Newbie - MoHo shopping (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hunting
Hi all
SWMBO and I have recently decided it's long overdue that we took the plunge and found something to trundle about in.
Budget up to 40k, needs a garage, flexible on 4/6 berth, fixed rear double, low profile preferably.
Have hired a few in the past, Zefiro 690 being our favourite, but not mad keen on the height of the thing in all honesty.
Any advice, pointers, essentials to consider very much appreciated. :giggle:

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
A good time to buy this autumn. Take you time and enjoy the viewing. Having hired before you already have some valuable knowledge but owning is different from "borrowing". Where are you going to keep it? Where will you use it? UK or Europe? If the latter consider LHD. The height of the driving positions means it is much less of a problem than in a low slung car. Consider ferry charge break points when making your decision. Newhaven-Dieppe is consistently the cheapest crossing for "seniors" and they charge less for under 7 metres.
Layout is most important but reliability on anything used is vital. Generally German vans have a reputation for quality.
You might also want to factor in some upgrading as part of your plan. If so you have a potentially steep learning curve on a) gas bottles and b) LiFePo (lithium) replacement batteries. Good luck on the latter. I am still learning!!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi and a very warm welcome to the house of Funster 🤩

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
Weight of vehicle and your driving licence categories will be a big factor, especially in the size of MH you are considering.
Do subscribe and download the excellent MH Buyers Guide.

Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
Welcome :welcome3:
It's fast becoming a buyers market at the moment, with plenty of dealer stock and good discounts on most models.
Take your time and choose carefully. Decide the detailed layout you want first to narrow it down, then take it from there.
Good luck.

OP
OP
Plynchy
Aug 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hunting
Thanks all.
Once we get sorted we fully intend to spend some time in Europe, had several car trips there already, it's fantastic (avatar pic from Austria a few weeks ago).
Fortunately (or not) I'm old enough to have a cover all driving licence.
Re pricing, does the collective mind finally think that it's becoming a buyers market after the last few years of lunacy? It's not just campers, cars have been the same.
Got a shortlist building up of things to view once I get home from work in a couple of weeks.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Thanks all.
Once we get sorted we fully intend to spend some time in Europe, had several car trips there already, it's fantastic (avatar pic from Austria a few weeks ago).
Fortunately (or not) I'm old enough to have a cover all driving licence.
Re pricing, does the collective mind finally think that it's becoming a buyers market after the last few years of lunacy? It's not just campers, cars have been the same.
Got a shortlist building up of things to view once I get home from work in a couple of weeks.

Welcome….

Yes, now is a fairly good time to buy and a cheeky offer is advisable…

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Welcome to the fun house!

If you become a full subscribed Funster you will be able to access the resources for free in which there is a buyer guide which will give you details of the things you need to consider. As a free member you only get 5 posts so won't be able to ask many more questions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back