New to motorhomes seeks advice on looos

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Benemar Primero 202
After sailing yachts for near on four decades, I have swallowed the anchor and come ashore. So I’m starting a new adventure with a motorhome. Like a yacht, you have to carry everything on board in a motorhome. But the toilets are somewhat different. Most older boats simply pump the heads overboard.
I have read the manual from Benemar. It seems to have originally been written in Italian, then translated into French which was translated into German and finally translated into English. In short it doesn’t make much sense. It talks about charging the toilet cassette. But I can’t find a picture of where to charge and how to empty.
What do I look for where?

Jim

Ringleader
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you post a photo of the throne or the tank, members will be able to give you a blow by blow account showing precisely how it works.

Meanwhile, this article should help with any general motorhome ablution questions (y)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Most people buy and use blue toilet fluid, camping shops sell it as does go outdoors. There are other options which may be more environmentally friendly.
Charging probably refers to putting a dose of the fluid in.
The fluid prevents bad smells.
You cassette is then emptied in an Elsan point on a campsite or by lifting a manhole cover at home to empty. Just make sure it's a foul sewer drain and not surface water if you have a modern house. Most older houses have a combined drain system but you need to investigate this.
There are also options to use no fluid with a SOG system but that's another story.

w2f

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If it's the "Thetford Swivel Bowl" it will be a standard cassette, I guess charging possibly refers to adding some treatment to the empty cassette, that in itself is a subject worthy of a few pages of discussion, likewise emptying but in essence it goes something like, Remove cassette, Discharge contents responsibly (usually a disposal point on a site or possibly a sewer manhole or even toilet at home) refit cassette.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
If you are going to use the smaller CL and CS type sites don’t bother with blue toilet chemicals. Many of them insist on green toilet additives because the blue ones destroy their septic tanks and sewage treatment systems. Add the chemical direct to the cassette, don’t tip it in via the toilet bowl.

If someone overfills the toilet and it backs up into the bowl do not remove the cassette but leave the flap open. Then go outside, open the hatch, swing the drain spout out, position something below the spout to catch the overflow and then remove the drainage cap. When the bowl is drained close the flap and remove the cassette as normal.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Welcome and have Fun.

Overall, the toilet use, choice of fluid and disposal could fill a book but the truth IMO?

Too much is made of it, just a job that has do be done and when done properly and fastidiously, not the number one (or number 2 😀 ) job I'd choose but much better than the experiences of the early morning 'shovel' patrol.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
After sailing yachts for near on four decades, I have swallowed the anchor and come ashore. So I’m starting a new adventure with a motorhome. Like a yacht, you have to carry everything on board in a motorhome. But the toilets are somewhat different. Most older boats simply pump the heads overboard.
I have read the manual from Benemar. It seems to have originally been written in Italian, then translated into French which was translated into German and finally translated into English. In short it doesn’t make much sense. It talks about charging the toilet cassette. But I can’t find a picture of where to charge and how to empty.
What do I look for where?
If its the usual cassette type toilet, then the cassette will likely be directly under the bowl, on the outside of the vehicle there will probably be a hatch to access the cassette itself. There are other types but this is a common arrangement.

So if this is what you have, then with the toilet flap/lever in the closed position you will be able to to remove the cassette for emptying/cleaning/dosing with a bit of chemical (of your choice, hopefully one of the organic/green types). Most sites will have an "Elsan" or CDP for emptying/rinsing.

All very simple and convenient.

Our last two boats had holding tanks and Tecma toilets, and we have the same on the van, but a holding tank is best emptied at a ground level facility which are less common. The cassette system is well catered for in sites, so because of that it's all very convenient. Unlike the Ocean the cassette has a limited capacity of around 17-20lt, but with care can last a couple a few days - On a previous van we carried a spare for the odd occasion we were away from facilities for longer.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
  • Funny
Reactions: Jim
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
And you may have a separate tank for flush water, or it may be fed from the on board water system.

If it has its own tank, a little rinse aid smells better than the personal organic stuff!

Tony.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
If you are on campsite there's actually no need for toilet fluid. Use the facilities for big jobs or just empty the cassette every day.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
W hy would you even consider taking holiday time every day to empty the loo?

Waste of fresh water for a start!

Sorry to be direct but I just don’t understand.

Apologies!

Tony

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp

Apologies!

Tony
Because I don't want to use chemicals. I'm not short of 10 mins in a day.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.

Apologies!

Tony

Because if you don't it overflows and makes the van smelly.....and wet.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
If you are going to use the smaller CL and CS type sites don’t bother with blue toilet chemicals. Many of them insist on green toilet additives because the blue ones destroy their septic tanks and sewage treatment systems. Add the chemical direct to the cassette, don’t tip it in via the toilet bowl.

If someone overfills the toilet and it backs up into the bowl do not remove the cassette but leave the flap open. Then go outside, open the hatch, swing the drain spout out, position something below the spout to catch the overflow and then remove the drainage cap. When the bowl is drained close the flap and remove the cassette as normal.
Have never overfilled a cassette, I did think to empty a little it would be like siphoning petrol, stick a pipe down the bowl and suck on the tube….. bit like petrol timing is everything 🤢
…..think your approach is a better one 😉👍

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
:HelloThere: And :WelcomeFlag:

Can’t help with your problem I’m afraid. I’m a girl, and the toilet is definitely a blue job! :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back