Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I was wondering the same too but it's not unknown for some light chassis versions to have 16" wheels if they've got alloys (not sure if this one has or not) - I've just look up the MH and it is on the Fiat frame 35 light chassis:

http://www.carthago.com/en/motorhomes/semi-integrated/c-tourer-t/technical-data/?tx_fahrzeugdaten_fzserie[uid]=3845&tx_fahrzeugdaten_fzserie[action]=detail&tx_fahrzeugdaten_fzserie[controller]=Serie&cHash=fef72c6c6bd4e7d838f1b5708acfb2f7

It`s the fact the it (seemingly) left the converter with 16" wheels. In which case the Drive gear ratio would HAVE been altered to make the Speedometer comply?. Or it would not be legal?. It which case It is IMV likely that the Chassis components would be from "Stock", and not "Custom".?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thanks Guys, yes our 2017 Carthago C Tourer 148H , as Minxy Girl suggests we do have the Fiat Light Chassis with 16inch alloys fitted as an option, so the larger tyres also 225x75xR16 115 loading.
Not sure whether the final drive gear ratio for the speedo was altered to facilitate the larger16 inch alloys, cant see Carthago doing that themselves somehow, unless they have a selection of Fiat Cabs in stock to choose from. It would make sense I suppose to do this, however given the large tolerances allowed on MH speedometers these days do the actually care that much?

It was SV Tech that advised me to get Rear Air Assist fitted to enable the rear axel load to be increased from 2000KGs to 2250 KGs, giving a max MTPLM of 3850 KGs.
Reading comments from PeteH, I am not sure whether Air Assist was recommended as an "Aid" or a "Cure" in getting the rear axle weight from 2000KGs up to 2250KGs, It was SV tech suggestion to do this, so I am listening to their experience on that recommendation. It will be interesting to see & feel any difference that fitting the rear air assist will have to the overall driving experience or feel of the van...If I have to go down that route.
We have decided to load the van up with our travel stuff, ourselves, and half tanks, and get it weighed again, before going down the air assist route, which I think is sound advice also.

Thanks everyone for your opinions, it all helps.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have decided to load the van up with our travel stuff, ourselves, and half tanks, and get it weighed again, before going down the air assist route, which I think is sound advice also.
You would be better filling the tanks completely so you know for a fact what's in them, rather than trying to 'guess' they are at 50% as the gauges aren't always that accurate. Don't forget to get the axle's weighed separately.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Yes will do Minxy, great advice as usual, Thanks

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Now you have me intrigued, It would be interesting to know just WHAT IS the actual difference between the "light" and "Heavy" Chassis?. Ie; Physical construction like heavier gauge pressings, more bracing. OR just an uprated rear axle? and possibly Brake size?. I do know that the cost of fitting "Air" to an older standard Alko chassis is horrendous (£2500ish.) Although the Later chassis, as I understand it, can be converted by Alko, but at what cost?.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Now you have me intrigued, It would be interesting to know just WHAT IS the actual difference between the "light" and "Heavy" Chassis?. Ie; Physical construction like heavier gauge pressings, more bracing. OR just an uprated rear axle? and possibly Brake size?. I do know that the cost of fitting "Air" to an older standard Alko chassis is horrendous (£2500ish.) Although the Later chassis, as I understand it, can be converted by Alko, but at what cost?.
Many folks have purchased (basic) air assist systems from Marcle leisure (Dunlop), or V&P for around £399 ish to fit themselves as its easy,if they can get the back axle off the ground to work under safely (check out you tube videos on MH air assist fitting), or have it fitted by the dealers for around £150 to £175 labour.
We were quoted about a thousand to have the all singing/dancing rear air suspension with on board compressor and dash gauges and switches last week from SAP engineering.
With this in place then SV tech will re-plate the rear axle at 2250KGs, which could be an option should we wish to go that far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back