New to the group, and looking for first van (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Atholl

Free Member
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
just looking
Hi everyone, a friend of mine suggested I should join this group for advice and pointers. I’m looking to purchase my first camper van, a VW t6-32 it’s a 2017 fitted out to a very high spec, 35 thousand miles and the seller is asking £38000. Iv looked at many and I like this one but have no idea if these are good vans or what common problems they might have so any advice would be greatly appreciated
Many thanks in advance
Atholl

IMG_1158.jpeg

IMG_1155.jpeg

IMG_1152.jpeg

IMG_1156.jpeg

IMG_1153.jpeg

IMG_1160.jpeg

IMG_1162.jpeg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

That one isn't much more, but gives you a lot more .... I have no connections with the seller! Check out the classifieds on here, you may find alternatives..

And welcome to the Fun House !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
:pink: to Fun. I don't wish to be mercenary, and here's the but, you'll get a wealth of information apart from your initial query if you pay the subs to become a full member.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Hi everyone, a friend of mine suggested I should join this group for advice and pointers. I’m looking to purchase my first camper van, a VW t6-32 it’s a 2017 fitted out to a very high spec, 35 thousand miles and the seller is asking £38000. Iv looked at many and I like this one but have no idea if these are good vans or what common problems they might have so any advice would be greatly appreciated
Many thanks in advance
Atholl

View attachment 929349

View attachment 929350

View attachment 929351

View attachment 929352

View attachment 929353

View attachment 929354

View attachment 929355
Welcome Atholl. ;)

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Hi and welcome!

I have a VW Transporter based van, although older than the one you're considering. Mine is a T5 (and a T32). A Hillside Birchover. A few comments follow which you may find useful, or can ignore!

I'm assuming you've been to have a look. If not, when you do go, take an in depth look at everything and make sure it all works as it should. Especially things like the bed and the double front seat as you'll be moving them often. The double front seats can be a PiTA to turn, so make sure you get a good demo, and can do it yourself. Take a close look at the roof. Make sure it goes up and down without problems. Check the canvas for snags, marks and tears. Canvas takes a beating, and this van is eight years old so you may expect a few marks, but if there are any repairs make sure they've been done properly. Check for water leaks, around the roof, and under/behind the sink.

Interiors of small (well, any) vans are very much down to personal preference. Make sure it's all well fitted and in good condition. You may laugh, but a few years ago I photographed a van for a magazine and the owner said when they bought it the installation was so bad that the whole interior run of units could be moved away from the vehicle side! Stuff like 'pull tested' beds are only any use if they are properly fitted. If it's a professional conversion it should be correctly put together!

How has the base vehicle been maintained? Ask questions and look at the records. If it's not been PROPERLY looked after, on schedule, walk away. Some of the VW engines are particularly sensitive to poor servicing/incorrect oils etc. Skimping on servicing can result in big bills. There are lots of fantastic people in the VW world, but there are also a lot of 'bodgers' and some of those spend money on stuff you can see, but don't really look after the mechanicals properly. If your van isn't mechanically sound your ownership will be miserable (and expensive). Some of the DIY stuff which gets posted up (with pride!) on VW forums/groups is frankly dangerous and alarming. If it's been modified (engine and suspension mods are VERY common as I'm sure you'll already know), ask questions, and make sure the work has been done properly. Don't assume anything. I bought my van, a professional conversion, from a HUGE dealer, and about five years afterwards when I took my alloys off to have them refurbished I discovered they weren't sufficiently load rated for a T32. Stuff like that matters, and I'm always amazed that lots of van owners don't seem to think that it does...

If it's a 2017 van, I think it will be ULEZ/CAZ compliant. I'd check that. You can easily do that on line. Vans which aren't, are impacted on value. If I were buying now, I'd be looking for one which IS compliant, even though the rules are likely to change over time of course.

Has it had a habitation service in the last couple of years? Not having one wouldn't be a deal breaker if I were buying a van as lots of people don't bother with them or do the checks themselves, but they do cover ALL the elements of the 'camper' bit, and should pick up on any issues with the gas or electrics. Gas bottles should be securely stowed, and there should be unimpeded gas drop out vents. If the van has an underslung tank, bear in mind that these have a ten year life span before needing to be professionally serviced (an option which is extremely limited in the UK) or replaced.

Prices of vans are VERY variable at the moment, so only you will know if the price is right for you. I'm sure you'll have done plenty of searches within your budget so you'll know what your funds can buy you.
It'll be worth joining the T6 Forum online if you're not already a member. There, you'll be able to get answers to pretty much any specific question you may have about your potential purchase.
Again, there are some t0$$£rs about in the VW world (as everywhere... 🙄), but there are also lots of great people who will help you if they can.
Good luck with your search! I've had my VW for ten years and it's one of the best things I've ever bought. 😀

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
If he had messaged me yesterday or Saturday about the van I could have looked at it as I remember seeing it on our bike ride yesterday. 🥴
Atholl is a fellow SuperDuke owner.
IMG_8295.jpeg

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Hi bigtree and Atholl,

Well had I picked this message up earlier I would have done my best to do a write-up for you but Tonks has beaten me to it and written all that I could have said. Thanks Tonks.
By 2017 the frequently troublesome VW T6 engine had been fixed, well in most cases. To check the manufacturing model year see the tenth digit of the VIN this web page will help as all manufacturers abide by the same notation now. VW model years nominally run August to July.
Personally I would avoid the lower power version with the five speed gearbox but only for its lack of power.

As for the price, I have just sold a high roof 2016 T6 with 80k plus on the clock for more than that.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

Rod

OP
OP
A

Atholl

Free Member
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
just looking
Hi and welcome!

I have a VW Transporter based van, although older than the one you're considering. Mine is a T5 (and a T32). A Hillside Birchover. A few comments follow which you may find useful, or can ignore!

I'm assuming you've been to have a look. If not, when you do go, take an in depth look at everything and make sure it all works as it should. Especially things like the bed and the double front seat as you'll be moving them often. The double front seats can be a PiTA to turn, so make sure you get a good demo, and can do it yourself. Take a close look at the roof. Make sure it goes up and down without problems. Check the canvas for snags, marks and tears. Canvas takes a beating, and this van is eight years old so you may expect a few marks, but if there are any repairs make sure they've been done properly. Check for water leaks, around the roof, and under/behind the sink.

Interiors of small (well, any) vans are very much down to personal preference. Make sure it's all well fitted and in good condition. You may laugh, but a few years ago I photographed a van for a magazine and the owner said when they bought it the installation was so bad that the whole interior run of units could be moved away from the vehicle side! Stuff like 'pull tested' beds are only any use if they are properly fitted. If it's a professional conversion it should be correctly put together!

How has the base vehicle been maintained? Ask questions and look at the records. If it's not been PROPERLY looked after, on schedule, walk away. Some of the VW engines are particularly sensitive to poor servicing/incorrect oils etc. Skimping on servicing can result in big bills. There are lots of fantastic people in the VW world, but there are also a lot of 'bodgers' and some of those spend money on stuff you can see, but don't really look after the mechanicals properly. If your van isn't mechanically sound your ownership will be miserable (and expensive). Some of the DIY stuff which gets posted up (with pride!) on VW forums/groups is frankly dangerous and alarming. If it's been modified (engine and suspension mods are VERY common as I'm sure you'll already know), ask questions, and make sure the work has been done properly. Don't assume anything. I bought my van, a professional conversion, from a HUGE dealer, and about five years afterwards when I took my alloys off to have them refurbished I discovered they weren't sufficiently load rated for a T32. Stuff like that matters, and I'm always amazed that lots of van owners don't seem to think that it does...

If it's a 2017 van, I think it will be ULEZ/CAZ compliant. I'd check that. You can easily do that on line. Vans which aren't, are impacted on value. If I were buying now, I'd be looking for one which IS compliant, even though the rules are likely to change over time of course.

Has it had a habitation service in the last couple of years? Not having one wouldn't be a deal breaker if I were buying a van as lots of people don't bother with them or do the checks themselves, but they do cover ALL the elements of the 'camper' bit, and should pick up on any issues with the gas or electrics. Gas bottles should be securely stowed, and there should be unimpeded gas drop out vents. If the van has an underslung tank, bear in mind that these have a ten year life span before needing to be professionally serviced (an option which is extremely limited in the UK) or replaced.

Prices of vans are VERY variable at the moment, so only you will know if the price is right for you. I'm sure you'll have done plenty of searches within your budget so you'll know what your funds can buy you.
It'll be worth joining the T6 Forum online if you're not already a member. There, you'll be able to get answers to pretty much any specific question you may have about your potential purchase.
Again, there are some t0$$£rs about in the VW world (as everywhere... 🙄), but there are also lots of great people who will help you if they can.
Good luck with your search! I've had my VW for ten years and it's one of the best things I've ever bought. 😀
Wow, thank you so much for all the information, to be honest I’m an absolute novice and as for the habitation check u mentioned, I had no idea there was such a thing but does make sense 🤷‍♂️, im so greatfull for all your advice and am just about to message the seller with some more questions.
Thank you so much tonks

OP
OP
A

Atholl

Free Member
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
just looking
If he had messaged me yesterday or Saturday about the van I could have looked at it as I remember seeing it on our bike ride yesterday. 🥴
Atholl is a fellow SuperDuke owner.
View attachment 929376
If only i had known , but the folks on here are fantastic and given me w wealth of knowledge and understanding regards what i should be looking at when viewing , thanks to all, and thank Big tree ☺

OP
OP
A

Atholl

Free Member
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
just looking
Hi and welcome!

Thanks again Tonks
Im beginning to realize just how much i dont know about my newfound intended hobby, but your advice already is invaluable for me. The van im looking at is compliant with the ULEZ / laws but i dont know what the CAZ is ? and im about to message the seller regarding the habitation service, do you know how often these should be carried out ?

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Clean air zone Atholl, you’re alright where you live. 🤣🤣

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

Atholl

Free Member
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
just looking
Hi bigtree and Atholl,

Well had I picked this message up earlier I would have done my best to do a write-up for you but Tonks has beaten me to it and written all that I could have said. Thanks Tonks.
By 2017 the frequently troublesome VW T6 engine had been fixed, well in most cases. To check the manufacturing model year see the tenth digit of the VIN this web page will help as all manufacturers abide by the same notation now. VW model years nominally run August to July.
Personally I would avoid the lower power version with the five speed gearbox but only for its lack of power.

As for the price, I have just sold a high roof 2016 T6 with 80k plus on the clock for more than that.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

Rod
Hi Rod
Thanks for your help as well, im actually feeling very humbled as to the guidance and help im getting from all you folks and cant thank you all enough. No doubt ill be begging much more help in the forsable future as im a total novice, but chomping at the bit to get out exploring and parking up under the stars and chilling out ☺

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Rod
Thanks for your help as well, im actually feeling very humbled as to the guidance and help im getting from all you folks and cant thank you all enough. No doubt ill be begging much more help in the forsable future as im a total novice, but chomping at the bit to get out exploring and parking up under the stars and chilling out ☺
Time to cough up £20 now mate. 🤣🤣

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Thanks again Tonks
Im beginning to realize just how much i dont know about my newfound intended hobby, but your advice already is invaluable for me. The van im looking at is compliant with the ULEZ / laws but i dont know what the CAZ is ? and im about to message the seller regarding the habitation service, do you know how often these should be carried out ?
Hi Atholl

Habitation services are something which are usually done annually on new vans to maintain the warranty, but then the periods vary. Technically they run annually, but lots of people don't have them done at all, as they're confident they can do all the necessary checks themselves. My VW is pretty straightforward in terms of the living area and I generally get a habitation service every couple of years or so. In fact, it's booked in for one in September, and the last one it had was in March 2022 and prior to that in April 2019. Last time they fixed a couple of things which I was so used to not working that I forgot to even mention them to the guys who did the service! It also picked up that my water pump was failing, which I'd not noticed because the loss of pressure had happened gradually over time. When it was replaced, the difference was dramatic! The check/action sheet was two full A4 sheets, so a surprising amount was checked. The prior year it picked up that a gas hose was at its expiry date and changed it. (Now, I could've noticed that myself if I'd checked, but I obviously hadn't thought to check it before the service.)

I won't be at all surprised to find that the van you're considering has not had one for quite a few years. If you're not buying from a dealer, it may be worth the outlay to have a habitation service done when (if) you buy the van, to be sure that everything is in good order, and to pick up on any - hopefully small - things which need to be done.

I suspect that, in talking to the vendor and seeing the van, you'll get a good idea of how well it has been looked after.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Hi Atholl
Being a 'self-build' person I have never even considered a habitation service as I know more about the van's construction and fittings than anyone else who may look over it.
However as you admit that you are new to the game it would be wise to have an experienced workshop or knowledgeable individual go over it carefully to check integrity and safety, likewise the check over the base vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back