Newbie looking for first MH (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 7, 2024
nr Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi all,
A newbie here, as per title looking for 1st m/h. I'm a 61 year old plastics engineer from the East Midlands about 10 mins from Donnington Park/East Mids Airport. I'm a keen motorcyclist, canoe/kayaker and camper.
Looking for advice re m/h, I really like the layout of the Autocruise Stardream and Starspirit with the end lounge area. I'm not a rich man 🤦‍♂😂 so have set my budget at £20~£25k. I know I'm looking at a 17 to 20 year old (pre-Swift) van for that price and understand the potential problems that may bring.
Just curious, does anyone know if either of the above can be re-plated to over 3500kg?
Any comments, advice or recommendations would be most welcome and appreciated. Thanks.
Mick

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi there and welcome 🤗

Don’t know what chassis those particular models are on but likely Fiat, if that’s the case then it is likely ( but I’m not certain) they will go to 3650 or possibly 3850 without any issues. Above that may need suspension and tyre changes at least.
An issue to watch out is often up plating without modification will often only give additional load over the front axle, which is not often useful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Bbc Three Hello GIF by Afro-Mic Productions

Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
Most vans at 17-20 years have a fraction of the mileage you might find on a car and, with a diesel engine, have bags of life left in them. The same cannot always be said for the internal fittings and low mileage does not always mean limited use. Equally limited use may mean neglect.

Your best guide is a full service history which will indicate a fastidious owner.

With no van to trade in you could do well with a private sale but, ironically like me, you likely lack the experience to spot problems and might benefit from purchase from a trustworthy small dealer! They at least can give you a warranty. I managed to negotiate a 6 rather than 3 month warranty on my 2007 Hobby T500. That also told me that the warranty companies trusted my dealer with few if any warranty claims.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
Exp
Spring 2024
I have seen quite a few with <50k miles so mechanically still 'young', I believe the bigger problem could be damp ingress.
A full service history should include "hab reports". They will be near mandatory while the van is under warranty but you might have them at say 2-3 year intervals in more recent years from a fastidious owner.

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
I have seen quite a few with <50k miles so mechanically still 'young', I believe the bigger problem could be damp ingress.
You're spot on there!! Be careful and buy a decent damp meter. We have a 20 year old Niesmann and Bischoff Arto... love it!! Off to France tomorrow 🥳🥳

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi all,
A newbie here, as per title looking for 1st m/h. I'm a 61 year old plastics engineer from the East Midlands about 10 mins from Donnington Park/East Mids Airport. I'm a keen motorcyclist, canoe/kayaker and camper.
Looking for advice re m/h, I really like the layout of the Autocruise Stardream and Starspirit with the end lounge area. I'm not a rich man 🤦‍♂😂 so have set my budget at £20~£25k. I know I'm looking at a 17 to 20 year old (pre-Swift) van for that price and understand the potential problems that may bring.
Just curious, does anyone know if either of the above can be re-plated to over 3500kg?
Any comments, advice or recommendations would be most welcome and appreciated. Thanks.
Mick
Hopefully this might help with your search and any questions you might need to ask 👍🏻

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back