before 1997 ??
If so you will be one of the last of the lucky ones with an automatic C1 on your licence.
(Also check your fella's licence)

Without a C1 you can not drive anything over 3.5t,
which rules out a lot of motorhomes and you need to be very closely looking at exactly how many kilos of payload you have.

I would still insist of a weighbridge certificate (or take it to a weighbridge on your test drive) before you even part with a deposit.
Damp and Rust will be other two important things to look at.

OP
OP
L
Aug 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
just-looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
Gutted

When we looked at the MOT from October, had loads of things wrong with it. Stuff about the corrosion and bearings so we walked away. We also didn’t realise that hobby’s don’t get hot water the lady in the cafe said and her partner works there.

Decided that it was too much of a risk to take. It had also had a leak in the roof too, there were some subpar mastic repairs. So we followed our gut and had to leave her behind, we loved the layout though 😢

OP
OP
L
Aug 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
just-looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
So we’d ideally like a fixed bed and a shower and needs to be 4 berth.

Budget up to about £13-£14k

What would you recommend folks

I need your expertise.

I’m from the Midlands, partner is from Essex so ideally around those areas if possible. But if there’s a solid one to look at, we will travel

Thanks in advance

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
"We also didn’t realise that hobby’s don’t get hot water the lady in the cafe said and her partner works there. ..."
I really don't understand that comment. My Hobby T500 has excellent hot water facilities and a quality shower. The only possible sense I could make of it that maybe the Truma system on that Hobby is gas only so there is no electric water heater?
In the price bracket you are wanting there are bound to be things requiring attention now or in the near future - e.g aging tyres that require replacing, tired batteries. In my view your best guide to a good'un is going to be a fairly full service history and MOTs with few advisories.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back